Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #46
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
I've blown out three BA primaloft pads. The first developed the slow leak...blow back up a couple of times a night. So I sent it back, but I was leaving on a trip so I bought another one, the day I was leaving for the trip I got a new replacement in mail from BA. So then I had two. They both developed the slow leak. I'm tired of riding these things in the bath tub trying to find the elusive bubble stream. I know they will make good on it, but I don't want another one, maybe they will give me a deal on a Fly Creek 2 tent. My seedhouse 2 isn't very water resistant anymore, but that's from a lot use and expected degradation, silnylon doesn't last forever.
Sounds like you may have had a valve sealing issue. I've got 2 of them and found that if I don't get the valve just right they will leak, over tightening the valve is like over tightening a PVC pluming fitting.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #47
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
It's been said before, but i'm chiming in again with my praise for the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core sleeping pad. I used this on a 17 day ride where we camped all but a few days. It's also gone with me on other smaller rides, backpacking and camping trips. It packs up extremely small and inflates to a nice thickness.

The only downside is that you have to manually blow it up every time.

My review of the sleeping pad:
http://www.incredirides.com/review/b...sleeping-pad/9
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #48
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Exped Synmat 9....can't beat it.
yes you can,, Exped downmat 9 DLX,,,, but it appears to be discontinued maybe they have a repalcement model.

this is great with a big agnes summit park

really, any of the exped products are good,, I like the down cause the ground is often cold,, it has an R-8 value or so.

my $.02
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #49
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
Sounds like you may have had a valve sealing issue. I've got 2 of them and found that if I don't get the valve just right they will leak, over tightening the valve is like over tightening a PVC pluming fitting.
Maybe that was it, I really cranked down on those things, and just doesn't make a lot of sense that I would get three bad pads.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #50
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
yes you can,, Exped downmat 9 DLX,,,, but it appears to be discontinued maybe they have a repalcement model.

They just changed the naming. What was the DLX is now the LW.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
yes you can,, Exped downmat 9 DLX,,,, my $.02
+1000. I've tried all knids and it's by far the top of the line. $250 for us Cannuk's
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #52
jodyz121
Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer: 292
Exped Synmat 9LW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
+1000. I've tried all knids and it's by far the top of the line. $250 for us Cannuk's
Second that. Most comfortable sleeping system I've ever used. Get the Air Pillow if you sleep on your side $$ but worth it.

jodyz121 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 08:17 PM
jodyz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #53
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Well, I'll chime in with my $.0000002... I've had/have all three.

Started with the BA Insulated Air Core--nice mattress, comfortable, but it slid all over the tent & I slid all over it. Made to go into a BA bag but I didn't have that....

Next up, the Exped Synmat: I have the CPR model--nice mattress, comfortable, doesn't slide all over--my choice for summer camping.

I have two Exped Downmats--both versions, CPR & external pump. My choice for cooler weather. As noted, these have a higher R-value than the Synmat. The older version uses the carry bag for inflation. I tried that with limited success--went with the bag for the CPR model & carry a 12v pump for inflation. The bag for the older version was lined & had a valve in the bottom that attached to the mattress. To inflate, you gather air in the bag, roll the top down, attach the bag to the mattress & press on the bag to inflate. More trouble than it was worth for me & the bag itself was too big, so I went with the smaller bag.

I almost bought the Neo-Air because of the horizontal baffles but the noise & the price at the time said No to that.... The Nemo is interesting--I have a Nemo Losi tent--they make very nice but expensive stuff. I really wish I hadn't seen that....

The important feature of all of these is the insulation. I've camped with people that just had the big, thick air mattresses. They are very comfortable to lay on, but not so good in the morning if it is the least bit cold. Your body heat goes straight to the ground. Not to mention that they pack very large... On that note, my first mattress was a Seyvlor. What a great mattress--pillow at the top. larger side bolsters so you couldn't roll off--Perfect--well, except for the fact that it packed so large, I couldn't put it in anything I had....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #54
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,567
I recently picked up a Kelty sleep ez air bed. queen sized but only 4" thick and I can roll it and slide it into a 6x12" sack.

I needed a queen sized mattress last summer for a july 4th weekend and it worked great. Since it's only 4" thick your head isn't touching the ceiling of your tent. Blowing it up with the rechargeable pump takes less than a minute and the pump is good for a week. In fact a few months later I brought it to burning man and had to reinflate a few other peoples matts every single night for 10 nights and the little charger still had juice, which was great since I lost the charger...

It's not insulated but if you have a good sleeping bag or blankets and you're using it in the warmer months it's a slick mat and rolls up very small.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #55
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Wow, great to see others value their sleep as much as I do! Me and my younger cousin have been "roughing" it more and more since hes a bit older now. And looking forward to more bike camping trips this season. However, Im a mf'r without decent sleep. I fell off a roof at work a few years ago, and never been the same since.

I pretty much have taken cheap air mattress wherever we've gone. Usually not a problem when its in the back of my tahoe. He'll usually give me crap about it, untill I bring up his torn meniscus in his knee. Its a bit bulk and pretty heavy, so Ive been eyeing up some of the backpacking style mattresses. I have learned the hard way though, they get very cold on cool nights. Even with a good bag. The cold usually doesnt scare us away form heading out.

But, 2 things on my list this year(especially with my new Explorer in the stable) are a decent mattress and tent. Im no engineer or Dr, and work hard for a living. I dont mind buying quality stuff if its worth it. Ill just keep saving till I can afford it.

How durable are these ultra light style pads? Its not the end of the world if my $30 air mattress would get a hole or torn after a few years. But id be heartbroken if I spent $200 on one and it lasted me a year or so. Not to mention some very painful nights sleep.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #56
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
. But id be heartbroken if I spent $200 on one and it lasted me a year or so. Not to mention some very painful nights sleep.
REI has a great return policy. I had one that developed a leak after just a few uses over a couple of years, not abused in any way, REI took it back and I upgraded to another model.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #57
MacG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I see several mention the Exped Synmat 9. Has anyone compared it to the Synmat 7? It packs smaller,I was wondering if the difference in performance/comfort was worth the extra size on a longer trip on the bike.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #58
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,208
Exped Downmat 9 DLX

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Get a BA and the bag
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #60
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,001
The trouble with BA is if you want a wide pad you have to buy the Park series bags and they don't pack down very small.

I use the Exped Downmat now and use a Thermarest sheet which has attachment points for the Thermarest quit so no wasted sleeping bag on the bottom that you don't need to carry around. Packs small and it's nice to have the sheet that is seaily removeable for washing.

Here's the sheet

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...-sheet/product

and the Alpine blanket

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...ket-35/product

And if I want real comfort I slide in my BA memory foam topper between the matterss and the sheet

I sold my neoair because it was too much trouble to inflate and for some reason I sweat a lot on that fabric

I see they have new pumps this year, about time.