Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #16
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Then we headed south towards Albany, and our stopover for the night.

To my surprise as I was leading the pack, Dave flew by me and pulled in here:

Photobucket

Now, I had no idea why we had stopped but Brian and I went into the shop. Brian got a ginger beer and we came out to find Dave and Tigger had disappeared. Now, I don't know if any of you have seen Deliverance, but I had a banjo tune going round in my head!

Photobucket

Clearly distressed as you can see above, Brian polished off his drink. I had no idea what was going on but going by Brian's lack of concern I just hung around and chatted with Brian while we waited for Dave to re-appear.

Ten minutes later and still no sign of Dave. That banjo was getting louder!

Then, as if by magic, Dave and Tigger emerged from a track across the road. Both appeared unscathed, much to my relief.

Photobucket

Turns out Dave had a sudden touch of stomach pains and recognising the signs he knew he had to get off kind of sharpish. He pulled in looking for a toilet, only to be told that the toilets were up the track across the road. Dave took off, unbeknown to me. When he got back he explained what had happened, and when he got to the toilets he found them all locked. With no time to spare his many years of emergency training kicked in and he promptly whipped down the strides and let go with full force on a nearby bush. Luckily there was some dodgy looking loo roll flying around in the breeze which he managed to snare and make full use of.

Made me laugh!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After that minor hiccup it was on to Albany and to our accommodation for the night which turned out to be pretty impressive:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dave managed to commandeer the big bedroom leaving the two little ones for me and Brian but all in a pretty good place to stay.

Photobucket

Even had a carport for the bikes:

Photobucket

Then it was out for food. I'd been to Albany a couple of times before and had booked a table at Rustler's Steakhouse. Danm good food. Steak and Ribs for me and Dave, while Brian went for chicken and ribs, the healthy option- with a side of garlic prawns!

Photobucket

Couldn't find a servo to fill up on the way back to the accommodation, or more importantly a bottle shop, so it was a dry night apart from cups of tea and coffee. Unfortunately none of us had the foresight to bring biscuits, so in the absence of any other food it was an early night all round. After over 7 hours of riding I was knackered anyway, and I think the others felt the same.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #18
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 and an early rise to get on the road. Fuelled up and headed to the beautiful Frenchman's Bay on the Albany foreshore. This is without doubt my favourite part of Western Australia. It is just beautiful and has a slightly cooler climate more suited to Poms like me:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Albany, looking back from the bay:

Photobucket
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Then it was on to Denmark for brekkie, and luckily we found Mrs Jones cafe which supplied an excellent breakfast, kindly donated by Brian, who is incidently by far the richest of the three of us, followed by Dave and me the poor man of the group- you can probably tell by our respective bikes! Great food though, and served by a mildly effeminate Scotsman, which was a little bit weird. I asked for a cappucino in a take-away cup to which he replied "Why? Are you going somewhere?" Also a little bit weird but Denmark is a little bit weird.

Photobucket
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Walpole where we found some 2-wheel tractor drivers:

Photobucket

Brian reckoned they had probably broken down!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #21
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Then it was up the South West Highway to Manjimup, where the Tiger needed another drink, and then Bridgetown.

Photobucket

The bridge that puts the bridge in Bridgetown. Otherwise it would just be called Town which would be a really crap name!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats pretty much it really. From Bridgetown it was through Donnybrook, Dardanup, Harvey and Waroona then home about 1500 hrs where a lovely cold Crown Lager was waiting for me. Followed by another!

Not sure where or when the next trip is but I cant wait!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #23
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
great trip - let's go again ASAP

Rod organised a great trip for us. The route was great, accommodation was great and food was fantastic. Company was also mint and we are so lucky to have had the time off and have such great roads to use. Good on ya, WA!

Rod's pix capture the feel of it but I just have a few to add in for my tuppence worth.

My BMW was fuelled up and good to go. Left off my boxes and went for the waterproof bag.

The bikes for the weekend:

My trusty flying pig was hot to trot

Dave's new Tiger - what a smile. Goes like all buggery and revs like a two stroke - great piece of kit

Rod's great V-Strom - it's a keeper and it keeps up a treat

Dave and Rod - good company, these boys

Rod was our dad - booked it, rode point on it and kept us safe, happy and moving along. Thanks, man!

Yours truly - fat bastard and a bit pink!

loving this view - a la Mad Max?

might dusty in these here parts

kms at the start at around 08.00 am 16 November 2012

closed at abpout 1100kms at 15.00 or so the next day - all good

love my BMW - tweaked my farkles with new straps, handlebar bag and luggage extension rack which makes life easier for next time. Pix on arrival/fitting

Loved the trip and my BMW is just the dog's bollocks. Go 'TREK'!

Roll on the Zs hitting the road for overnighter in Augusta on 1 December 2012.

Thanks for a great trip, lads.

Until the next one!

exile730 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 05:37 AM
exile730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't forget the most important farkle of all- the blue bag. A top addition to any bike and a real head turner!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #25
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
magic blue bag and the magic blue cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Don't forget the most important farkle of all- the blue bag. A top addition to any bike and a real head turner!
It was the star of the trip for sure. Don't forget the trusty blue cloth - friend to all and great for polishing helmets (!) The blue bag is a a fine piece of Wunderlich technology and stopped my toothbrush rattling around in my side case. I have further bag related farkles winging their way to me as we speak - watch this space. God bless the farklemeisters.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twist...packing-system

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...roduct_id=2257

http://www.nippynormans.com/products...ck-wun-1250038

http://www.nippynormans.com/products...0r-wun-1250161

exile730 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 05:01 AM
exile730 is offline   Reply With Quote