Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I had at least one Harley in my garage for over 20 years before tiring of them, so I know of the whole "culture". I do not care one least little bit if the Harley owners (and IME there is a world of difference between Harley owners and Harley riders ) accept my ride, but as a Chaplain surely you know just as many doors can be opened with the Rocket. Faith.
One of the many things I like about my Roadster is the versatility. I can go from a full touring set up with saddlebags, trunk, Air Hawk and shield to solo seat roadster/hooligan in about 20 minutes.
Yes, without a doubt other doors can be opened, and again, Triumphs are seen in a bit different light by true HD riders than other brands. There is recognition.

Additionally, so much of my ministry ends up being one on one and the bike does not come into the picture (as I am off of it when involved with people). It will appeal to a younger crowd and provide an inroad there as well.

Personally, I really like just about every bike I run across TBH. There are things I can find to like about them all. So, for me the decision is easy (mechanically). Being that I am not touring as much also plays into this. It makes the Roadster even more viable - being that I can convert it and go if I want.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
'05 Harley Road King Custom
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,099
If Jesus were here today he'd be hanging out with the nasty bikers and whores on Harleys, not the folks on a proper "gentleman's bike", aka Triumph

Seriously? You're worried about acceptance or effectiveness based on the bike you ride? Ya can't save everyone.

I loved my Harleys and enjoy the Triumph sitting in my garage. None of that has anything to do with my faith/beliefs, or those I speak to about it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If Jesus were here today he'd be hanging out with the nasty bikers and whores on Harleys, not the folks on a proper "gentleman's bike", aka Triumph

Seriously? You're worried about acceptance or effectiveness based on the bike you ride? Ya can't save everyone.

I loved my Harleys and enjoy the Triumph sitting in my garage. None of that has anything to do with my faith/beliefs, or those I speak to about it.
No, please don't get me wrong. While the machine does not limit me or God, it can limit who will listen. Sad as that is.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 347
I guess it is a matter of preference - of the bikes that I own or have owned, this is the only bike that my wife considers "sexy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Love the Rocket the only problem is you have to look at it! Might be the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not saying that would stop me from buying one though, I'd just close mybeyes until I got on that's all.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleytoo View Post
No, please don't get me wrong. While the machine does not limit me or God, it can limit who will listen. Sad as that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller
Ya can't save everyone

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Chaplains role is really not to "save" or convert. It is a presence ministry. It's about being there for the Bikers we are with. If the other happens fine, but my role is to serve and support.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #22
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
I haven't owned either one but I've ridden Road Kings and the Triumph Rocket III roadster. Frankly I think they are both very fun to ride bikes but in different ways.

The pluses of the Triumph are of course the incredible motor and power. And it handles much better than you'd expect. It is one of those bikes that just feels great going down the road. Again, the power is intoxicating and really needs to be experienced. And it's a little unusual which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. The minuses- thin dealer network, although if you don't go too far from home that may not be a big deal. Not many of these sold so not a lot of aftermarket stuff available. Maintenance will be more than a Harley as it has liquid cooling and you will need to adjust the valves. And the looks, it's just not in the same league as the Road King.

The Road King also feels great going down the road, but you'll be going at a slower pace generally. I think it's looks are head and shoulders above the Rocket III. Very well finished. Also the integrated luggage is a big plus iny mind. There are dealers everywhere, and pretty much anything you can imagine is available in the aftermarket. You can't get a much more maintenance free bike than a modern Harley, no coolant to change and the valves adjust themselves. The minuses- not many in my mind. Everyone has one, if that matters at all. Not that powerful.

In my mind, it's a draw. Both pretty darn nice bikes.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
Sindarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59

Sindarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Love the Rocket the only problem is you have to look at it! Might be the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not saying that would stop me from buying one though, I'd just close mybeyes until I got on that's all.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuasurfer View Post
I guess it is a matter of preference - of the bikes that I own or have owned, this is the only bike that my wife considers "sexy."
My experience too. Er, not with your wife, mind you. Women in general. I've owned everything from BMWs to Harleys to custom cafes to full out custom choppers. For whatever reason my matt black Roadster is the first to consistently get any attention from the ladies. And at a not exactly attractive 61 years of age, I'll take any "hook" I can get.
Not that this would matter to a Chaplain.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,867
If thats the latest Rocket me thinks its pretty cool lookin. I always wanted a Guzzi Griso for the rawness of its look but after seeing the Rocket Id go Triumph all the way,specially based off the 2 Tigers Ive had. That being said the all have their expenses to deal with. If your decision to change is based on your bikes vibes and unreliability Id find another mechanic. All of the HD's Ive had are the least buzzy of all the 30+ bikes Ive owned. The fuel smell can be tracked down, perhaps a bad charcoal can or something simple. Oiling problem on a stock 88 top end? never heard that one myself. Was it a overly rich mix washing down the cylinders of oil causing rings to go south thus the oiling problem? Cam bearings and cam chest issues, sure. I look at it like this if your not doin the wrenchin. $650 to replace the twin cam tensioners or $650 for a service on a Triumphs valves,FI sync, etc,etc. The HD once every 40K the Tri every 12K.
As far as what other think about what you ride or stereo typing you,just remember you can never make everyone happy and besides who cares what others think.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
If back tire mileage is an issue, why not go to the Dark Side. Many do. no problem, it is said.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
My experience too. Er, not with your wife, mind you. Women in general. I've owned everything from BMWs to Harleys to custom cafes to full out custom choppers. For whatever reason my matt black Roadster is the first to consistently get any attention from the ladies. And at a not exactly attractive 61 years of age, I'll take any "hook" I can get.
Not that this would matter to a Chaplain.
LOL, no, I have caught my limit as it were.

The ministry elements aside;

Really, after having owned the RK for 7 years and having been around both Harley and Triumph in that time - I have to put my bid in on the Triumphs being more mainteance free. Anything mechanical requires some maintenance. However, having searched the internet for issues I am finding few solid results aside from some of the early Rocket 3 bugs that had to be worked out. I wish my experience with the HD had been the same. Having to have the top in rebuilt at 30k was a bit concerning.

I am not going to dog HD for this, as things happen. However, and maybe its a volume issue, but most of the guys I ride with have had multiple HD's in the period I have had mine. From early '07 through '09 things were just not good. The new design seems better, but is not without its issues - if you happen to be in the top 10% of HD riders (by mileage - which many of the guys I ride with are). While you can put big miles on a HD, it will typically not be without some level of mechanical management (read, time in the shop).

I have seen the insides of a V-twin and a R3 engine. Vast differences, not just in design, but in the heaviness of the componentry. The R3's guts are quite heavily made. Yea, it makes for a heavy bike, but it also speaks to its potentail for durability (in my mind).

In then end (and I do do a lot of the maintenance myself), I see taking the R3 in maybe every other year for a 20k checkup/service over 1-2 trips per year on the HD. I currently only get 6-8k out of a back tire on my HD (due to it being the older design and me running custom wheels front and back). So aside from the increased cost (maybe $100 more) for a rear tire on the R3, I see the mainteance cost swing going to the R3.

To get the same lift in performance (103 V-twin) and brakes (ABS), I am looking at, quite seriously a 10K difference (if I stayed with a bagger - 4-5K if I dropped to a Fat Boy). That is a pretty good jump and the one other element that we tell anyone who ask us about HD ownership that we tell them hands down - "do not let your warranty run out!"

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
If back tire mileage is an issue, why not go to the Dark Side. Many do. no problem, it is said.
Key words: "it is said" No dumbsiders will admit to their folly.