User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
dirtinblood OP
Ontariariario

Oddometer: 353
Who wants risers?

Guys, I can relate to everything you've been saying. I'm 6'4" and the little 1" risers where not enough, so I designed 2" risers. Wow, this totally transforms the bike, on and off-road. They mount using the stock 10mm capscrew, and provide about 1-3/4" of vertical bar mount displacement (not just extending the mount toward you like other mounts). I also switched to the EXC style Renthals (much straighter). I then let Osteo try my bike, when we were riding together last week. He's about 6'-1" and he loved them too, so he now has installed it on his. I had 4 of them made at a local CNC shop (cost a fortune), so now all we have to do is load the program again and go for it (costs will come down with added volume). Is anyone else interested in these.
Keep in mind, these are not just designed for the 950. They fit any KTM.
Attached Images

dirtinblood screwed with this post 06-13-2006 at 04:45 AM Reason: Update
dirtinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
I'm 6'4" and the little 1" risers where not enough, so I designed 2" risers. Wow, this totally transforms the bike, on and off-road. They mount using the stock 10mm capscrew, and provide about 1-3/4" of vertical bar mount displacement (not just extending the mount toward you like other mounts). I also switched to the EXC style Renthals (much straighter). I then let Osteo try my bike, when we were riding together last week. He's about 6'-1" and he loved them too, so he now has installed it on his. I had 4 of them made at a local CNC shop (cost a fortune), so now all we have to do is load the program again and go for it (costs will come down with added volume). Is anyone else interested in these.
I was going to write up a review, but this will have to do for right now.

I had ordered and used the KTM Hardparts risers for the last 2 months of last year, and then the past month or so this year. Having talked with Dirtinblood (Kevin) over the winter on the pro's and cons of the stock risers he designed his own.

As he said, I hopped on his 950S last weekend for a 5min spin and totally changed the handling of the bike, (I'm on a 04' 950). Then yesterday I went out riding with Drif10 and got to really push the bike, so here is my review:

With the KTM Risers I found that I was still leaning forward and down, standing during any decline was scary all the time as it put too much weight on the front end as well as just felt damn uncomfortable and lots of pressure on my wrists and the bars. Negotiating any turns, or going over whoops was also a chore and put a lot of tension on my lower back as I had to lean too far forward and down to be comfortable, so then I found I had to bend my knees to much to decrease my height, but this also seemed to create other problems.

My immediate thought was that I needed more height, but Kevin realized that more height would also bring the bars rearward (towards you) so this would in a sense make the riding position worse.

Also with the KTM risers during single track riding I was forced to sit, as I could not offer the control to the bike while being forced over so much. I know sitting is good (as long as you are forward) but I find I wanted to stand and could not.

These 'custom' risers changed all that -now I find I can comfortably stand regardless of the terrain and feel much more confident regardless of going downhill, whoops, double track, etc... Single Track yesterday was a breeze, much easier to flick the bike around obstacles as I now had greater control over the bike without having to lean forward as I could put my energies elsewhere. as an objective measure Drif10 noticed I was not nearly as far behind him as in the past and I attribute some of this to the new riding position and control it offered.

A bit more info: I am sitting on a first generation Renazco Seat (actually the 3rd one he made) so I am also sitting higher up, which probably helps the seated ratio to the bars, but as Scot Harden says, sitting on the bike is not Riding the bike! the real benefit is in standing in which these shine!!

Drif10 having the keen eye for all things bike and contruction, noticed the risers immediatly and he said if he did not already have risers would be all over them as he was extremely impressed.

It is too bad I did not post pics of the unit before I mounted it, as it is a lovely piece of work, one solid piece, exact measurements and fit - perfect!

So, in closing, I know there are a zillion threads on various bike control suggestions, fast way pegs, Renazco Seats, etc... and pretty much everyone agrees the stock height for the bars is too low... well, chances are if you are 6' or above then so will the KTM risers be too low. Sure you could then lower your pegs to give you that height relationship that you need, but then your feet are closer to the ground while riding which can create other hazards (something I will never do) - so this is something to consider.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Teckhardt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Are all the stock control lines long enough for the extra 2"? Can you still see the guages while seated? What kind of cost are we talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtinblood
Guys, I can relate to everything you've been saying. I'm 6'4" and the little 1" risers where not enough, so I designed 2" risers. Wow, this totally transforms the bike, on and off-road. They mount using the stock 10mm capscrew, and provide about 1-3/4" of vertical bar mount displacement (not just extending the mount toward you like other mounts). I also switched to the EXC style Renthals (much straighter). I then let Osteo try my bike, when we were riding together last week. He's about 6'-1" and he loved them too, so he now has installed it on his. I had 4 of them made at a local CNC shop (cost a fortune), so now all we have to do is load the program again and go for it (costs will come down with added volume). Is anyone else interested in these. As of right now, I have one left.
I've never tried to post a picture before, so this might not work.
Teckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
osteo
Motion is Life

Quote:
Are all the stock control lines long enough for the extra 2"? Can you still see the guages while seated?

Stock lines are fine, I know Kevin was saying on the S he had just enough length, and on a non-S I am also fine and not worried on the length.

Guages, I can see everything but the clock and the top of the Thermostat while seated and did not notice while standing.

To add to that, I have a high fender installed with both front discs, the extra length of that brake cable is nice to have, as I know in another post someone was thinking on cutting theirs - but like I said no problems on my bike, nor Kevin's.

As for cost... I will let him reply as I am not sure - we do some work together so it all worked out in the wash.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
dirtinblood OP
Ontariariario

Riser cost

I was thinking around $70 CDN would be fair, but I have to sweet talk my machinist some more. The first batch was not cost effective at all (programming time mostly)( we might change the tooling change sequences a bit to make it more efficient). Right now, I am looking to see who's interested. I'm hoping that a batch of 20 or more will make it worth the effort. So, don't be shy, let me know.
As Osteo has said, the cable length is still good, but I wouldn't go any more than that!
This one little piece will transform your bikes handling, by improving your position. Well worth this small sum.

dirtinblood screwed with this post 07-06-2006 at 07:57 AM
Old 04-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Teckhardt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtinblood
I was thinking around $70 CDN would be fair, but I have to sweet talk my machinist some more. The first batch was not cost effective at all (programming time mostly)( we might change the tooling change sequences a bit to make it more efficient). Right now, I am looking to see who's interested. I'm hoping that a batch of 20 or more will make it worth the effort. So, don't be shy, let me know.
As Osteo has said, the cable length is still good, but I wouldn't go any more than that!
This one little piece will transform your bikes handling, by improving your position. Well worth this small sum.
You can put me on the list to start that group of 20.
Teckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 415
Hey I'm interested. How's that work out in USD.

Thanks
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
dirtinblood OP
Ontariariario

That's approximately $62.72 USD, as of this morning.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 415
Sounds good to me I'll take one right now.

Thanks
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
lofdog1313
lofdog1313

Oddometer: 20
diito

Add me to the list!!! Maybe you can talk to your machinist about some offset adjustable pegs also? About an inch lower and partially toward the rear would cure all my problems, lighten the front end and increase rear bite all while giving you a controled standing power position, yet comfortable leg slightly bent and arms extended moto-x type whoops positioning. Lower foot position shouldn't cause a hinderance or danger unless a novice and would make the transfer from butt to standing easier without going to a higher seat which just raises the up high sit down riding height weight location, creating worse low speed handling/control abilities. Wow did I say all that. Anyway hope you understand my pig latin!!!! I would like a set of the risers no matter.

Cheers,

Lof
1984 Honda 600XL Thumper
1973-4 CZ 250
1972 CZ 250 (Sold)
1972? Honda 175 Enduro (Sold)
1971 CZ 250 (Sold)
1971? Maico 500 (Sold)
1968? Sachs 125 (Sold)
1966? Hodaka 90 (Sold)
1966? Moto Guizzi 125? (Sold)
1965? Yamaha 50 Pink Step Through (Sold)
1958? Harley 175
lofdog1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
osteo
Motion is Life

Here are a few more pics with the risers on my bike...

Not sure why this pic does not show one of the cables blocking the clock... the bike is on the centre stand for the picture.. that might be why.

Sorry, this last one is a little washed out... but it gives you the idea.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446

Why dont you lower your forks in the trees alittle.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
sti_rx7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'm in if you guys do a run!

sti_rx7
sti_rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
turbotiger
What's my credit limit?

Oddometer: 179
I want one set!
turbotiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
giant bar riser

Guys, I'm in
When can we send the money and how long will it take?

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote