User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
cdogg44 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Recommend a sleeping pad that is comfortable, warm, and packable

I'm looking for a good sleeping pad that is comfortable, warm, and packable (in that order).

Nobody local to me carries Thermarest pads, but I ran across some in Cabelas this weekend. I am 6' 2" and prefer plenty of room to sleep. I am looking for one to take hunting and car camping first, but with the ability to pack down small enough to throw on the bike should I ever need to. I am NOT a 1" pad type of guy, I like the 2.5"-3" pads and am willing to sacrifice the size and weight since I'm not a backpacker. I was very surprised to find the NeoAir XLite more comfortable than the Basecamp XL, and it packs down to 1/10th the size, but am concerned about the NeoAire durability over the long term.

I've been using the $15 Wal Mart inflatable twin mattresses for years, and while they can be comfy, they are HUGE, heavy, and only last 1-2 seasons. I'm looking to go with an insulated pad after freezing to death on the last trip on a Wal Mart mattress. It was my first trip with a new GoLite down sleeping bag (minimal insulation underneath compared to my old monster 1980's synthetic bag) and I was cold on the bottom all night long.

Money matters, but not if it's going to work perfect for my needs and last 10 years.

Thanks
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
I'm looking for a good sleeping pad that is comfortable, warm, and packable (in that order).

Nobody local to me carries Thermarest pads, but I ran across some in Cabelas this weekend. I am 6' 2" and prefer plenty of room to sleep. I am looking for one to take hunting and car camping first, but with the ability to pack down small enough to throw on the bike should I ever need to. I am NOT a 1" pad type of guy, I like the 2.5"-3" pads and am willing to sacrifice the size and weight since I'm not a backpacker. I was very surprised to find the NeoAir XLite more comfortable than the Basecamp XL, and it packs down to 1/10th the size, but am concerned about the NeoAire durability over the long term.

I've been using the $15 Wal Mart inflatable twin mattresses for years, and while they can be comfy, they are HUGE, heavy, and only last 1-2 seasons. I'm looking to go with an insulated pad after freezing to death on the last trip on a Wal Mart mattress. It was my first trip with a new GoLite down sleeping bag (minimal insulation underneath compared to my old monster 1980's synthetic bag) and I was cold on the bottom all night long.

Money matters, but not if it's going to work perfect for my needs and last 10 years.

Thanks
I use two pads - a Ridge Rest closed cell pad and a Thermarest inflating pad. The Ridge Rest is immune to punctures, hot stoves, hot exhaust, crampon points, ice axes, briars, sharp sticks and near anything else you can throw it at. This pad goes on the bottom. On top goes my Thermarest - its somewhat more fragile, but is also nicer to sleep on.
I use this combo for all my camping trips - I roll the Thermarest first, and then roll that in the Ridge Rest. The bundle fits fine on the GSs pillion and makes a good backrest.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
SkidmarkSteve
Never say die

Oddometer: 29
Exped equipment

Check this link. I own the Synmat 7 and it is all the three things you mentioned. If I had it to do over again, I would opt for the Downmat 7 since I do more moto camping than backpacking these days.

Also see Nemo Equipment, who also makes really nice gear.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=Exped+mattresses

1972 Suzuki GT380 (gone but not forgotten)
2011 Massey Ferguson NightRod Special (gone....forgotten)
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
SkidmarkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,756
I've gone through a lot of pads and combo's of pads and cots and my Downmat 9 half inflated is the best so far.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
big agnes has an insulated air matteress rolls to a bit bigger then a thermos,can get it in several widths and lengths,thicknesses.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmarkSteve View Post
Check this link. I own the Synmat 7 and it is all the three things you mentioned.
What he said.

Avoid Thermarest's neo air. It's noisy. Literally.

TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
As already mentioned,either Exped or Big Agnes inflatable insulated pads.
I have both,with slight preference for the Exped.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,107
Exped downmat. Picked mine up off the Flea Market, it's great. Comfy and warm. Highly recommended.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf/
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I have a Big Agnes and have been really happy with it... Taken on numerous backpacking trips (no motorcycle trips yet). I've had the Big Agnes for about two years now... No leaks... Very tough construction.

I'd say the perfect setup would be (as already mentioned) a Ridge Rest style pad for the bottom and Big Agnes for the top. Having the Ridge Rest makes for a good camp seat and backup pad should the Big Agnes get punctured.

Big Agnes' biggest advantage is size... packs to the size of a Nalgene bottle (32 ounces). It is also really comfortable although it can be noisy and somewhat difficult to stay positioned on it throughout the night (slick). It's biggest downside is risk for punctures... although this has yet to be a problem for me.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Big Agnes' biggest advantage is size... packs to the size of a Nalgene bottle (32 ounces). It is also really comfortable although it can be noisy and somewhat difficult to stay positioned on it throughout the night (slick). It's biggest downside is risk for punctures... although this has yet to be a problem for me.
I've had a BA for going on 6 years now. It's been used on dirt, gravel, picnic tables and just about every other place. I'm surprised it hasn't leaked yet. Yes it is noisy. I used to have trouble with it staying under me until I realised I was inflating it too much. Since then it's not been a problem.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,361
Exped Synmat 9....can't beat it.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I used to have trouble with it staying under me until I realised I was inflating it too much. Since then it's not been a problem.
You are correct. I should have mentioned that I too learned early on to not inflate it to it's max... I usually only fill it about halfway... Maybe about 20-25 breaths when inflating. It really is a good sleeping pad.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,250
I have the REI Camp Bed 2.5 XL. It's kinda big but I tend to roll in my sleep and the regular width pads I would roll off of at night.

It packs kind of big but always gives me a good nights sleep. I've had people laugh at the size on the bike but shrug. On a 4 week trip with a about 15-20 days of camping in there it held up fine and was comfortable not to mention a good night's sleep makes it easier to deal with whatever comes up during the day.

On the bike (the wide thing on the back).

You can kind of see it in the tent under the sleeping bag.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
I use theExped Symat 9 (the model used to be called "deluxe" and is more than big enough for big guys like us. (I'm 6'2" and around 240 to 250 lbs.) I sleep on my sides and this mattresses perfect for doing so.

I use a Wiggy set of rectangular bags that zip together to give different temperature ranges. Super comfy and very warm.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
I have the insulated BA. Packs small for bike camping. Mine did leak after about 4 years. Called BA up and they sent me a new one at no cost.

Can't beat that.