User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Rocket 3 Roadster - Harley Thoughts

Hey guys, has been a while since I have been on this forum, but had a question that I expect I can get some honest feedback on with a bit of a limit to the bashing if I go to either a Triumph or Harley forum.

I recently sold my '07 R1200 GSA and have continued to ride my '05 Harley Road King Custom. I have done a lot of upgrades to this bike, engine, suspension, many custom parts - it is one of a kind and set up for me to enjoy around town or on thousand mile trips. Lots of storage, comfortable, decent performance.

The down side is really only the vibration and the fact that I often smell of fuel when I get back from a ride (they have never been able to get it to not run a bit rich).

Anyhow, I have owned many Triumphs in the past and really love their bikes. I have lately been considering the Rocket 3 Roadster as a replacement for my 40,000 mile Harley. I can get a really good deal on one right now from a local dealer as well.

The Harley has copious amounts of storage with hard bags and a Tour pac. If I go to the Rocket I will have to pick up bags (probably Corbin beetle bags) to even get anywhere near the storage of the Harley and even then it will be short.

The main reasons for my potential move is better performance (the 2300cc Rocket 3 has it in spades), the improved breaking (Rocket comes with ABS - the brakes on my '05 Harley are weak to say the least), and the thought that I could easily get 100k miles out of that big Triumph in-line three cylinder. It also seems like it will take less general maintenance as they are at 10K mile intervals.

The down side to the Rocket 3, aside from the storage, would probably be the cost of replacing that 240mm rear tire every 6-8,000 miles.

Would love to hear you guys thoughts. I am not touring as much as I used to on the Harley. So aide from some commuting (mostly highway), it will get take on a few 500 mile trips and maybe 1 1000+ mile trip per year. I put anywhere from 5-10,000 miles per year on my bike in general.

Thoughts?

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
'05 Harley Road King Custom
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
For neato cruisers...look here :
-XR1200(too sporty?)
-V-Rod Street rod(nice mid moutn controls...nice motor

VMAX(to be an ass on?)

The Rocket 3 Roadster is pretty epic though.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
For neato cruisers...look here :
-XR1200(too sporty?)
-V-Rod Street rod(nice mid moutn controls...nice motor

VMAX(to be an ass on?)

The Rocket 3 Roadster is pretty epic though.
Thanks, but at 6'5" with a 38 inch inseam, all of those look like mini-bikes to me. I am way too big to ride them. Really, its either keep the Harley or get the Roadster. Yea, there are other cruisers out there, but none that I would consider for various reasons.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
If the shop cannot tune your bike properly, why do you continue to go there?

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Get the Rocket

I just went down earlier today and put a down on a new 2013 Triumph Rocket Roadster. I am also tall (6'6") with a 36" inseam and the bike fits me quit well. My current ride is a BMW R1100GS that I love and it's a bike I would never get rid of.
I rode the Harleys, then the Victory's which are all good in my opinion, but the Rocket feels better and the performance for a large bike is astounding, handling is very good as well for such a large bike. Best thing it brought a huge smile on my face when I first road one. Tomorrow I pick mine up and the fun begins.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,328
Triumph builds a really nice bike these days. I've owned several of the modern ones and never had a problem with any of them. I've ridden the Rockets but never owned one. I really liked the roadster version. Outstanding performance and it felt much lighter than it actually is. The touring version, on the other hand, seemed like you could feel every ounce of it. Just gave me the impression of an overweight machine. Might also be nice to have the liquid cooling when you're stuck in our Dallas traffic.

I do like Harleys, but I've owned most of the other brands as well. I'll buy any of them that feel good to me and I think are built well. If you've ridden the bike and like it, I'd say go for it. You only live once. And if you're dealing with RPM Cycles, they will treat you right. It's my favorite dealership in the Dallas area.

davevv screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 11:52 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I'm just the right size for my XR1200 (5'10", 180lbs). I sat on a Rocket 3 and felt like a midget. Please post pics when you get it.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 707
I put 14000 miles on an 08 R3 in 08. Added EDGE 103XL bags on EZ Brackets and a medium bag straped to the rear seat. Plenty of space.
Rode all over New England and PA with all my H-D buds and the R3 leaves them for DEAD on all the hills.

Having had 3 Harly 1200's and an Evo as well as a twin cam 88 I'm fairly well versed in the H-D bikes. As well, I've been on two 110 inch bikes owned by friends.

The R3 playes in a completly different time zone. The motor is outstanding. If there are any hills involved or you don't like grtting stuck behind 5 semi trucks, well, there you go. It's not for everybody but you'll know in 5 minutes after a ride if you want it or not.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Love the Rocket the only problem is you have to look at it! Might be the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not saying that would stop me from buying one though, I'd just close mybeyes until I got on that's all.
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Yea, I am dealing with RPM. I have bought multiple bikes from them over the years. Clif, Boris and Lindsey are all old friends. Its one of the best shops in town in my opinion.

My '05 has the 95 upgrade on it and runs very well. However, its still not a lot of juice for a big guy. I do tend to hesitate on long overtakes, which would just go away on the Roadster.

To be honest, after having spent the last 10 years in the HD community and watching bike after bike end up being rebuilt my faith has wavered. I have yet to have to replace my stator or the chain tensioners. However, the top end had to be rebuilt at 30k due to an oiling problem, thus the upgrade to the 95.So I am just waiting for something else to need to be done. As a 30+ year car builder (last 10 have included bikes too), there are a few design elements to the Harley that just have me confounded. Things that just make me scratch my head wondering why, while I redesign/relayout what was done in the factory on my bike and others. Thus, my Harley has been pretty throughly redesigned in many aspects.

Thus, from a performance and design standpoint what I like most about Triumphs is that they are solid bikes, made in a straight forward manner (you can actually pull the oil filter without having to have a funnel under it to make sure the oil does not drain on to the frame - go figure!).

This would, in all honesty be a no brainer decision if it were not for my involvement in the biker community. In my past time I work in a capacity that brings me into contact with a lot of bikers. Many of which will accept the Triumph from a brand recognition standpoint (they grew up bobbing Bonnivilles), but others who will shun it not being an HD. Sadly, there is a definite connection that will be lost with this change. So this aspect makes my decision to switch a hard one. Being accepted as a Chaplain is hard enough with people even though my 'job' is not one of conversion - the biker in Biker Chaplain is just accepted to mean HD.

Thanks for all the input, other thoughts welcomed.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
You are partly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Love the Rocket the only problem is you have to look at it! Might be the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not saying that would stop me from buying one though, I'd just close mybeyes until I got on that's all.
When I first saw the Rocket I thought "That thing is ugly". After looking at a few on line and reading more about it, I found it wasn't as ugly as I had made it out to be. The "thing" kind of grows on you. I now look at it in a different light. Black out a few more parts here and there, maybe a pinstripe job and it could be quite beautiful. I now really like the looks of it but yes, it does take to getting used to.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedok View Post
When I first saw the Rocket I thought "That thing is ugly". After looking at a few on line and reading more about it, I found it wasn't as ugly as I had made it out to be. The "thing" kind of grows on you. I now look at it in a different light. Black out a few more parts here and there, maybe a pinstripe job and it could be quite beautiful. I now really like the looks of it but yes, it does take to getting used to.
I have to agree. The dual headlights and the basic analog gauges look fantastic to me. It has everything you need and nothing you don't, IMO. In fact, the fact that it is so basic (engine, tires and gauges), no fluff, is a really nice feature.

It looks like a stripped down roadster, which is exactly what it is.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
lambotte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Ultimate adventure rig

My neighbor uses a Rocket to tow his ultralight. It's an impressive display. I think of it as the ultimate adventure setup. When the road ends he can explore by air. I need to get a pic.

Kevin
lambotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleytoo View Post
Yea, I am dealing with RPM. I have bought multiple bikes from them over the years. Clif, Boris and Lindsey are all old friends. Its one of the best shops in town in my opinion.

My '05 has the 95 upgrade on it and runs very well. However, its still not a lot of juice for a big guy. I do tend to hesitate on long overtakes, which would just go away on the Roadster.

To be honest, after having spent the last 10 years in the HD community and watching bike after bike end up being rebuilt my faith has wavered. I have yet to have to replace my stator or the chain tensioners. However, the top end had to be rebuilt at 30k due to an oiling problem, thus the upgrade to the 95.So I am just waiting for something else to need to be done. As a 30+ year car builder (last 10 have included bikes too), there are a few design elements to the Harley that just have me confounded. Things that just make me scratch my head wondering why, while I redesign/relayout what was done in the factory on my bike and others. Thus, my Harley has been pretty throughly redesigned in many aspects.

Thus, from a performance and design standpoint what I like most about Triumphs is that they are solid bikes, made in a straight forward manner (you can actually pull the oil filter without having to have a funnel under it to make sure the oil does not drain on to the frame - go figure!).

This would, in all honesty be a no brainer decision if it were not for my involvement in the biker community. In my past time I work in a capacity that brings me into contact with a lot of bikers. Many of which will accept the Triumph from a brand recognition standpoint (they grew up bobbing Bonnivilles), but others who will shun it not being an HD. Sadly, there is a definite connection that will be lost with this change. So this aspect makes my decision to switch a hard one. Being accepted as a Chaplain is hard enough with people even though my 'job' is not one of conversion - the biker in Biker Chaplain is just accepted to mean HD.

Thanks for all the input, other thoughts welcomed.
I understand what you are saying about being a chaplain (I am a Christian), but while not riding a HD may close a door or two, riding a Triumph may also open a door or two. Most of the HD people I know really don't care what anyone else rides. I suspect riding a Rocket 3 would get a lot of people, especially young people, wanting to talk to you out of curiousity if nothing else.

I think the R3 is way cool, and I would love to have one.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I had at least one Harley in my garage for over 20 years before tiring of them, so I know of the whole "culture". I do not care one least little bit if the Harley owners (and IME there is a world of difference between Harley owners and Harley riders ) accept my ride, but as a Chaplain surely you know just as many doors can be opened with the Rocket. Faith.
One of the many things I like about my Roadster is the versatility. I can go from a full touring set up with saddlebags, trunk, Air Hawk and shield to solo seat roadster/hooligan in about 20 minutes.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote