ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: So, if you could do it all over again, which would you buy?
R1200GS 110 29.89%
R1200GSA 177 48.10%
HP2 81 22.01%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
BMW-K OP
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,240
If you could do it all over again: R1200GS vs...GSA vs. HP2

Ok, let's say you currently own an R1200GS. Further, let's say you can ONLY have one bike (garage space limited, for instance).

If you could do it all over again, what would you buy?

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
MagpieGoose
StuffThisI'mOff4aRide

Oddometer: 353
Thumb

I have really enjoyed my 40,000kms on the GS, however I think I should have got the GSA!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
My second bike is a Cagiva, i would love to have a HP2 to toy around with.
But at that price, and a missus that gives me hints about selling the Cag all the time because there isn't space for the car in the garage
I'd say that the GS/A is the absolut best allround bike money could buy, so offcourse i'd choose the GSA again
I'll probably swap my 06 for a 09 next year
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K
Ok, let's say you currently own an R1200GS. Further, let's say you can ONLY have one bike (garage space limited, for instance).

If you could do it all over again, what would you buy?
I was in this situation. I voted HP2, but.

I bought my 12GS when I moved to Ottawa and had no local race tracks around where I could ride my sportbike. I did 88,000 km on the GS in 2 years and loved every minute of it. The GS was my departure from sportbikes because having ridden with GS owners I knew it could provide enough thrills without the sportbike negatives of being labelled a squid, insurance premiums, etc.

Once the HP2 was released I preferred its hardcore approach, more direct rally heritage, simplistic mindset (no luggage, no frills etc.), and optional SM rims. It was slow enough for the street, fast enough for the track and better off-road without losing the GS overall positives.

The only reason I didn't buy one was the trade in on my GS and the cash outlay required to have an HP2. Eventually I bought one when my 12GS was written off but I can say I'm glad I never traded in for it.

The HP2 is the only bike in my garage, it's more versatile IMO than my GS because, now with a local track 1 hour away I can do plenty of trackdays, run with the sportbikes on or off the track and do a lot more off-road riding every weekend than I could ever do with my GS. Yes the GS can do all of this, just not as well, not as focused. I don't need the carrying capacity or passenger accomodations of a GS, rarely needed them even when travelling long distances, so I'll always take the lighter, more simplistic or pure approach to a hardcore sport bike or enduro than the one with all the bells and whistles I never need. Bang for the buck in the HP class I find the HP2 the best of the bunch. The MM is awesome but only if you are dedicated road rider, I'm not. The Sport falls in line with the MM but at a significantly higher premium so I really do see the HP2 as a bargain relatively when it comes in near the GS price and is more directly linked to BMW's racing heritage than the other models.

The GS and GSA are incredible bikes, and if I was in a position where my spouse was a constant ride companion I wouldn't pick another bike. If I could have two bikes I'd have an RT and the HP2 since an RT is more passenger focused. I could certainly see buying another GS, but I will always have the HP2 for the times I want to just get out and do the things I cannot do on a GS. In all likelihood my next purchase will be the new BMW superbike, price dependent of course, which will sit alongside the HP2. If a wife does come along, she can buy the RT.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
JayV2
Muddy Boxer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R
If I could have two bikes I'd have an RT and the HP2 since an RT is more passenger focused.
For a while after buying my HP2, I figured an RT would be the ideal 2nd bike. I really love the dirt roads though, so nowadays I'm thinking a GSA with a good 90/10 tire setup would fit the bill for street duty leaving the HP2 for everything else. The HP2 does so many things so well. It's a hugely versatile bike.
JayV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R

The GS and GSA are incredible bikes, and if I was in a position where my spouse was a constant ride companion I wouldn't pick another bike. If I could have two bikes I'd have an RT and the HP2 since an RT is more passenger focused. I could certainly see buying another GS, but I will always have the HP2 for the times I want to just get out and do the things I cannot do on a GS. In all likelihood my next purchase will be the new BMW superbike, price dependent of course, which will sit alongside the HP2. If a wife does come along, she can buy the RT.
I agree regarding the RT. With the Megamoto I now have my toy for the twisty back roads. I'm not a dirt rider so the dirt worthiness of a GS is kind of a moot point for me. I bought the GS in late 2004 because a hex head R1200R was not available yet. Since getting the MM I've slowly turned my GS into my touring machine with GSA windshield, Jesse Safaris, Ohlins, Remus head pipe, etc. I sat on a GSA last week at the dealer. Yeah the larger tank will give you better wind protection for your legs but will never match an RT. In addition, even though I'm 6'2" it felt substantially heavier and its height will make it more difficult to manuever in slow speed situations compared to my GS. My vote for the next bike to park next to my MM is an RT or maybe a GT with more wind protection and better comfort for the pillion. Just my .02
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
LostRider
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 235
Bigger is not always better... Especially off road. I've been to some tough hard to get places with my GS, some of these places had me thinking why I didn't I buy an HP2. In the end they are 3 bikes, each with their area of specialty and the GS is what fit me better.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #8
Harry Sheene
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bought both in the same week HP2 and GSA). Only kept the HP2.
Harry Sheene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
12GS.

It fits what I do: a 60 mile round trip commute to work on urban highways, and the ocassional 300 to 500 mile day trip.

