Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #226
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I just pruned all the governmenty shit to CSM.

Keep it about the bikes, please.
Thanks
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #227
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Thanks
+1 Keep up the good work!

Regards, Paul
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #228
pauljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
My first bike was a 69 Honda CL350, and I've had 4 or 5 more along the way. I had pretty much given up the thought of ever owning another Honda, seems like they were totally lost for the past 10 or so years, from my standpoint anyway. My recent purchase of a Bonneville really put me back in touch with a just plain motorcycle. Don't particularly care for the mag wheel Bonnie handling but I'm hoping to finish out my riding career on one of those CB1100's if they keep them around till I can afford one. Way to go Honda, someone woke you up!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #229
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
It bodes well for us all since the competition will have to respond.
By rolling over and going back to sleep. Honda appears to be no major threat to any of the competition, if these models are harbingers of their future. I guess that Honda is content to make bland automobiles and let those pay the corporate bills. Unfortunately that blandness seems to be their hallmark today. (Although they make some nice generators and lawn mowers...)

Your praise for the Wing (and the not un-noticed slam of the K16) is amusing. There is nothing new in that bike that isn't subtractive. No new motor, no new suspension, just cosmetics. Following the H-D model to attract H-D clientele?

You can gig the Euros if you want, but look at sales in the last four years. ONLY the Euros have shown sales increases, whether or not you admire the new releases that have contributed to those increases. If copying the "sumo" bikes like the GS is so easy, why has Honda declined to offer a competitor.

My feeling about Honda is that I feel like they're capable of so much more. I admire that they've put some energy into the small-to-middleweight market, but that admiration is limited.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #230
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
By rolling over and going back to sleep. Honda appears to be no major threat to any of the competition, if these models are harbingers of their future. I guess that Honda is content to make bland automobiles and let those pay the corporate bills. Unfortunately that blandness seems to be their hallmark today. (Although they make some nice generators and lawn mowers...)
You might call it bland. So far, what I have seen with the new models is that Honda actually picks up the sign of the times and builds what people might be asking for: sensible bikes for an excellent price, great commuters and bikes for smaller people, bikes that are likely build to a high quality standard while still being affordable.

I find that way more exciting than the 10th copy of a GS or the 100th VFRGSRZRX racing replica.

In case you haven't noticed: toy money doesn't lie around as much anymore but people still want some fun. Also, it's about time to get some really good beginner bikes outside the stupid "rev the shit out of me" 250cc class.

From my perspective, Honda is offering now a fairly nice line up with some obvious gaps (a real adventure bike for example) at fairly attractive pricing. I don't like some (or actually nearly half) of their models, but I have to admit that I really believe they hit the nail on the head with what might sell at the moment.

The current line up might not make Honda the most hip manufacturer, but it definitely makes them one of the more realistic ones.

What's missing in my opinion is a proper replacement for the XR650L (the NC700X and CB500X are everything but adventure bikes), a bigger adventure bike (they have one with the CrossTourer, just don't offer it in the US), and good replacement for the VFR800. But even without these, Honda has a line up that satisfies a lot of requirements and with some subsequent updates they can have a better and more sensible line up than any other manufacturer on the US market. I think they are closer to this than most others now.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #231
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
+1 Keep up the good work!

Regards, Paul
Oh you ass-kissers

I think some of the legislative discussion is relevant because a constant refrain about smaller bikes on here is why doesn't it have 10 more bhp?

The answer is in the new Euro regs, not because of some peevishness on the part of the manufacturer. So, I apologise, but I was kinda sick of those waabumlance posts without any knowledge of how the bike markets work.

Carry on.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #232
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Honda saw fit to empower us silly 'mericans with an additional seven HP.

I'm still surprised we're getting all three models, and I like it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #233
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Honda saw fit to empower us silly 'mericans with an additional seven HP.

I'm still surprised we're getting all three models, and I like it.
Eggzackerley.

Room to rejoice
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #234
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Things are tough in Japan both post tsunami and post global economic meltdown, but as nice as these bikes may turn out to be, I don't see that any of them will be particularly memorable, and certainly in no way landmark machines.
I get your point, but some "landmark" machines are "landmarks" not because of innovation, but because they met a demand - look at the step thru Honda (ct110?) not sure what they call it, but they are essentially the "Model T" of the motorcycle world. Then there is the old CB350 from the '70's - Honda sold tons of those things...I hope Honda sells a ton of these new 500's, and they probably will in Asia and Europe. North America will be a tougher sale, but the NC700X has done very well so maybe these will too.

Several of the Harley people I know respect the Goldwing. Some of them tell me from time to time they consider getting rid of the Harley and buying a 'Wing. Maybe this "bagger" version will pull in some of those guys.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #235
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,743
It sure sounds like a misprint of crank HP labeled as wheel HP in the article. If not, thats great as the Kawi 650 twins have similar numbers as I recall, no? If Honda managed to pull 60 crank HP out of a smaller engine with a lower redline I'll be surprised.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #236
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I get your point, but some "landmark" machines are "landmarks" not because of innovation, but because they met a demand - look at the step thru Honda (ct110?) not sure what they call it, but they are essentially the "Model T" of the motorcycle world.

I saw an article a couple f years ago that stated that the bike you're referencing, the "Cub," remains the best selling motor vehicle in the world (based on total model sales). It started as a 50cc model; yes, you read that right, 50cc, not 1,500cc. It is what put Honda on the map.

The cub crushed the market for bikes like the cushman and whizzer. Remember, the phrase was not "you'll look like an awesome bilker on a Honda." The slogan that took them to greatness was, "you meet the nicest people on a Honda."

There is no real question that the Cub market is currently being filled by the various scooter lines (how well the scooters fill that market is certainly up to debate). However, it almost looks like Honda has brought in some executives who are looking at the history of Honda motorcycles and asking, what made us great?

Then, once a bit of bit of study answered that question, it appears that they are issuing the directive, "do more of that!"

What that looks like is an effort to make motorcycling into a mainstream activity, not a macho stunt. They have released several mainstream, transportation, bikes. While transportation bikes may not fit the desires of the extreme riders (and lets face it, we are on a motorcycle forum, we are outside of the social mainstream in, at least, this activity), transportation bikes do fit into Honda's history and were characteristic of the offerings during Honda's rising period.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #237
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
It sure sounds like a misprint of crank HP labeled as wheel HP in the article. If not, thats great as the Kawi 650 twins have similar numbers as I recall, no? If Honda managed to pull 60 crank HP out of a smaller engine with a lower redline I'll be surprised.
Kwackers are 71 crank (claimed) and dyno at 64 in most tests. The Versys has a much different tune and dynos at 55ish, with a lot of midrange.

I believe these new Hondas are 54 outside of Yurp and 47 where Euro 2 licensing is in place (both claimed, which would be at the crankshaft), but I haven't seen anything definitive, just references to it in updates to a few articles.

Looking forward to full reviews and a test ride.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #238
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
I'll take reliability and simplicity anyday over the new'est..WoW'est,superdooper machine.

Honda has made a wise move to offer those bikes here,now,if your Gov. can keep from "tanking" the econ....well, possibly folks can afford to buy!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #239
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
I see what mrbreeze and Robert_C are saying. I'd be thrilled if Honda were successful in reopening the eyes of the US market to motorcycles as viable, everyday, everyman/woman transportation. Maybe I'm coming off as a "glass 3/4 empty" guy, but I fear that it will take quantum improvement in driving ability to make that change safe.

But that's a discussion for another time and another thread. Cheers to Honda for the three 500s. I hope they sell enough to finance development of something I'd choose to own. If you're Jonesing for the CB1100, I hope you get one. I hope the CBR600RR wins the AMA and WSS titles. But the Wing?

Gag effing puke.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #240
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
I see what mrbreeze and Robert_C are saying. I'd be thrilled if Honda were successful in reopening the eyes of the US market to motorcycles as viable, everyday, everyman/woman transportation. Maybe I'm coming off as a "glass 3/4 empty" guy, but I fear that it will take quantum improvement in driving ability to make that change safe.

But that's a discussion for another time and another thread. Cheers to Honda for the three 500s. I hope they sell enough to finance development of something I'd choose to own. If you're Jonesing for the CB1100, I hope you get one. I hope the CBR600RR wins the AMA and WSS titles. But the Wing?

Gag effing puke.
I hear ya.... I'm excited to see honda getting their mojo back. And truthfully, I really don't need another bike....BUT.....that CB1100 is just such a fantastic looking bike, and I LOVE that its injected yet air cooled! I think I may end up with a garage queen because of that bike.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote