Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #136
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Thanks for the reply. I surely do not want to add to the tension that has taken place here in the last couple of pages of posts. I am hoping to get just a bit more reach out of my newest configuration mounted to my 950 Super Enduro. I am currently running a pair of Sanjohs model 60's, a Baja designs squadron in the spot (10degree) version, as well as the Baja Designs onx, also set up in the 10 degree spot. I am quite pleased with all of the lights except that I find a need for a bit more reach on the beams when I am traveling at Super Enduro warp speeds.

I was hoping to see a comparison between the dual optimus and a 10 degree squadron, I believe this comparison will give me a better feel for the actual difference of beam throw.

I have the in-close area covered nicely with the Sanjoe model 60's, which I use as my low beam light. I keep them at 40% of capacity with another vendors dimmer. All the lights come on to 100% with my high beam switch. AS stated, I need just a bit more length of light throw to find my happy spot. I hope to make my next light addition the perfect "icing on the cake.

Soooo,
Is there any chance you could do a comparison with the lights all being in the 10 degree versions, with the same number of lights for each brand used in the comparisons?
My current set-up

Thanks again
Here is a link to a thread on my set-up.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857680
Ya this hasn't been good for anyone.

Thats a nice setup. BD makes great products.
The Long Ranges will shoot out significantly farther, They are designed for Long Range, thats not just a sales term its a description. A quick look at the reflector size/ depth and the knowledge that the LEDs are the same and driven at nearly the same current tells the story.

What I am calling a driving light is the Dirt Bike Squadron headlight That should be the same light that is on your bike The photo is a single light . Other photos are marked as to how many lights where on.

I threw up a quick comp on a request from an ADV Member. Something I wish I had taken more time on. That will teach me. Do it right or don't do it at all...not that I feel it wasn't really right, just not as clean as it should have been.
Hopefully any thoughts of wrong doing have been put to rest
In the future any photos will be done much more carefully with markers and a longer field.
Thats coming fairly soon due to this mess, as is a dissection of a few lights

What matters to me in a light is 1st quality. Are the mounts strong? Is the light going to take a hit and survive?
Is the wiring robust and quality? Will this light burn at full blast and not have a thermal melt down.
Then lastly how well does the light illuminate. I like to ride fast and live in deer country, so I need a set of lights that throw a long beam, I also need fill for the slower trails or roads. A good headlight does most of that. Only the Long Range can obtain the distance I want in a set of Aux lights.plus you can always aim them down.
I rarely talk to a rider who says I have enough distance.
headlight
I guess salesman comes along with owning a business like this, However I'm an enthusiast first and will never over sale or misrepresent our products or a competitors lights to others. Thats one main reason we have been successful in the dirt bike market. Also a reason that most of the big players are willing to work with us.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
http://youtu.be/1fmEJO3ftFI
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #137
Ned Kelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
In the future any photos will be done much more carefully with markers and a longer field.
Thats coming fairly soon due to this mess, as is a dissection of a few lights
I hope the tensions get sorted out. I just wanted to peep in with my previous request of having some object in the pics that we consumers can relate to. Something not too small, like a motorcycle or human, etc..
Ned Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #138
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Thanks for the reply. I surely do not want to add to the tension that has taken place here in the last couple of pages of posts. I am hoping to get just a bit more reach out of my newest configuration mounted to my 950 Super Enduro. I am currently running a pair of Sanjohs model 60's, a Baja designs squadron in the spot (10degree) version, as well as the Baja Designs onx, also set up in the 10 degree spot. I am quite pleased with all of the lights except that I find a need for a bit more reach on the beams when I am traveling at Super Enduro warp speeds.

I was hoping to see a comparison between the dual optimus and a 10 degree squadron, I believe this comparison will give me a better feel for the actual differance of beam throw.

I have the in-close area covered nicely with the Sanjoe model 60's, which I use as my low beam light. I keep them at 40% of capacity with another vendors dimmer. All the lights come on to 100% with my high beam switch. AS stated, I need just a bit more length of light throw to find my happy spot. I hope to make my next light addition the perfect "icing on the cake.

Soooo,
Is there any chance you could do a comparison with the lights all being in the 10 degree versions, with the same number of lights for each brand used in the comparisons?
My current set-up

Thanks again
Here is a link to a thread on my set-up.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857680
Now that's a lighting package!! Looks good.
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #139
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Ya this hasn't been good for anyone.

Thats a nice setup. BD makes great products.
The Long Ranges will shoot out significantly farther, They are designed for Long Range, thats not just a sales term its a description. A quick look at the reflector size/ depth and the knowledge that the LEDs are the same and driven at nearly the same current tells the story.

What I am calling a driving light is the Dirt Bike Squadron headlight That should be the same light that is on your bike The photo is a single light . Other photos are marked as to how many lights where on.
In keeping with the advrider standard : which I see as the normal, good intentioned, everyday info sharing that is predominately found at this site, I sure hope "stuff" does chill down a bit. Obviously, there is a lot of competition and a lot at stake for the LED vendors.
As far as I can tell, you seem to be a stand up fella. I say the same for Sanjoh, who I have done business with. I do like the lights I bought from him. Having experienced the difficulties associated with taking realistic night shots of LED lights, I believe you when you said that you were not doing any monkey business with the shots. I applaud your attempt at showing us consumers a side by side comparison. Just a few suggestions if you make another stab at side by side comparisons. Smaller pics that show each manufacturers light, side by side on the web page, would be best, with particular attention being given to matching the models with the nearest specs, then having them shown ,side by side, same exact field of view and mounting points, And the same number of lights.

As for the squadron vs. the optimus 2 pic, and your reply; There are actually several different variations of the squadron light. The one you used in the comparison is the driving light version, and only one squadron was used if I understand your reply correctly. A fair comparison would be if you used two squadron lights, and in the spot configuration, not the driving light version. That is the light I currently have, and the reason I was hoping for an "apples to apples" comparison.

As you can see by my set-up, I am an equal opportunity consumer. As I said earlier, I am happy with what the Sanjoe lights provide for me, as I am happy with the BD lights. Maybe I have an led "addiction" similar to hollywood stars addictions to plastic surgery, shit, who knows. Once I started down this road of LED purchases, I just keep buying up the latest an greatest. I really need some more distance out of my set up to be satisfied completely.

Your optimus dual has definitely piqued my interest. Without seeing this lights preformance live and in person, and without a fair amount of feedback from folks who have seen and compared all the different lights, side by side, I just dont believe I will really know its capabillities. So box me one up, I am going to pull the trigger on purchasing your optimus 2, (10 degree model).

I will report back here when I get it up and running. If it does as you say, I will be back for more.

Send me a pm for direction with the purchase details.

Thanks,
Bob
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #140
WindSailor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
When you first started putting photo's up, this shot wasn't too bad. It shows a lot of things at once. It doesn't have that -long- field look, but it is enclosed so you could see the beam pattern and the distance. You can tell by this photo the lights are generally aimed down the middle of the road and you can see almost the same amount of light on the road as in the trees above.

If had seen a photo that had shown most of the light on the road and none or very little in the trees - then I think most of us would naturally be skeptical of the shot.

A broader beam like a flood would have shown the immediate area lit up top to bottom and not as much further down the road.

WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #141
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank You

Thanks for the constructive criticism. It will help.
WE have lots of lights available.last count thats around 80 products
The lights in this thread are designed for Long Range. not fill Keep in mind we are showing photos of 4 emitter lights against a single emitter Long Range.
To date they are watt to watt the longest throw LEDs available, Other lights may provide more light at a closer distance, however drop off at less than half the distance of what the Long range is capable of.
So then the Q is where the heck do you find a 1/2 mile long straight stretch with cover to take decent photos
Ill keep looking for a suitable location and redo all these shots.

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 08:44 AM
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #142
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have a set of preproduction Long Range single emitter 10 degree lights that we used for testing that DO NOT have dimming capabilities.They are the same as the production units in every other way.
These also carry the Lifetime warranty and are available at a nice discount of 100 each.
Pm me if your interested.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #143
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a set of preproduction Long Range single emitter 10 degree lights that we used for testing that DO NOT have dimming capabilities.They are the same as the production units in every other way.
These also carry the Lifetime warranty and are available at a nice discount of 100 each.
Pm me if your interested.
Sold.. Thank You
Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #144
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Thanks for posting the comparison. As an owner of the 4-led Chinese lights I'd say your photo is spot-on. Excellent short- to mid-distance lighting, poor long-distance reach. Your comments about their build quality/reliability also matched my experience, Which is why I'm now in the market for brand-name lights.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #145
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thanks for posting the comparison. As an owner of the 4-led Chinese lights I'd say your photo is spot-on. Excellent short- to mid-distance lighting, poor long-distance reach. Your comments about their build quality/reliability also matched my experience, Which is why I'm now in the market for brand-name lights.
Thank You TwinRider
I'm no marketing guy and fear I may have alienated some potential customers by actually trying to show the difference in what might be available. Thats really to bad as they will come out on the losing end from buying Chinese made Aux lights.
The fact is that spending slightly more in the first place will save a customer money and grief in the long run. I relate that to tools, buy cheap tools and get Junk, where as here spend almost the same and get a light that last a lifetime.
I hope to get some better very long distance shots this weekend and use the feedback I have received here to make those photos really show the difference in long distance lighting.

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 09:48 AM
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #146
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Did you ever get the 1" mounts in?
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #147
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Did you ever get the 1" mounts in?
Yes they arrived Fri.
I will be contacting you asap
Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #148
virgilus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
1200 gsa

Would you be able to build a direct swap for the oem fog lights ??
I want to install two long range 10 in the same location where the oem fog lights are at this moment. I would like to be able to turn them on with the original switch and if possible have a direct plug in.
Am I asking too much ???

Thank you.
virgilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #149
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus View Post
Would you be able to build a direct swap for the oem fog lights ??
I want to install two long range 10 in the same location where the oem fog lights are at this moment. I would like to be able to turn them on with the original switch and if possible have a direct plug in.
Am I asking too much ???

Thank you.
We should be able to do that. We would need to source the correct plugs and run a test prior to shipment.
I might have a few ideas where I can get my hands on a GS.
Thank You for considering quality Lights.

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 09:44 AM
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #150
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Switch installed

Here is a photo of the combo High/Low-On/Off switch used on the dim-able harness, For those wanting to use the factory switch to operate the high beams we would set you up with a single pole Handle bar switch (similar to the one shown here) or a toggle Your choice.