The HP2 isn't on my radar. Cool bike, but not for what I do.

The GSA's bigger tank is certainly attractive, but I don't really need it for several reasons. One, I never ride so far from gas stations that range is a big issue. Secondly, when I'm with somebody or a group, if I don't have the longest range, then somebody certainly has a shorter range so we usually have to fill up before I need to anyway. That, and when I'm alone I like giving my legs a stretch after a couple hundred miles.

It'd be different if I rode the boonies in Mexico, South America and Alaska, or competed in IBA type events. I guess I'm just a boring adventure rider....

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,485
HP2. I have a GS, and would buy it over the GSA, due to the weight/bulk. I ride it like I think it's an HP2, anyway. I almost bought a used HP2, but Iraq sort of interfered. Now, I'm getting an 800 when I get back. I am debating on whether to sell the GS, or put a sidcar on it.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
w00dy
Woody is my dog! Really!

Oddometer: 93
GS to a GSA

I've been riding my '05 GS and loving every minute of it. Never considered another bike. I feel like, "til death do us part". But I think I already said that like to my wife... I can't do that 2ce in my lifetime. It would feel like polygamy!!!!
I'm a stand-up, one-bike kinda guy!

I've had a numerous bikes but since '99 only BMW's:
"99 RT
'02 K1200rs
'05 GS

In '05 I was set to go for the awesome '05 K1200S and indeed, I was #3 on my local dealer's list the first ones arrived. However, after reading ride reports, it scared me. Too fast, too powerful, too much of everything!

I've always watched in utter amazement these crazy GS'ers ride like a bandit, blowing away the crotch rocket crowds around corners like there's no tomorrow.

I decided the R1200GS was my kind of bike. One test ride and I took one home. I've done several longer (for me) trips including from SF to Yellowstone Nat'l Park in 2006.

However, after lurking and seeing all those BIG BAD GSA's on the "Show Me Your GS" forum, BMW's sponsorship of Long Way 'Round/Down, I fell victim to marketing and started dreaming about the GSA.

Well, on Tuesday night I dreamt that I was at my local BMW dealer, Marin BMW. It felt sooo real!!!! Furthermore, I dreamt I rode one home. I woke up yesterday morning and it's sitting in my garage! Whoa!!!!!

So I did get the chance to do it over. Or did I? No, the GS was a fabulous bike and it an integral part and stepping stone to a GSA. I have no regrets.

Why you may ask? ESA, ASC, Big tank, TPM, Big windshield, Bad-Ass, but the real kicker was the front end felt so planted where my GS was squirrely (?) when riding superslab. Oh, and I always get a new one when the warranty is up.

Do I need it? No. Did I have to have it? Yes! Was it the right thing to do? Uh, only time will tell.

Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me...
w00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
Lottahops
Lottahops

Oddometer: 173
All over again...

I had an 06 GS and about a year and a half later with 11,000 proud miles I traded it in on the 07 GSA. It was the bike I wanted to buy in the first place but didn't want to wait six monnths to get one. Now that I have a GSA I am noticing that my old GS definitely had its good points.
I am 6' even with 32 in inseam adn the GSA is almost to high for total comfort maneuvering around pushing with legs into and out of parking spots and the such. It is a little more difficult on dirt though I manage. My old GS had all I needed on it minus a great lighting system which was only a good paycheck away.
Gas can be dealt with, a friend of mine uses the Sherpa tank saddle bags to hold one gallon gas tanks in each side. That 2 extra gallons help in case it is needed. Most cases it is not.
the less weight and versitility of the reg GS I think out weigh the GSA. I am happy though and will do fine with my GSA, perhaps put the 170 lb Ohlins onto it that fit a reg GS and the height issue is gone with great suspension.

Live long and ride off road....

Victor

Lottahops

VicSternberg Jr.
Las Vegas, NV

07' GSA
Lottahops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
BMW-K OP
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,240
Interesting to read the responses guys! I have a GS, tarted up in all the usual ways (ohlins, BMS Saddle, Zega's, H-B gaurds, Quad Fogs w/ HID's, Givi Screen, Zumo/autocom/xm/radar) and it's one helluva bike. But there ARE those times I keep thinking about weight...and how nice it would be to have something so much lighter and simpler.

My GS is set for long distance riding and is just a fuel cell away from being Rally capable.

It's a pipe dream, I'm sure. I know deep down the moment I part with the GS I'll start pining for it again. An HP2 won't be 1000 mile comfortable without a new seat...and that gas tank would need to be enlarged...and then... Yeah.

I want the HP2...I HAVE the bike I NEED.

I just need a bigger garage!

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
Steady
Flogster

Oddometer: 281
Just did. Had a GSA, great bike, however when I walked into the garage I always seemed to get on the XChallenge, always found myself planning a ride on the smaller bike. Sold the GSA and got the HP2.

It makes the adrenaline pump. It makes me shit myself a bit. It makes me wanna explore the edge of my limits. It makes me feel ALIVE!!
have thoughts of running away with, you know at some point it will end in tears but you just have to come back for more, at times it makes no sense but when you get down and dirty who cares about sense." - scotsmun
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
I'd do the same...but if I was buying a new one today..I'd go with the GSA just because I don't like the looks of the newer GS...The only thing the GSA has for me that I like over the GS (besides looks) is the taller saddle
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote