Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,102
Used to camp down by the river off 128 outside Moab; came back to the tent (pretty obscure spot) one day & something just felt odd...

Unzipped to find my stuff strewn about. Curiously, the only things missing were toiletries & iirc a shirt or two.
Camera and other assorted valuables untouched.

I had the feeling that my campsite was maybe someone's "homestead".
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
`I sometimes carry a bicycle lock. run thru one sleeve of the jacket and the helmet. Once, came out and all my stuff was hanging by the cable, but someone could have bumped it.

That is it. My helmet is due for replacement next spring. My jacket has 3 years of bug stains and road grime. Even a crack addict would not want it.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
MSGulfCoaST
Just Ride

Oddometer: 5
Of all things...

My wife and I had stopped at fast-food place in Meridian, MS to eat and rest a bit as it had been pouring rain non-stop since we left home. Some redneck (I'm from here so I'm allowed! ) started up a conversation about how "he didn't ride in the rain cause it got his Hardley dirty." We said we needed to be somewhere, were prepared for it, and moved along. Got back out to the bike after about an hour or so and both bar-end weights were gone! Everything else was locked in side/top cases or with us in the restaurant.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
MSGulfCoaST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged slider View Post
Had my helmet stolen off my bike. I used the helmet lock so the thief cut the strap. What good is a helmet without a strap? Well at least I still have a souvenir D strap now!
I had the same thing happen to me. I didn't keep the D rings as a souvenir though.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #20
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,252
Never had anythings stolen while out riding, and I almost never secure stuff at campsites. I do at hotels.

Of course while living in the Dallas area for 20+ years I had stuff stolen including a bike. Damn glad to be free of that shithole.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 804
I've never had anything stolen off my bike in 25 years riding. I'm usually pretty careful and lock stuff up but while on tours have spent plenty of time in small towns and left my gear on the bike and had no issues. This summer was in Colorado for a week and really only locked stuff up at night and didn't have any problems (I really like riding in CO).

Now I've had my home burglarized and cars broken into but those are different stories...
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
Tank bag and tail bag were boosted from my bike as I went inside to pay for the gas I just pumped . . . . 3 minutes, max, at a busy urban gas station . . . .

only loss in over 40 years of riding, though.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Never off the bike.
But when i lived on the river,had 2 outboards stolen.
Chained 2nd one to boat,yep, they took the boat!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,807
I came close to losing my helmet in WV a few years ago, came out and a guy was lifting it off my handlebars, I yelled and he dropped it and ran. Put a nice dig in it.

I also had a camping roll stolen off the back of my brother's bike in a little town south of Quebec. It was parked in front of a diner, we came out and there were the straps still on it but cut.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #25
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 494
Road my bike to the local store and when I came out my Zumo 550 was gone. I assume some one in the parking lot saw me ride in and made a quick theft.

I was camped in a remote area and left my canon binoculars hanging on a tree and on my return they were gone. Tire tracks in the dirt looked like a pickup dropped by.

Around here it is common for thieves to watch store parking lots and break into vehicles when the owner walks into the store. We have a video of this happening. When security ran out the thieves were gone.

Thieves are rotten punks!
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #26
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I wouldn’t carry a gun with me; I’d likely just get myself in trouble.

Back in the 70’s I was camped along the Green River outside of Mexican Hat Utah.

Around midnight I was woken up a bus load of rafters setting up a camp for the night.

Soon after there was a fight at a picnic table by my tent, which got me up and the rafters.
It was an Indian couple and the guy was beating the shit out of his wife/girlfriend, what ever.
He stopped hitting her when I appeared and she walked off into the darkness.
My fishing gear was on the table; the guy picked that up and started walking off. Hey, hey, hey
I ran over to him and took it back, he offered no resistance. Then the Rafters show up, one guy swinging a big freaking paddle which he damn near hit me with. I almost got into a fight with these guys. I told the guy with that paddle if he didn’t stop waving it around I was going to stick it up his ass.
Excitement over, nope.

At dawn I am woken up by 3 natives sitting at my picnic table talking. They liked my bike and were considering taking it.
Oh shit
I slipped my Levis on and stuck a hunting knife in the rear waist ban and went out and confronted these guys.
I thought I was in deep shit and was likely to get hurt. They offered little resistance to me insisting that they leave. They got up and walked off.

An hour or so later I am almost packet up and ready to leave when a pickup full of natives appears. They were spinning donuts around where I was camped and then made a run as if to hit me.
I just stood there and watched them and they drove off.

If I had a gun with me, I would have pulled it out. I was scared but all I had to do was stand my ground thankfully.

I’ll never forget that night, god, it was weird
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #27
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
At Sandblast Rally a few years ago a group of six + of us kept riding between stages to spectate and would leave our gear on the bikes for the little bit of time we were watching. Sure enough someone stole gear off just about every bike at one of the stops. Weird thing was all stolen gear was black. None of the high viz or white gear was taken.

What the hell the thieves were gonna do with Meathead's XXXXL Arai XD was beyond us.

My pal Matt had a backpack stolen as be went into a CVS for three minutes.

I try to put my jacket and helmet on a cable lock. Other stuff goes in a tankbag. Jacket gets slung over the tank bag. Outta sight outta mind is what I subscribe to.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Never had anything taken but I always take precautions. Unless my bike is in sight, I don’t leave anything there. I take my helmet, jacket, put up the GPS and tank bag. even at motorcycle events everything gets packed. I have friends that leave stuff on their bikes all the time.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Nothing stolen by humans, but I usually lock my helmet to the bike. I usually take my jacket with me. At night, I usually cover the bike — out of sight, out of mind — and either keep my stuff in the tent with me, or in the hotel room.

I did have a raven steal my cinnamon roll in Yellowstone. Off seeing the sights, when I came back to the bike my tail bag was unzipped and the empty cinnamon roll wrapper was on the ground. I was sort of pissed at first, but a tour bus driver told me a raven had landed on my seat, had BOTH zippers open in ten seconds, and had my cinnamon roll removed from the tail bag and unwrapped in another ten seconds. "He was a professional," the bus driver told me. I had to laugh at that.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #30
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Tank bag stolen last year in the parking lot out front. Nothing in it but a pen; just stole the bag. It was a good tank bag; my replacement is kinda crappy in comparison...
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote