Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #61
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
After a walk through a Honda dealership, thousands of riders have needed a nap.

So true. I love big red, but all their safe choices that don't sell are regular snooze inducers. We need another Soichiro up in there to light some fires and kick the ladder out from under the engineers and marketers.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #62
AlanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
C'mon Honda!

I agree, Kraven. I'm a big fan of Honda, but they've been phoning it in for quite some time now. Me, I'd like to see a 600-800cc adventure tourer that's light and isn't coated in plastic, much like the original BMW GS. I'm also a huge fan of the Nighthawk, and it's a damn shame no one bought them and they were discontinued. Offer me a 900cc version of the Nighthawk S with decent fuel range and optional luggage and I'm there. Not gonna happen, though. Oh well, I'll keep hoping.

Alan
Ithaca, NY
AlanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #63
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,246
I want a VFR1200F with a 6.5 gallon tank, a roomier seating area for passenger and pilot and get rid of that stupid auto clutch thingamajiggy.

Or the VFR1200F but set up like the old V65 Sabres from a looooong time ago..... That would be way sweet....

I like that standard that was posted a page or two back, that's a sweet looking bike!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #64
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaZit View Post
I agree, Kraven. I'm a big fan of Honda, but they've been phoning it in for quite some time now. Me, I'd like to see a 600-800cc adventure tourer that's light and isn't coated in plastic, much like the original BMW GS. I'm also a huge fan of the Nighthawk, and it's a damn shame no one bought them and they were discontinued. Offer me a 900cc version of the Nighthawk S with decent fuel range and optional luggage and I'm there. Not gonna happen, though. Oh well, I'll keep hoping.

Alan
Ithaca, NY
Hey, I get what you mean, Alan. But, the American motorcycle culture is really tough for the Japanese to get. Especially the cruiser class of bikes.
They've actually been trying really hard over the last decade + to come up with bikes we want. They've just been missing the mark for the most part.
The VTX engines can do 100k miles no problem. They're a good product. They just don't do it for hardcore bikers.
Standards over here are generally bought by cheap cunts. In fact, the cheapest of cunts in our hobby buy them because they can get them cheap after they sit around for a while.
I think Honda is really bold in releasing this trio of 500 UJMs. If they sell, we'll have a great basis for seeing more of those other wonderful models they sell in other markets. If not, we'll be back to cruisers and sportbikes and goldwings in a couple of model years.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #65
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

So true. I love big red, but all their safe choices that don't sell are regular snooze inducers. We need another Soichiro up in there to light some fires and kick the ladder out from under the engineers and marketers.
When I think about a new bike my mind goes right past Honda. They don't have anything with any character or style. I've ridden bikes like the XR1200, the Ducati Hypermotard, Triumph Speed triple, and those bikes all look great and feel great to ride.

To me buying a new Honda, or any new jap bike, is like the motorcycle equivalent of going to a bar to drink milk.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #66
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
125s

Any of the 125s would have my fat ass chuckling! I have more smiles per mile on my little 50 Urban Express than anything.

55-60 MPH on a tiny bike would be all the fun I need...and commute to boot!

Varadero!

Just my .02
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #67
bubbaj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
What bike is this? That thing is sweet

EDIT: It is the cb1100. Awesome bike and I hope it is on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
My wife is gonna hate me if they pull the sheets and one of these is exposed:

I will be sleeping in the shed I have no doubt about that.

oh well

perhaps I should put a couch out there

bubbaj screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 04:02 PM
bubbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #68
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaj View Post
What bike is this? That thing is sweet

EDIT: It is the cb1100. Awesome bike and I hope it is on the list
CB1100F

the interwebz is full of big talking swag

all I gots to say is there WILL be one of these in my garage

if they bring it
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #69
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I'd love to see an updated XR650L. It could really use a little freshening. Maybe offer a dual sport and a sumo version?

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #70
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Hey, I get what you mean, Alan. But, the American motorcycle culture is really tough for the Japanese to get. Especially the cruiser class of bikes.
They've actually been trying really hard over the last decade + to come up with bikes we want. They've just been missing the mark for the most part.
The VTX engines can do 100k miles no problem. They're a good product. They just don't do it for hardcore bikers.
Standards over here are generally bought by cheap cunts. In fact, the cheapest of cunts in our hobby buy them because they can get them cheap after they sit around for a while.
I think Honda is really bold in releasing this trio of 500 UJMs. If they sell, we'll have a great basis for seeing more of those other wonderful models they sell in other markets. If not, we'll be back to cruisers and sportbikes and goldwings in a couple of model years.
People always say this, but it doesn't make sense.

Honda for example is the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world. They also have the largest share in the USA if considering all motorcycles (street and dirt), 2nd largest share after HD if only considering street motorcycles and only very slightly behind.

They seem to be doing it right. Japanese motorcycles in general hold about 60% of the USA market share give or take depending on the year.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #71
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,793
Honda hasn't built a bike for the USA that I wanted badly since the 1983 MB-5.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #72
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
When I think about a new bike my mind goes right past Honda. They don't have anything with any character or style. I've ridden bikes like the XR1200, the Ducati Hypermotard, Triumph Speed triple, and those bikes all look great and feel great to ride.

To me buying a new Honda, or any new jap bike, is like the motorcycle equivalent of going to a bar to drink milk.
Ah, finally someone found a good way to put it. That's pretty much how I feel about all modern bikes. No character, no style, no "soul" If you could capture the character of a mid '60s Triumph, but make it reliable (I mean mechanically reliable, not add junk like FI and ABS) I would be looking to take out a second mortgage right now. IMO, the carbed EVO powered Harleys were the last bikes sold in the U.S. to have any character. I can't see for the life of me how something like a Ducati Panigale has any character. It's a plastic covered computer on wheels. Now the early '70s 750SS on the other hand.......

As for that CB1100F, it's a beauty, but they got something wrong. The seat look like a potato chip. Certainly does not look comfortable. And the seat/tank lines are wrong. Remember back in the '70s, when the top of the seat and the top of the tank lined up?

JerryH screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 05:48 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #73
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
if the CB1100F does come to the US and alot of you guys buy one like you say you will, i can see the Japanese mfg. start focusing more on retro-style bikes to the US. the craze is extremely popular in Japan.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #74
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^ I don't know. The ones who claim they will buy it if it arrives are sometimes the first ones to start nit piking it to death after the details settle in.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #75
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
IMO, the carbed EVO powered Harleys were the last bikes sold in the U.S. to have any character.
Bikes are machines, they don't have characters. They just have flaws that you decided to like at some point. You seem to have decided that you like unreliable junk, but you want it to be reliable. Interesting idea.

Hondas have less (obvious) flaws than most other bikes, therefore people say, they have no "character". But if you are looking for "soul", or "character" or something like that in a bike you might want to think about the rest of your life.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote