User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
KennyT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Bintelli Scooters?

Hello all. Perhaps you are aware, I am aggressively pursuing my own dealership in or around Naperville, Illinois. I have posted about this, and will repost links at the bottom of this for those looking to catch up...
I recently was contacted by a company out of Florida name Bintelli Scooters. Has anyone heard of them?
I assume they are typical Chinese bikes, distributed out of a Florida based company.
I have read plenty about the low quality of Chinese bikes, but that alone won't rule it out for me or my dealership.
I would love to sell Genuines, Vespas, Kymcos, or Aprilias, and continue to look into those. Honestly, those generally look for more seasoned dealerships with very deep pockets...
I am still in the planning stages, and realize there are many challenges that lay ahead, so we don't need to rehash those...
But I am interested in all posibilities. So any info/thoughts on Bintelli would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Ken

Check out these related links:

Chasing a Dream: The Naperville Scooter Store
Naperville Investors: 420,436 Washington

Naperville Scooter on Facebook!
Bintelli Scooters on Facebook!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Ken, you may want to post your Bintelli and other China-scoot questions at scootdawg.com as well.

Many members there work with and ride Chinese marques; most agree that some chinese manufacturers are superior to others. Znen is often said to be the best; Znen scoots, however, are handled in the US by several different distrubutors and a given model is often sold under a variety of names.

The industry article at http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/f...nese-scooters/ reports that the Bintelli people are using Znen-made machines as platforms, and will be providing "real" distributor support. The Bintelli enterprise is just now getting off the ground.

Another brand to consider might be SYM, an established and very-well regarded Taiwanese line (comparable to Kymco), now being handled by Alliance Powersports after a disasterous series of events with their previous US distributor. Sym dealerships are now being established and re-established, roughly from west-to-east, across the US: http://alliancepowersports.com/
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
KennyT OP
Adventurer

Hi Red Hand. Thanks! I have posted it on ScootDawg, as well as the Kymcoforum...
I appreciate your detailed response, and know a bit about Sym. I will inquire about them...
I appreciated Bintelli reaching out to me (or my page). Made me optimistic we could get something done!
Thanks again!
Ken
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
KennyT OP
Adventurer

Wow! What a great link and article, RedHand. I like good products at a good price, and from this, Bintelli fits the bill!
Thanks again!
Ken
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Ken, your Naperville idea has made for an extreeemely interesting series of threads and posts.

Scooter sites regularly see wistful musings about how schweet it would be to have a scoot shop or maybe just a repair business. Those always provoke tsunami of warnings and caveats about small-business start-ups, and those cautions are, of course, all true.

You, however, are already an established business presence in the area; are undoubtedly conversant with the commercial finance community, its requirements, customs & practices, and probably know most of the players. You talk about investor strategy and the possibilty of leasing-out part of the structure; you note the rich potential of the local college. So you're talkin' the talk and walkin' the walk.

More power to ya, Bud; watching with the greatest of interest.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,475
I don't mean to be a downer but when yamaha is still trying to flog 2009 scooter for 2100 bucks out the door where I live how much could you make on selling them? I can't remember if it was cyclecanada mag or the other canadain motorcycle mag 2 month ago did a 4 page art about sell and owner a dealership and where there money was made. Shops make it on service ,loans and gear. If you really want to open shop up consider the old but working idea of starting a shop where you fix bikes, let guys rent the tools , bench etc for 25 buck on hour. a place to put you bike for 35 bucks a month. For independants it s an idea that has worked. If I can store my bike and after work run down work on it and go for a ride it's a winner. 50 people storing they bike at a shop for 10 months a year at 35 buck is 17500 . Can't not see that paying for the rent etc. Down side you not going to be open 9 to 5 . rather 2 to 10 thrus to sunday. Why those hours? Most people want there bike then. have to time to work on them. anyway this is a idea I ve seen working in more then one place . Unless you re a Japan dealer it's had for you to make cash. If you have to spend 15 more hours on china bike to make it work right ? is it worth the time? cfmoto dealership might be the best way to go.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
KennyT OP
Adventurer

Hi Full Metal and Red Hand. Thanks!
Red Hand, not walking the walk yet, but hoping to start soon!
Full metal, I am open to all suggestions regarding business opportunities for my shop, so no downer at all.
I like the idea of Bintelli from what I have read. I continue to be a information sponge.
I want this to happen!
Thanks again,
Ken
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
The problem with Chinese scooters is that they are ALL such poor quality, and fall apart quickly. Yes they are cheap to buy, and that is what attracts people to them, but if you sell someone a Chinese scooter, and they come back with a problem in 2 weeks, you either have to fix it or wind up with a bad reputation. Chinese scooters have very little in the way of a warranty (if it breaks in half, and some actually have, both halves are yours) it is almost impossible to get the distributor to honor warranty claims.

I agree that you need a huge budget to sell Japanese brands (you can't just sell their scooters, you have to sell, and service, their whole line) Vespas, and probably Aprilia. But SYM, Genuine, Kymco, and Adley, which also makes a Lambretta badged scooter should be within reach. I would also consider Tomos.

I would put a lot of effort into building a reputation as a scooter only dealer, with good customer service. Sell new and used, but sell quality.

Starting as an independent shop, commonly known around here as an indy shop, is not a bad idea. You could start buying and selling used scooters. I would probably not rent tools. I would definitely not rent space in your shop for others to work on their own bikes, that is very risky from a liability perspective. If you have the room, providing a winter storage area is a good idea, just make sure you have the insurance to cover customers bikes. Prepping customers scooters for storage also sounds like a good idea.

In the motor vehicle business, reputation is everything. I do not know of a Japanese "powersports" dealer that has a good reputation, and I have not been satisfied with a single one I have dealt with. A small cozy shop that caters specifically to the scooter crowd and treats them right will quickly develop a good reputation.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
bintelli are not a real brand of scooter. not sure if chinese or taiwanese but clearly one of those knock off non brand deals. one of the scoots on their site looks like the Znen bws replica, maybe they supply them

sym and kymco are proper brands with a good rep.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
KennyT OP
Adventurer

Hi Jerry and Forde. Thanks for stopping in!
I understand the image of Chinese bikes. I own a Kymco, and will continue to pursue them, as well as SYM...
That being said, everything I have read about Bintelli is extremely positive. Apparently made at ZNEN in China, supposedly a good factory. Again, the more I read, the more I like.
Bikes look cool, and I have heard the finish is fairly top notch. I have also heard great things about the distributor standing behind their product and their dealers. They also have a two year limited warranty (how limited?)...
One of my concerns is they have no mid sized bikes, the biggest is a 150 cc (which again I hear great things about!)
Anyway, I have applied as a potential dealer on their site. I want to take a step forward. I believe my business philosophies are in line with those running Bintelli. I am not, however, ruling anything out at this point...
Thanks again for the feedback!
Ken

Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
one thing is even if the bikes are awesome people arent going to be dying to buy a bike that they have never heard of
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I would personally buy one of Bintelli's scooters and put some miles on it yourself before deciding to run with it.

Znen may make high quality scooters relative to other chinese brands, but that doesn't mean they're going to stand up reliably compared to American, European, or Japanese/Taiwanese manufactures.

The couple thousand it may cost for the scooter is certainly worth it in order to prevent a tarnished reputation and thousands in lost sales.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSkate View Post
I would personally buy one of Bintelli's scooters and put some miles on it yourself before deciding to run with it.

Znen may make high quality scooters relative to other chinese brands, but that doesn't mean they're going to stand up reliably compared to American, European, or Japanese/Taiwanese manufactures.

The couple thousand it may cost for the scooter is certainly worth it in order to prevent a tarnished reputation and thousands in lost sales.
An excellent idea!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Question Bintelli

May want to ping a couple of the outfits that they list on their dealer site that are far away from ya. One of them (Scoot About) runs a rental outfit & shop, with sales as a sideline. Of note I don't see them listed as selling Bintelli on their site, but if they've been renting them out at all they'd have a good idea of the overall durability of the units. This can be an important factor in knowing what to charge of course. I've seen folks get into chinese scoots who wind up putting too much time effort and $ into warranty work. Sure these folks appear to be doing them right in many regards; however if you check scootdawg you'll find there are lots of things that go wrong in addition to the carbs & belts. Simple but annoying stuff like starter switches etc. This can add up & erode a bottom line rather rapidly. Not say'n they aren't good of course, I dont' own one, but it's best to go in with your eyes wide open on this kind of thing.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
KennyT OP
Adventurer

Hi Gec, Inline, Forde, and Tromper. Thanks!
I was thinking the same thing about buying one! I don't believe I could spend 2K. I think their highest MSRPs at 1600 (although with shipping and extras I would be there).
The largest they go is a 150 cc, which is too close to my 125 agility. I probably could use a small one for fun, and it would be even cheaper...
A great idea!
Ken