Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Nothing stolen by humans, but I usually lock my helmet to the bike. I usually take my jacket with me. At night, I usually cover the bike — out of sight, out of mind — and either keep my stuff in the tent with me, or in the hotel room.

I did have a raven steal my cinnamon roll in Yellowstone. Off seeing the sights, when I came back to the bike my tail bag was unzipped and the empty cinnamon roll wrapper was on the ground. I was sort of pissed at first, but a tour bus driver told me a raven had landed on my seat, had BOTH zippers open in ten seconds, and had my cinnamon roll removed from the tail bag and unwrapped in another ten seconds. "He was a professional," the bus driver told me. I had to laugh at that.
Sounds like that bus driver was hungry to me.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #32
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,900
Never had anything stolen off of my motorcycle, and we always leave our helmets on the bike at lunch or when shopping.

A relative had a clock stolen from his motorcycle. The good part of that story is that it was in a parking lot at the Los Alamos Laboratory at a facility where everyone had to have a Q clearance (the one required for working on nuclear weapons). Great to know at least one of the people they trust with that knowledge, can't be trusted not to steal something from a co-workers bike.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Sounds like that bus driver was hungry to me.

That's certainly possible. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, though. Anyway, I don't think he would have blamed a raven. He could have just kept his mouth shut.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Tank bag from a parking garage...was found by cops a week later with all my rain gear...the thief just took my Swiss Army knife! I felt very lucky!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #35
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 572
Three years ago I was on one of my wanderings from NE Ohio towards Deals Gap. I like to take extra days on the way down as to avoind slabbing it.
I was roaming around deep in TN and I was low on gas. My Zumo was telling me I was screwed and would not make it. As I passed through little shothole towns I stopped and asked someone if there was anywhere nearby for fuel. They directed me to a very old station that was on a remote backroad. It truly was out of the 1940's.
When I pulled up and saw the old pumps, I parked off to the side to walk in a pay them cash for the fuel. Parked on the side were two jacked up pickup trucks. Both had doors open, both contained Jethro's spittin and talking.
Both watched me closely as I dismounted and removed my helmet. Both watched me go into my topcase and retrieve my wallet (I also grabbed my cell phone for some reason...maybe I was checking to see if I had a signal to check emails...don't remember)

I came out of the station only a min later after giving the girl there some cash.

Both pickups were gone, as was the topcase. I asked the girl who the drivers were and she acted dumb (maybe wasn't acting) saying she had never seen them before.

Lost all my chargers, my heated jacket liner, heated gloves (this trip was in late October) and all cold weather gear.

I continued to Robinsville the next day to meet friends. They donated some clothing so I could be somewhat comfortable.

I no longer use a topcase.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
On my first big road trip, stopped at Whiskey Town Reservior I put all my stuff into the bear locker and made a quick run to town for ice and mixer, came back to find the bear locker open and all my stuff strewn about on the ground, but nothing missing. Turns out this place has security walking the campground all night, spoke volumes about the place.

Next trip, while parked at a grocery store in Prineville, Oregon I came out to find someone had stolen my cooler off the back of my bike. When I pulled up, I got a weird vibe and instead of hanging my Arai XD on the mirror and walking away as is my norm, I took it with me. Good thing I did.

So yeah, two big trips and I've been messed with each time.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
War Eagle Wing
n00b

Oddometer: 1
First big solo trip I did in 2008 was to Avery Island, LA. Stopped just south of New Orleans at the Oak Alley Plantation. Thursday afternoon about 2:00 in the afternoon. This place is well known, but a little out of the way. You have to drive 1/4 mile to get to the parking lot in the back. Also it's like $12 bucks to see the place. There were maybe 4 cars and 1 bike in the parking lot. After going thru the home tour and walking the grounds I headed back to the bike. I noticed something wasn't right but didn't figure it out till I got to the bike. Someone had cut my luggage off my V-Star 1100. I or someone might have scared them off cause while they got my main bag, they didn't get my bag off the luggage rack even after cutting the straps. Good thing because I had a pistol in that bag. Ended up at Walmart and bought a backpack, bungees, a pair of jeans, 5 pack of underwear, 5 pack of socks, tolities bag - filled it with what I needed, and a Saints t-shirt. Continued on my trip for 3 days. Lady at Oak Alley said she had worked there for 20 years and nothing like that had ever happened. Said " We have bikers in here all the time and asking us to keep their bags and I'm thinking 'it will be OK in the parking lot' I guess not". Happy ending - my wife let me get a Goldwing.
War Eagle Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #38
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,206
In 17 years I've had nothing stolen from bike or camp.

One time, however, when I was in college I was awakened at night by a couple of guys talking in the parking lot under my window. They were looking at my bike (a ratty '82 CX500) and discussing returning with a trailer later to take it. I didn't sleep so well that night!
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #39
Cheap Café Nihilist
Cheap Café Nihilist

Oddometer: 58
Never lost anything while traveling. However, I'll never forget the bastard who stole the nose one off my CX650 while it was parked in my driveway. Bastard came for exactly that part, and it still hurts to remember it.
Cheap Café Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #40
jjahp
Vertikal 1

Oddometer: 141
Raven CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Nothing stolen by humans, but I usually lock my helmet to the bike. I usually take my jacket with me. At night, I usually cover the bike — out of sight, out of mind — and either keep my stuff in the tent with me, or in the hotel room.

I did have a raven steal my cinnamon roll in Yellowstone. Off seeing the sights, when I came back to the bike my tail bag was unzipped and the empty cinnamon roll wrapper was on the ground. I was sort of pissed at first, but a tour bus driver told me a raven had landed on my seat, had BOTH zippers open in ten seconds, and had my cinnamon roll removed from the tail bag and unwrapped in another ten seconds. "He was a professional," the bus driver told me. I had to laugh at that.
I KNOW that Raven! My son and I were up in Yellowstone a while back at Old Faithful and after doing our touristy duty and watching it blow, came across the Ol Blackie in the parking lot perched on the windscreen with the tankbag zippers open and the rain cover out on the ground. Apparently we interrupted the theft in progress and he was hoping we were going to leave so he could resume rummaging. Didnt happen so he was pissed, shit on my son's windscreen and took off.

'86 R80
'99 R 1100 GS
'10 F800GS
jjahp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #41
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Nothing stolen from bike but someone did try to pinch my buell before but only bent the handlebars trying to break the steering lock. £30 for new bars and it was fixed

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #42
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahp View Post
I KNOW that Raven! My son and I were up in Yellowstone a while back at Old Faithful and after doing our touristy duty and watching it blow, came across the Ol Blackie in the parking lot perched on the windscreen with the tankbag zippers open and the rain cover out on the ground. Apparently we interrupted the theft in progress and he was hoping we were going to leave so he could resume rummaging. Didnt happen so he was pissed, shit on my son's windscreen and took off.

I do believe some of the ravens in Yellowstone are professional thieves.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,947
Had FOUR bikes stolen from our backyard in 1970... 2) Yamaha L5TA Trailmasters, a Honda 305 Super Sport and a Yamaha 180 Scrambler. Filthy animals.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #44
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Nothing off the bike, but I'm pretty careful about locking stuff. Had a bicycle stolen right in front of a busy Manhattan store Kryptonite U lock too. Also a GPS cable from my car... A holes broke 2 windows and left the radar detector on the windshield. Thieves take the chance you've stashed a GPS under the seat if there's any evidence of GPS use.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #45
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Never anything stolen after several long distance trips or locally. But I always lock everything down and take my tank bag in with me. I have a top case that locks to the bike and Wolfman saddles that I lock down. I use the cable locks that cinch tight.