Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Ask Baldy, blame AceRph
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
James Adams OP
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,695
Paste images right into the reply window.

For those of you who use a recent version of Google Chrome (no plans for other browsers, sorry), I've created an extension that allows you to paste images right into the reply window from your clipboard. You can download the extension from the Google Chrome extensions gallery right here.

For example, I've taken a screenshot and pasted it below by just pressing the usual Ctrl+V (or Cmd+V if you're on a Mac) shortcut. It automatically inserted [img]http://imgclip.com/vqkg6z.jpg[/img] into my reply window.

Alternatively, you can right-click on any image on any web site and select "Copy Image", then again just press Ctrl+V in the reply textarea and a BBcode tag for the image will show right up.

Pasting the image may take a few seconds or longer; it depends on the speed of your internet connection.

Some notes:
  • really big images might not work—uploading a screenshot of your triple-head 1080p desktop is just not a good idea
  • animations will not work, it will only capture the single frame that you were on when you copied the image
  • some web pages do not allow you to copy images, this won't get you around that
  • the extension will automatically update itself as it evolves; if you find it one day suddenly not working, make sure it's up-to-date first
  • sometimes it doesn't work on the first attempt to paste--just try again
  • there's no obvious feedback that it's doing anything until it adds the text
This extension will also work on many other forums.

Disclaimer: I made this primarily for myself. If I see that lots of people are using it, then I'll continue to refine it and improve it. But there are no guarantees at all whatsoever. If you want to share high-quality photos, use a real photo hosting service like SmugMug.

James Adams screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 09:54 AM
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 177
Great! I hope it takes off seems there are lots of inmates that struggle with this. I find the simple right click on image "copy image location" select image insert, paste works well. the ability to grab screen shots is unique how is the image hosted if you don't mind me asking?
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
James Adams OP
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
Great! I hope it takes off seems there are lots of inmates that struggle with this. I find the simple right click on image "copy image location" select image insert, paste works well. the ability to grab screen shots is unique how is the image hosted if you don't mind me asking?
JavaScript gives us away to capture a "paste" event that in turn gives us programmatic access to the clipboard. We look to see if an image is on the clipboard and paste it into a hidden canvas. From there, we upload the image data (as JPG or PNG, depending on the dimensions of the image) to the server. Once on the server, the images are watermarked and given a unique URL. I also save the original, non-watermarked image—this gives me the ability to easily offer resized versions of the images in the future.

I host the images with a commercial hosting service that offers sufficient capacity, bandwidth, and security. However, you get what you pay for: as this is a free (to you) service, there are no guarantees of anything other than reasonable effort by me to keep everything running. And, of course, obscene or illegal content will be removed if discovered or complained about.

Nothing uploaded is shared with any third party beyond whatever links you distribute. There's no way to browse uploaded images and there's no advertising added to the images themselves other than the small "imgclip.com" label in the bottom-right corner. Note that small images are not watermarked at all, because that would look stupid. For example, this image is small enough that it didn't get a watermark:

The web site may evolve, but I'm not looking to replace imgur or other similar sites. For now, it's mostly a tool that I made for myself and am happy to share with the community.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 649
Thanks I just tried that and it worked great, first time!

I like it as when I post a link to pictures in Picasa, the pictures always come out small in the post, much smaller than in the album.

With your Image add on, it is the same size.

Thanks for your work with this and sharing it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: