Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 105
Well I can't tell you about the 400 as I've never ridden one, however I can tell you about the Burgman 650. In MHO if you're strong enough to handle it, (640 lbs.) my choice would be a 650 for your touring. Not that a 400 won't handle it, it's just that a 650 will be more stable on the highway and it's still great on the twisties. It has the adjustable windshield, electric mirrors and ABS brakes. It will hold enough supplies under the seat for several days, add a bag to the back and you're good for a week or longer. I have 2 650's, one a 2008 and one 2009. the 2008 has 14000 miles on it with not a bit of trouble, just the scheduled fluid changes and a tire change on the rear, still running the original on the front. My 2009 has 8000 miles on it and again, not a bit of trouble.

The Burgman 650 is called a scooter however I look at mine as a step through motorcycle, I will do just about anything a bigger motorcycle will do and gets around 53 mpg on the highway. I don't think you could goi wrong with ether one of them, the 400 or 650.

Bradford
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
doogiepooch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
A lot of great answers here guys, I was actually suprised to see a few actually on the fence about it.

Seems like several of you mentioned abs, some for, some against. In my camp, with the surface area smaller on scooter tires, I'm all for any help abs will give me.

JerryH, while I'm not going to knock anyone with a cruiser, for some reason I just can't wrap my head around owning one. My dad has had a couple, even has a Suzuki Blvrd now, so I've riden them all, I just don't like anything about a cruiser. Although he also currently has a KLR and is also contemplating a maxi scooter.

Starbuck21's post is kind of how I envision life would be post bike and loving life on a scooter.

As far as new vs used goes, I could go and pick up one for 3,000 ish but the Mrs doesn't like me pulling out of savings for my motorcycle habit. She's very supportive of it but she'd much rather me make a small payment. So all my bikes I just finanace and pay the 3% interest. Maybe I'll look for one used at a dealer, my local dealer had an 09 but when I went back to look for a second time a couple days later someone else had snatched it up. Probably best, I want to wait till after the holidays anyway. I am going to have to cough up a little coin out of my secret stash to pay a little of the KLR off since I've basically only had it 5 months or so.

I guess bottom line, I love my KLR, hell I've bought 2 of them for a reason. But I think like alot of folks I'm more in love with the idea of an adventure bike than the actual use of an adventure bike or dual sport. I'm not a dirt rider at all and don't have alot of interest in it, especially on the KLR, to heavy offroad for my skill level. But I might pick up a small dualsport after I got a scooter. But my main focus is touring and usually a lot of super slab is involved. A scooter just seems like a good fit. But yes I do need to go ride one.

Keep the answers coming!
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I rode a street legal KLX400 before I went to a scooter. Now I'm on a Burgman 400 and would not go back.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
hard to beat a scooter......none scooter folks can't understand it....

last month i sold my KLR.....it just wasn't for me...

i am trying to sell my burgman 400 now, but that isn't a reflection of it being a bad ride..... i just have too many bikes right now. I have the 650 also, it just happens to have sentimental value....47k smiles is hard to give up....
I do have 17k smiles on my 400 tho......
the burgmans are great rides..... you wont regret it, not for one second....
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
gknepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Burgman owners have a great forum with lots of info. http://www.burgmanusa.com I read a ride report there about a year and half ago written by a guy that rode his Burgman 400 from Texas to the Pacific Northwest and back.
gknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,237
Comfort:

KLR (I've owned one) = masochist
Maxi Scooter = hedonist

If you find the KLR "comfortable" then any other bike that others think comfortable, like a maxi scooter, will not register with you, so might as well keep the KLR.
Weather/wind protection = maxi scooter
Road handling = Maxi Scooter
Braking = Maxi scooter
Dirt roads/ potholes: KLR
Range: KLR
Fuel mileage same or better than a KLR.
Open roads cruising speed = Maxi Scooter (I ride 70-75 on a 250 semi-maxi scooter all the time, its not frenetic like the KLR is starting to become at this speed and a 500cc-650cc maxi would so outclass a KLR)
Two up = maxi scooter
Carrying capacity = Maxi scooter (unless you put Jesse bags on a KLR)
Town riding = any maxi scooter - its just a breeze.

For me, (Piaggio BV250, which is a compact maxi, I guess) I've not found the maintenance costs and consumables to be out of line with a KLR.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
doogiepooch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknepper View Post
Burgman owners have a great forum with lots of info. http://www.burgmanusa.com I read a ride report there about a year and half ago written by a guy that rode his Burgman 400 from Texas to the Pacific Northwest and back.
I've watched some of his video's on youtube. He did 1,100 miles in 18 hrs from somewhere in FL to somewhere in TX. He as eating and drinking while riding and looked insanely relaxed the whole trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Comfort:

KLR (I've owned one) = masochist
Maxi Scooter = hedonist

If you find the KLR "comfortable" then any other bike that others think comfortable, like a maxi scooter, will not register with you, so might as well keep the KLR.
Weather/wind protection = maxi scooter
Road handling = Maxi Scooter
Braking = Maxi scooter
Dirt roads/ potholes: KLR
Range: KLR
Fuel mileage same or better than a KLR.
Open roads cruising speed = Maxi Scooter (I ride 70-75 on a 250 semi-maxi scooter all the time, its not frenetic like the KLR is starting to become at this speed and a 500cc-650cc maxi would so outclass a KLR)
Two up = maxi scooter
Carrying capacity = Maxi scooter (unless you put Jesse bags on a KLR)
Town riding = any maxi scooter - its just a breeze.

For me, (Piaggio BV250, which is a compact maxi, I guess) I've not found the maintenance costs and consumables to be out of line with a KLR.
I won't say that I think the KLR is the most comfortable thing out there. I can live with it on long days, I guess is about the best way to sum it up. I have Hwy pegs so I can switch legs postions, have a Russel Day long copy custom seat, heated grips and a new windscreen. Plus the ability to stand, that one thing I think I'll miss but the only reason to stand aside from the fun of it, is if your butt is killing you. But even without riding one I'm totally agreeing with you, I think it will knock the KLR out of the park. I'm also hoping to entice the Mrs, who has MS, back into riding. A big comfy seat and a nice backrest on a smooth machine will do the trick.

A couple folks have brought up potential maintenance costs and frequency as a deturrant. One thing I'd like to mention.....while the KLR is a dead simple bike with low maint. costs, for myself anyway, it takes $1,000 worth of add ons to make it a good bike. It's so top heavy, crash bars are a must, toss in some lever guards and stronger bars for bomb proof drop insurance, add a seat, a windscreen etc and that still leaves you with a bike with no storage. The Burgman has locking storage built in. The cheapest pannier system for a KLR is roughly $650 and that only gets you a big stainless box. Nice looking ones like the Trax boxes or other and you've dropped $1,000. While I'm not suggesting you can compare a KLR to a Burgman but for someone interested in stepping from one to the other, costs of add on's to the KLR could and should be considered as big plusses in the Burgman column.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
Racerrrx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
I could go and pick up one for 3,000 ish but the Mrs doesn't like me pulling out of savings for my motorcycle habit.
Keep the answers coming!
Not trying to upset your marital bliss, but this makes zero sense. $150/month for 60 months vs $3000 ONCE. Can't see how that's fiscally sound to anyone. If you MUST make payments, just take out a personal loan for the $3K, no need to go through a dealer.
Racerrrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I bought an 08 Burgman 400 for my wife and find it to be the first bike I go to when I go out for a ride. It is so easy and relaxing to ride, no shifting, no clutch to hold in at a light, pulls my 210lbs at 85mph, gets 60mpg and can cruise highway all day. My wife rode it from NY to RI no issues, then we rode two up all weekend, carries leftovers from dinner, holds jackets, two helmets. I highly recomend one. I liked the 400 over the 650 I rode, the 650 felt heavier. I added Givi windshield and Dr Pulley slider clutch weights 18grams to lower highway rpm slightly.
Our garage has: Super Tenere, XR650R, 400exc, 950SM, Monster 695 and xt225. The Burgman still is my first choice when going out to dinner or for a cruise. Go try one out!
Chris618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,621
I personally would avoid the Burgman 650. It is almost as heavy as a 1500 Goldwing, with less than half the displacement, and believe it or not, is actually harder to handle. I'm 53, with severe arthritis, and was looking for an easier to manage touring bike than the Goldwing. I did not find it among the maxi scooters, except for possibly the Piaggio BV500. My Goldwing (without floorboards) easily allows me to put both feet solidly on the ground, which I could not do on most of the maxi scooters. I also didn't like the small wheels on such large heavy bikes.

As for cruisers, they are not what they used to be. My beloved Vulcan 750 is a 1985 design, and is the most comfortable bike I have ever had. It is plenty fast, light enough to handle easily, gets good mileage, and can be loaded down with enough stuff for a 2 week trip. Granted, it is not your typical late model cruiser. But even todays cruisers are more comfortable than any sport bike or even sport touring bikes.I avoid bikes where you have to support any of your weight with your arms. The VTX1300 is a fairly comfortable cruiser. So is the Yamaha Royal Star. I actually prefer standard bikes, and will probably eventually replace the Vulcan with a Triumph Bonneville, when it wears out. It is the only full sized standard sold in the U.S. unless Honda has something under one of those tarps.

As for my aversion to ABS, I started riding at age 8, in 1967. Since age 16, I have owned 41 bikes. None of them had ABS, nor did they need it. Braking is something the rider is supposed to do. It is something you practice over and over, and get better and better at. I don't want a computer controlling MY motorcycle. As the rider, that is MY job. Half a million miles in 36 years, and no accidents. I must be doing something right.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
doogiepooch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrrx View Post
Not trying to upset your marital bliss, but this makes zero sense. $150/month for 60 months vs $3000 ONCE. Can't see how that's fiscally sound to anyone. If you MUST make payments, just take out a personal loan for the $3K, no need to go through a dealer.
#1 - I don't really want a $3,000 scooter. I buy new, because I like to know everything that's been done to something and although the KLR isn't a good example, when I buy new, I keep that new thing for years to get my money's worth.
#2 - I won't think twice about $150 a month. The Mrs pressuring me to get that $3000 back in savings....uh I notice that.
#3 - I basically Dave Ramsey everything. I don't have a car payment, credit card debt, blah blah blah. So no way do I owe 60 months, I'd never finance anything that long, but at 3% interest I'll finace a couple grand here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider View Post
I bought an 08 Burgman 400 for my wife and find it to be the first bike I go to when I go out for a ride. It is so easy and relaxing to ride, no shifting, no clutch to hold in at a light, pulls my 210lbs at 85mph, gets 60mpg and can cruise highway all day. My wife rode it from NY to RI no issues, then we rode two up all weekend, carries leftovers from dinner, holds jackets, two helmets. I highly recomend one. I liked the 400 over the 650 I rode, the 650 felt heavier. I added Givi windshield and Dr Pulley slider clutch weights 18grams to lower highway rpm slightly.
Our garage has: Super Tenere, XR650R, 400exc, 950SM, Monster 695 and xt225. The Burgman still is my first choice when going out to dinner or for a cruise. Go try one out!
Cool to know you have all those choices and still pick the Burgman.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Something you may not have taken into consideration is how much more user friendly a scooter is around town. The built in storage capacity, weather protection and small wheels make it an excellent short distance ride. If you get it you will find yourself grocery shopping, commuting, and errand running on it. Plus, the added weather protection will extend your riding season. So if you can live with it as a long distance hauler, you are going to love it around town.

I do think you need to spend some serious saddle time on the scooter as it sits way different than your KLR. I mean night and day different. Some love, some hate the maxi seating position so if you plan on big miles, you don't want to have regrets.

I've got of 250cc maxi you are welcome to try for a extended ride if you like. It's not comparable to the Burgman in the engine department but it sits somewhat similarly so you could get an idea if you like the riding position. PM me if you are interested.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Ken K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Burgman 400

All I can say is I don't regret the change at all!! I had a KRL traded that in on a sportster - sold that didn't like the ride - got caught up in the harley thing. Then bought a used KTM 950 Adventer - got tired of that - Liked the bike but it was difficult to service, so I looked at a scooter - bike friend suggest the Burgman, found out a buddy had one - went and looked at a left over 2011 in September and traded my KTM even up for it. Really enjoy the Burgman great ride nibble, agile and it goes. Drove it back from the dealership at 65mph no problems what so ever. Great on the highway - wonderful on secondary roads and the back roads the weather protection is great. Added a trunk unit - I can go anywhere with the storage capacity it has, also being automatic took a little adjustment. Put 2500 miles on it since mid-September. Don't regret the change at all - love the MPG. My only regret is that I am getting ready to put it away for the winter. Pull the trigger make the move - it's still two wheels and you will smile from ear to ear.
Ken K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I've been riding for 40 years. Last year, I sold my DR650 and my Shadow 750 and bought a Yamaha Tmax. Now that I've had the Tmax for over a year, here are my observations: If you like to ride distances and enjoy the twisties, a maxiscooter is a much better street bike than a cruiser. Way more cornering clearance, lots of built in storage, great wind protection and I find the Tmax much more comfortable over distances. A good dual sport handles well on the street, but the Tmax still outcorners a d/s and has all the other benefits I just listed. What I miss about the DR650 is the plush ride on bad pavement and the ability to go off road, in these two areas, it has the maxi beat. BTW, I have ridden both the KLR and the Burgman 400 and the Burger is much nicer on the street.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I've got a KLR and two smaller scooters. My opinion is that scooters are more practical as far as storage and they tend to have much better seats that the KLR but the KLR has a better riding position. Riding a scooter with it's more feet forward position and in the case of the Maxi Scooters, more pulled back handle bars may bother your back. If possible take a Burgman for a long ride and see how your back feels.

My recommendation, keep the KLR AND get a scooter. One bike is just not enough

Amen to this. I bought an '09 Majesty, thinking it would be a better long-distance mount than my KLR250. Well that sure didn't turn out to be true. The "feet forward" position of the Majesty just killed my back after anything more than an hour long ride. The Majesty's rear suspension was too harsh for me as well. Sold the Majesty after a year and am now looking seriously at an "Italian" KLR. (a Husqvarna TR650) (...and I'll be keeping my two KLR250's too)