Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
I have the liner and controller. Screaming deal for $149+tax. I also bought the Tourmaster coily SAE cord, works great with it. I decided to wire the included harness rather than running through my factory powerport. The Tourmaster BMW adapter and SAE/COAX adapters also work with the liner/controller.

I've used it in 32 degree weather for my 87 mile commute and it's been much nicer than doing it without gear. It's good enough I don't even put my FirstGear insulated pants on whereas without the jacket, no pants meant an hour of shivering once I got to work.

Liner works as billed, however, on my K1200S, the back of my neck gets uncomfortably warm on Max. I'm not sure this is position-related, when I sit up straighter, it doesn't seem to make it much better. It's tolerable on High, but still a tad toasty. The jacket by itself, without heat, is actually a pretty good liner. The first few trips I hadn't run the leads correctly from the controller to the liner and it wasn't heating, tho the controller was on. Don't judge me, it's not as straightforward as you might think.

For some reason, the SAE connector is on the right side of the liner, while all BMWs I've ever had have the powerport on the left. This means the cable would need to cross over me while I sit, chafing the paint on the tank. I ran the harness provided with the liner to the right side of the bike, which is unfortunate as the Tourmaster coily cord came undone from the liner during some spirited riding (hanging off) and proceeded to melt black goo all over my pipe. COAX connectors, really? The Tourmaster coily cord ($9 at RockyMountain ATV) has black rubber over a much more heat-resistant clear inner core, so while the black melted off, no copper was exposed and no fuse harmed - Go Tourmaster!!

The controller is intended to go inside the jacket which is just nonsensical since you'd have to pull over to make adjustments. I ran it through the d-ring on the right side/outside of my First Gear Ranier jacket so I can adjust and monitor it. The Ranier jacket has grommets in the left zippered pocket to allow wire pass through, but since the heated liner has the powerport on the right, I can't keep the controller in my left jacket pocket without having to disconnect/reconnect from the jacket it every time I unzip the darn thing.

My first heated jacket, still figuring out wire routing so it doesn't chew up my paint but also stays connected when I'm hanging off the corners on my way to work or home.

So, some issues, but for 1/4 the price of the competition (with controller), it's hard to complain.

PS: Pics of your installs welcome. I'll upload some when I have time.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #32
Scorch_TX
Suzuki disciple

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvslow View Post
The controller with the jacket made it a bargain. Time will tell. In the 55 degree garage, the IR thermometer got to 103 on the sleeves on max setting. For the most part the heat panels all read between 98 and 100 degrees on max. On max it never feels too hot. I also noted by testing the wiring- gloves connections in the sleeves are always live so they must be wired directly to the main connection. I find if my gloves are plugged in without the controller tuned on- the gloves go to max heat. Gerbing has a jacket with a different connector for gloves and auxiliary. Cyclegear salemans swore that Gerbings made the microwire internals and connectors for Hotwired. I have not been able to find info anywhere on the web about this. In looking at the two jackets side by side- there are several similarities. Hotwired label is same place on chest. Label print on inside same as Gerbing does. Wiring is definitely different. So I think the salesman was full of it. Also no lifetime warranty on hotwired- enough said.

Heated collar and sleeves are nice. Really cuts down on the cold air around he neck.

There are no clear directions on the connections for the controller. The controller sits on the right side of the jacket and once zipped up you can feel it press against you. Also need to drape wire to left side of bike since mine was already wired to this side. Guess I could change the lead to the right side. All other makes seem to be on the left side.
Another reviewer also commented you need to unzip outside jacket and inside liner to access the controls. Haven't figured out how to move this controller outside my jacket yet.

Looks very similar to Venture Heats jacket and controller. Description of glove connection even matches. Is a 83 watt same as their jacket. They seem to be a reputable company.

http://www.ventureheat.com/p-419-12v...ket-liner.aspx

Nice testing!

I have the First Gear heated jacket, the 90w version. Although I don't get to use it much here, it does get pretty warm. I was wondering about the Sedici stuff. I sold one jacket to a customer and he returned it, saying it did not get warm enough. I don't know if it was just him, or the gear. I like the empirical results you got.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #33
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

Oddometer: 172
No heat!

I rode to work today using the jacket on high. The blue light was on indicating power and max setting. I could not feel any heat.

Any ideas? Does gentle heat mean you don't notice it?

Will try testing it at home with a thermometer and see if its even working.
oldbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #34
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Make sure you have it wired right. I slept a lot since last time I used mine, so can't remember, but the input from the bike goes to the controller... and then it gets fuzzy. But if you do it wrong, the light comes on without heat.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

wired........

I found and watched a youtube video put out by cycle gear and I did not have the controller connected to the jacket lead that is found inside a zipper on the right side bottom of jacket. I thought that lead was to connect the pants to jacket but the pants run separate from the jacket. Will try again :)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

youtube info on jacket etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XtfP7Zjcc
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #37
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I bought the jackets and gloves last fall. I rode 13 highway miles when the ACTUAL temperature was 2F, nevermind the wind chill on the highway....

I arrived in good shape. Another hour on the interstate and I would have been a human popsicle.

I'll post tomorrow after I ride a few hours between 25F and 35F and let everyone know how it does.

EDIT: By the way, the controller location is stupid.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #38
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
It was 23 degrees F this morning. 25 minutes at 35 mph. Nice and warm with the Sedici liner on max under my First Gear Kathmandu with insulated liner in. I put the controller in my Bags-Connection City tankbag window and can adjust it with gloves on. Also had the heated grips on high.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #39
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

The heat is on!!

Okay. When wired correctly, you get instant heat. Very nice upgrade with the micro wire heating FAST compared to the old school thick wires on my old school jacket. Only complaints are that my lower belly gets cold due to no micro wires located at the end of the front of the jacket and that the controller is buried inside the inner most recesses of my riding gear. Pick a temp level and leave it there unless you leave it dangling on the outside or re-wire it somewhere on the outside.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #40
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,086
The Sedici gloves are the same as Venture Grand Touring gloves, which I got a couple weeks ago.

When hooked up to a battery, they work well. Even on the highest setting, they never really got hot.

When hooked up to my Wee, they will work as long as the bike is not running. After further investigating, I have found that the gloves stop working when the battery voltage exceeds 13.8 volts.

Tested it on two other vehicles, same result.

Contacted the supplier (Rider's Needs) and they want me to get in touch with the manufacturer to see whether that is normal or not....

I am going to tell them that I want my money back and will get something different.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
rick505
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I picked up the gloves a month or so ago and other than being a little bulky and the low setting LED being a bit dim in bright light I really like them. Easily wired the included cable to the battery and wired the second included cable in my Tourmaster jacket between it the the quilted liner. I like not having to purchase an additional controller and, at this point, have no intention of additional heated clothing as I can layer up fine (famous last words). I do wear some Cycle gear Freeze-Out base layer "long Johns" that really help keep my legs from getting cold.

I agree they may be these gloves but relabeled.

I did ride in 40 degree weather down the Interstate and my hands/fingers stayed warm the entire trip. The previous year I tried the trip, perhaps a couple degrees colder, using a glove liner and Tourmaster winter gloves and had to stop a couple times to warm my hands.

Rick
rick505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427 View Post
The Sedici gloves are the same as Venture Grand Touring gloves, which I got a couple weeks ago.

When hooked up to a battery, they work well. Even on the highest setting, they never really got hot.

When hooked up to my Wee, they will work as long as the bike is not running. After further investigating, I have found that the gloves stop working when the battery voltage exceeds 13.8 volts.

Tested it on two other vehicles, same result.

Contacted the supplier (Rider's Needs) and they want me to get in touch with the manufacturer to see whether that is normal or not....

I am going to tell them that I want my money back and will get something different.

UPDATE: Venture Heat just told me that they are aware of the issue, and are working 'feverishly' to redesign a controller that does not cut out at 13.8V.

Unfortunately the new replacements will not be available for two months....time to look at W&S or Gerbings....
Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 97
I can recommend W&S. I've got 3 seasons on their gloves and 4 on their heated jacket liner. I couldn't be more happy with them.

I really like the dual remote wireless heat troller...makes for a very simple setup with only one wire between the bike and I.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #44
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,793
I agree. Wouldn't ride in cold weather without my W&S liner and gloves.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote