Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #61
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,479
46 years of touring so far and only once have I had something stolen. Late at night at a rest stop on highway 5 in Oregon someone pried open the top box and stole a 35mm camera. At Crater Lake NP bear once knocked over my bike to get at some food in my top box. In the mountains of Northern California a raccoon unsnapped the vinyl cover on my Vetter fairing and ate my trail mix. At Scotty's Castle in DVNP a raven unzipped the tank paniers on my dual sport bike and ate some of my Goldfish. Yes, some ravens have figured out how zippers work.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #62
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
At Scotty's Castle in DVNP a raven unzipped the tank paniers on my dual sport bike and ate some of my Goldfish. Yes, some ravens have figured out how zippers work.
I had a raven open my tail bag in Yellowstone. The guy who witnessed the brazen, egregious theft said that raven was a pro and had the zippers open in a few seconds.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #63
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
At Le Mans, France I had this whole tent and contents stolen, Fortunately there wasn't that much in it, a Touratch top box inner bag, 2 sleeping mats, camera case (I had the camera with me) and a change of clothes. We just left it where you see it in the pic, came back an hour or so later and there it was, gone - the whole thing, not even a peg left in the grass. When we got back my wife thought that we were looking in the wrong spot but when I showed her this photo on my camera with the little tree next to the tent she had to admit that it was gone!

This was 2 years ago. We returned to Le Mans this year and I jokingly said that we should go to look for our tent and when we went past the very spot a small chapel has been built in the exact place the tent was pitched!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #64
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
I had a pair of O/A welding goggles taken from my 650 Bonneville while parked outside a bar. I removed the shaded lens leaving the clear and used them as eye protection. In nearly 50 years of riding that's all I've lost due to theft.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #65
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
At Le Mans, France I had this whole tent and contents stolen, Fortunately there wasn't that much in it, a Touratch top box inner bag, 2 sleeping mats, camera case (I had the camera with me) and a change of clothes. We just left it where you see it in the pic, came back an hour or so later and there it was, gone - the whole thing, not even a peg left in the grass. When we got back my wife thought that we were looking in the wrong spot but when I showed her this photo on my camera with the little tree next to the tent she had to admit that it was gone!

This was 2 years ago. We returned to Le Mans this year and I jokingly said that we should go to look for our tent and when we went past the very spot a small chapel has been built in the exact place the tent was pitched!

LeMans is notorious for gangs of marauding thieves that sweep through the camping areas during and after race taking huge amounts of gear with them. This has been going on for years, and is now considered part of the culture of the race......sucks.

Truffle Rustler: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10696293
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #66
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,076
A friend just had his 2012 500EXCR stolen from behind his house along with an XR400,he lives in such a posh neighborhood he had never heard of anything being stolen around there.
Now he has.

I see dirt bikes being reported stolen on craigslist a lot lately,best lock em up tight and insure em.

(As far as leaving my helmet/jacket on my bike.........Never. Its a big old world out there and not everybody is a boy scout.)
Ever try to find a helmet that fits on a sunday morning to continue the trip? I take it with me.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 10:45 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #67
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
A friend just had his 2012 500EXCR stolen from behind his house along with an XR400,he lives in such a posh neighborhood he had never heard of anything being stolen around there.
Now he has.

I see dirt bikes being reported stolen on craigslist a lot lately,best lock em up tight and insure em.

(As far as leaving my helmet/jacket on my bike.........Never. Its a big old world out there and not everybody is a boy scout.)
Ever try to find a helmet that fits on a sunday morning to continue the trip? I take it with me.
I feel the same way. While riding the Texas Hill Country a few weeks back, we stopped in a little podunk town and had lunch. I was locking everything down outside before we went in and an elderly couple walked outside to leave and stated I didn't have anything to worry about as far as people stealing. I kindly thanked them and continued locking everything down. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #68
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I feel the same way. While riding the Texas Hill Country a few weeks back, we stopped in a little podunk town and had lunch. I was locking everything down outside before we went in and an elderly couple walked outside to leave and stated I didn't have anything to worry about as far as people stealing. I kindly thanked them and continued locking everything down. Better safe than sorry.
Yeah,some kid might want a helmet for a novelty item,or what ever. Either way its gone.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #69
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,134
My 85 V-Max was stolen twice out of the shed back in 85 when I lived in Raleigh. The first time the cops found it a hundred yards away with the ignition switch messed up. The second time, it was missing for a few weeks and the insurance was going to cut a check the very same day the cops found it a mile away.
05-GS- Rock Red 86k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #70
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Stolen from the front of my house. They got it through the pedestrian gate (don`t ask me how) and dragged it down the street, with the steering locked, into a local park. When they couldn`t hot wire it they kicked a fuel tap off and torched it. All this happened many years ago, but I would still kneecap those who did it if I found them.
Damn, that was a beautiful bike, very sorry to see it suffer such an ignominious fate - a couple of minutes in a locked cell with a baseball bat would give some satisfaction (as well as saving the taxpayer a bucket load of money) . . .

Touch-wood - although not being an extensive motorcycle traveler I have not had any issues to date and includes leaving my fully loaded bike parked in a shopping center car park while I was getting supplies. In my experience the vast majority of people are friendly, honest and upright citizens, it is the (very) few that spoil it for the many.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #71
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
I've never had anything stolen off my bike in 20 years of riding and I will just leave my helmet sitting on the seat. However,about a month ago, for the first time in my life I was burglarized. Some pieces of shit broke in my garage during the day (we think my wife was home at the time!!!) and took a couple riding jackets, some other gear, tools, and other stuff. Those morons took some shitty harbor freight tools and left my freaking Zumo sitting on my workbench!

Crackheads!

I think they are pretty lucky, my wife is pregnant and will defiantly shoot first and ask questions later.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #72
62hsr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Just got into riding(drz400). Have been concerned with leaving gear on bike. Thieves range from idiots to genius. When I look at the bike's helmet lock, all I see is the idiot cutting the helmet strap.
Here's my personal history with thieves:
-Stereo & EQ from '83 GTI in college parking lot
-Paycheck from glovebox, '85 GTI (thief's boss found useless paycheck in his locker and called me)
-Hubcaps from '66 Bug(ground up resto) At a VW show!
-Stereo, ratty sneakers, loose change from same Bug at work. Dicks smashed window, took metal shears and destroyed dash to remove unit. Crack was especially delicious back in '86!
It' been a long time at this point and have become somewhat carefree with leaving stuff in the back of my truck these days. Hoping to never have to ride home without a helmet on!
62hsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #73
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Nothing taken from a motorcycle while traveling or parked in my off-alley driveway, but I briefly rented a garage down the block many years ago and someone broke in and tried to get the dead battery off the bike, breaking a few small parts. Morons!

Had a KLR taken from the same driveway with a U-lock on the front wheel and a disk lock on the back. Police recovered it four days later missing a few parts. Sounded like steal-to-order to me, considering what was missing. Cop who called me said he stopped the guy for running a stop sign in front of the parked police car while riding a bike with no plate, no muffler and no helmet. Also a moron.

While living in Germany I had some small things taken from the handlebar bag I left on my commuter bicycle while parked for a few minutes in front of my apartment building.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #74
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I read that states that have mandatory helmet laws have a significantly lower rate of motorcycle theft. Hard to ride off on a stolen bike when you did not bring along a helmet and not having one will get you pulled over by the first cop car that passes you.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #75
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Who's Had Shit Stolen?

I've a good one for you. In August, I had business that would take me from St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco with many points in between. I live in NC, so having previously experienced crossing the Great Plains in mid-summer, I decided to trailer my GSA to Denver. I finished business in the Mile High City late on a Thursday morning and didn't have to be in Salt Lake until Monday so I was really looking forward to the leisure time. I rolled the bike out of the trailer and went back to my hotel room to suit up. When I returned to the bike, all seemed okay until the gentleman striping the parking lot told me three kids entered my trailer and "it looked like they took some clothes." Sure enough, my trusty Darien jacket and my BMW Comfort Shell were gone. What a dumb ass I was to leave the door open!

After the police report, etc., I secured truck and trailer (I was leaving them there for three weeks) and headed up Lakewood BMW for a new riding jacket. Thirty minutes later, I was heading for Ouray in my Klime Latitude, satisfied I'd made a good decision. For the next three weeks, I rode every single day in temps from 40 to 107 . . . yeah, 107! The Latitude performed as advertised.

The last day of the two-wheeled trip saw me heading for Denver after a few days of riding some of the passes around Ouray/Silverton. I knew a call had been made to my cell phone but didn't stop to check its origin until I was refueling just outside Denver. It was the hotel manager telling me my jackets were at the hotel. It seems one of the miscreant's dads had noticed his son's aquisition and got to the bottom of what had happened. When I got back to the hotel and retrieved my coats, the manager gave me a letter written by the boy's dad. In it, he gave me their address/phone number and said they would not stand in the way if I wanted to prosecute.

I called the family on my way out of town and told the young man's dad I was confident his prosecution of the situation had been thorough. I thanked him for his parental skills. Lessons learned for those kids and me.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote