User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #1
brent375hh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
ADV Style Noise/ Versys

I am a guy who has been riding standard and sport bikes since 78. Last year I got a Versys for a little more comfort for touring. I have tinnitus that seems to get worse riding this. I have tried two windshields and no windshield. The stock one and a Givi. It is quieter with none, but still noisier than my Ninja or wife's CBR. I have tried two helmets and sets of mirrors. Is there something about the aerodynamics (or lack of) on this style of motorcycle that just makes them more prone to wind noise? Is it possible that my textile jacket is just noisier than my old tight leather version? I have seen two VStroms with various shapes of holes cut in their windshields. Are they on to something? Yes, I am wearing ear plugs and still get headaches with 100 miles of 65 mph plus speeds.

Anybody else have this problem?
brent375hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,068
Does the bike have OEM exhaust? If it does, and its still not quiet enough, you could try an aftermarket that can be made even quieter. My GPR came with 2 sets of baffles; one for each end of the cans. I've never used both sets, but if I did I bet it would be quieter than stock.

You might also try custom ear plugs. From what I have heard, they seal better, and you can opt for maximum noise insulation.

The mesh jacket might be adding some wind noise. You may have to go with a vented leather one.
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #3
brent375hh OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Does the bike have OEM exhaust? If it does, and its still not quiet enough, you could try an aftermarket that can be made even quieter. My GPR came with 2 sets of baffles; one for each end of the cans. I've never used both sets, but if I did I bet it would be quieter than stock.

You might also try custom ear plugs. From what I have heard, they seal better, and you can opt for maximum noise insulation.

The mesh jacket might be adding some wind noise. You may have to go with a vented leather one.
The exhaust is stock and plenty quiet. I should have stated that all the noise is wind noise. I have very sensitive ears to wind. For instance I am not someone who can drive down the freeway with an open window, in my youth, it was no problem.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #4
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,106
you will get used to it
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #5
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,835
Does standing make the noise quieter?

Do you still have the old leather jacket to take a spin wearing it on the Versys as a test?

Have you tried tilting your head up and down to see if it's turbulence at the neck opening?

Like you, I dislike wind noise a lot and have worked to reduce it. Earplugs under a Shoei are a start but not enough. Adjusting the collar on a jacket is sometimes enough to change the noise.
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #6
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,976
You may have a windshield problem. It may not be deflecting the air completely over your head. I've had good luck with the MRA Vario touring screen. It has an adjustable deflector that can be positioned to help you get into a quiet area.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v...-versys-650-10
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #7
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 359
I put an XL CalSci screen on my Versys when I still had it and toured in serenity. Damn near silent. Ugly as sin, though.

The stock screen is an amazingly effective turbulence generator, get rid of it asap.
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #8
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
You may have a windshield problem. It may not be deflecting the air completely over your head. I've had good luck with the MRA Vario touring screen. It has an adjustable deflector that can be positioned to help you get into a quiet area.

I have an MRA on a Madstad bracket. That have me the huge range of adjustability to get a quiet airflow.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #9
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
I know what you mean, but then again I've been wearing earplugs for comfort/relief of wind, road, and engine noise for about 20 years now.

It's rather surprising just how fatiguing noise is, actually.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #10
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm not a Versys owner and I realize a different windscreen might be your final solution, but I also like to check the simple stupid stuff first.

I wore earplugs for quite awhile before I found the first pair that really worked right. They weren't custom, but came in many sizes. I was amazed at what real sound protection sounded like. Now I use foam plugs, but I went through half a dozen types before I found the right shape, density and insertion technique. I must have weird ears. (I also have tinnitus, and with the right plugs it is zero problem even with a lot of buffeting.)

What I know now is that the plugs aren't in right unless all the hiss of outdoor daily activity disappears. Even in my garage with the door closed. Only muffled but distinct sounds remain. When it sounds like your entire head is vacuum-sealed, you're ready to ride. Might take a couple of minutes for foam plugs to expand enough to get there.

Sometimes I find one is not quite right, there's a little air channel still open, and it actually seems to amplify surrounding noise. (Probably not, but it seems like it compared to the sealed ear.) If you don't get that vacuum-sealed feeling with your plugs, that's where you should start.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #11
brent375hh OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctromley View Post
I'm not a Versys owner and I realize a different windscreen might be your final solution, but I also like to check the simple stupid stuff first.

I wore earplugs for quite awhile before I found the first pair that really worked right. They weren't custom, but came in many sizes. I was amazed at what real sound protection sounded like. Now I use foam plugs, but I went through half a dozen types before I found the right shape, density and insertion technique. I must have weird ears. (I also have tinnitus, and with the right plugs it is zero problem even with a lot of buffeting.)

What I know now is that the plugs aren't in right unless all the hiss of outdoor daily activity disappears. Even in my garage with the door closed. Only muffled but distinct sounds remain. When it sounds like your entire head is vacuum-sealed, you're ready to ride. Might take a couple of minutes for foam plugs to expand enough to get there.

Sometimes I find one is not quite right, there's a little air channel still open, and it actually seems to amplify surrounding noise. (Probably not, but it seems like it compared to the sealed ear.) If you don't get that vacuum-sealed feeling with your plugs, that's where you should start.
I will try some different types.
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #12
brent375hh OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post

With this setup can you get still air around you or at least as quiet as standing on the pegs?
It does not look initially high enough to get the air over my head and I am only 5'9". If it gets more votes, I will chance the $200 on it.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #13
Unstable Rider
10,000 Lakes

Oddometer: 2,550
Hey Brent,

I live in Minneapolis myself, but keep my bike north about 20 miles. Right now it's in pieces, tore down to the bones getting a good going over for the season. When I get it back together you can sure try mine-- I got my 2008 Vers last fall, and had time only to do a few things, took a 1,000 mile trip and determine I LOVE THIS BIKE.

I forget who's windscreen I went with, someone will ID it... MW Vario?

It works like a champ. I have the little airfoil flipped in one direction, and I get no helmet buffeting, it's really a clean ride. I do feel the air on my shoulders, but hell, it's a motorcycle. I don't have issues with noise either, and I have a rather inexpensive older HJC full-face I wear.

You are also welcome to come ride with my bunch, multiple old geezers with pie addictions. I have another bike so I am still riding while my "Vers get's worked over.

Hell, maybe my switch to KLR mirrors turns out to have helped, I dunno!

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #14
brent375hh OP
Adventurer

That is a generous offer. I am not sure I could take you up on it since it takes quite a few miles to know how much noise I can stand. I might just have to try an MRA to see if that is the magic bullet.

Small world, I work with the former owner of your Versys.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #15
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 359
Please visit the CalSci site if you haven't already done.