Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,963
I really don't understand why GS owners continue to beat their heads against the brick wall with these CANBUS enabled chargers.

Add a pig-tail to your battery and trickle charge directly, bypassing the CANBUS. It's so simple.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
I really don't understand why GS owners continue to beat their heads against the brick wall with these CANBUS enabled chargers.
Because those are the same chargers that are gel battery compatible?
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafpolo View Post
After paying mega bucks for clothes and pieces, you'd think they would at least do something....
Perhaps a little understanding of Economics 101 could help ...

It's good to understand that EVERY warranty you receive is something you've bought. There is NO SUCH THING as a warranty that's free.

If you want a lifetime warranty, someone will likely take your money. Given that warranties are EXACTLY the same thing as insurance policies, you can take to the bank the insurance company won't lose money.

Personally I'm glad I wasn't forced to pay for any more warranty than I did. I'd hate to think the prices of things I need to buy were increased to please the minority that demand risk-free life.

No question you're pretty near the top of motorcycles, but this isn't Rolls Royce territory.

A block of ice could fall from an airliner's lavatory and go through the roof of your house and I'd feel more sorry for you.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:

Add a pig-tail to your battery and trickle charge directly, bypassing the CANBUS. It's so simple.
Thank you!!!! +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Battery Tender Jr. chargers are like $30 bucks, connect a pigtail direct to the battery and plug into the wall....then forget about it. And if you read their website, its completely compatible with AGM and gel cell batteries.

I've never seen this topic be such an issue on any other bike forum...
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
Quote:

Precisely!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Battery Tender Jr. chargers are like $30 bucks, connect a pigtail direct to the battery and plug into the wall....then forget about it. And if you read their website, its completely compatible with AGM and gel cell batteries.
And if you don't need the extra capabilities that are available on some of the more expensive chargers, that's what you should get.

Knowing myself as well as I do (which is pretty well ), I predict that sooner or later I will get my money's worth out of the extra Desulfation modes in the Optimate 4 DP, which I paid about $40 for and which is also CANBUS compatible.

Plus, while I have not had a BT Jr, I have had a BT and 3 BT Pluses. 3 of my BTs have died and for whatever reason, one or more of those BTs killed 2 different batteries in my KTM 525. Meaning, after leaving the BT hooked up to a not-very-old battery in my KTM for a month or 2, I went to crank it and found the battery to be dead. And this happened with 2 different batteries.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I'm just saying...

For anyone with an Excide branded battery I urge you to reach out to DelTran and ask which charger is best suited for your battery. Not the "only" charger that will work but the charger that's "optimized" for your battery. I'm just saying.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,136
Is it not necessary to disconnect the battery from the bike when you hook the charger directly to the battery?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Is it not necessary to disconnect the battery from the bike when you hook the charger directly to the battery?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it is not necessary to disconnect the battery in order to charge it.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #25
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
My current choice is CTEK. Right now I have the model CTEK US 800 which states
Quote:
Most vehicles today are equipped with sensitive electronic systems. Unlike less-sophisticated chargers, there is no need to disconnect the battery; the US 800 is specially designed to not damage electronic systems.
and thinking about upgrading to the CTEK Multi US 4.3

What I like about the CTEK Multi US 4.3 is the automatic detection of end-of-life batteries... which had bit me before (got to admit the battery was 5 years old and I had another type of charger then too). And I don't see myself going to the newer lithium batteries any time soon. Call me old fashion, but the GEL and AGM batteries work just fine. Hey... if I can get a charger that will blink a warning light to tell me it's time to change out the battery... then I'm sold. Done deal.

Mine too is setup with pig tails directly to the battery.

Good question about isolating the battery. Awhile back I thought I had read where someone had posted / questioned whether or not the bike's clock had reset in regards to a battery charger having a too big of pulse for the canbus system. So that might be a sign that your current charger is not acceptable for the canbus system or your bike or your set up. Don't know just thought I would throw that in there for discussion...
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
No, it is not necessary to disconnect the battery in order to charge it.
Right. AS LONG AS your charger never goes into a high voltage Desulfate mode...

The Optimate 4 DP manual specifically states that it will not enter its Turbo desulfate mode (22V) if it detects that the battery is connected to vehicle electronics.

The BT Jr is safe to use with the battery connected because, essentially, it's just a dumb trickle charger with a max current of 0.75A.

The BT Plus has a max current of 1.25A. So, until I see an official statement to the contrary, I would assume that under some conditions (e.g. the battery is significantly depleted) the BT Plus can deliver enough juice to damage a BMW gel battery and/or cause some problem with the bike's electronics.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
The Battery tender was great in it's day but it amazes me how many pp here are invested in new technology everywhere but their battery charger. 14.70 volts is the absorption charge and 13.5 to 13.8 vdc float for Odyssey. StuartV rightly points out that there are better to be had. One de-sulfation technology is by high frequency waves; the lesser ones have pulsating high voltage. Battery Minder and Pulsetech are the de-sulfation industry leaders.

Cell equalization is not true de-sulfation. It just drops the hard sulfate to the bottom of the cell where it can latter short out the cells.

If any of you are in the market for a new battery maintainer you might want to check out my list of must have features. $30 gets you in the door with preventative maintenance. Good charger/maintainers cost about $50-$75 on sale.

My list:
Battery I have in place? Brand I will buy down the road?
>Buy according to battery maker spec

Odyssey or not?
Odyssey chargers should begin with constant amperage charge >6 amps. Then they must switch to constant voltage reaching 14.7 volts. Here they do a 1-6 hour absorption charge at constant voltage 14.7 to 15.0.
Finally they must switch to float between 13.5 and 13.8.

Consider getting more than one charger. Float is the most critical on Odyssey and Gel. Special dedicated low amp maintainers are ideal.

You don't have to buy from the authorized charger list over at Odyssey:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...CT2012_000.pdf

But you should have a volt meter to test any prospects.

Other worthwhile features:
- World voltage capable
- High power factor >90% efficient
- (above insures that you can charge from a generator)
- does not heat battery (ideally has temp probe)
- minimum 5 year warranty
- auto-restart after power interruption
- remembers last program and cycle
- How water resistant? Look for "IP number. IP 67 or 68 is great
- capable of preventing thermal runaway
- has Calcium program and or Lithium
- How quickly will you need to re-charge? Odyssey beats the rest hands down,Only one that can be recharged at 40-50 amp rate and be ready to roll in 5 minutes fro 100% flat.

Have not tried NOCO but they look good.
Reputable brands:
Battery minder (VDC); CTEK US 7003; BatteryDoc doctor (by makers of sonic screw driver); Odyssey OMAX(charges odyssey only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
I have 1 dozen Deltrans working at the present. Some are over 10 years old. Works a treat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
+1 Hard to beat them, I have four of them and have never had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
The battery in the GS (here in the USA at least) is a standard, maintenance free, YUASA branded battery, right? There is nothing special about the "BMW AGM battery" or "BMW gel battery" I see referred to...or am I missing something? I'm new to BMW, but haven't found documentation saying otherwise. Just a bit confused since its sometimes referred to as if its a unique thing.

I'm still trying to track down differences and convince myself I should be using a charger which is more sophisticated than the old-skool-kool BTJr.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #29
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Exide

Quote:
The battery in the GS (here in the USA at least) is a standard, maintenance free, YUASA branded battery, right? There is nothing special about the "BMW AGM battery" or "BMW gel battery" I see referred to...or am I missing something? I'm new to BMW, but haven't found documentation saying otherwise. Just a bit confused since its sometimes referred to as if its a unique thing.

I'm still trying to track down differences and convince myself I should be using a charger which is more sophisticated than the old-skool-kool BTJr.
My BMW branded battery is made by exide for which DelTran has a different program for.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #30
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
The battery in the GS (here in the USA at least) is a standard, maintenance free, YUASA branded battery, right? There is nothing special about the "BMW AGM battery" or "BMW gel battery" I see referred to...or am I missing something? ...

... Just a bit confused ...

... still trying to track down differences and convince myself I should be using a charger which is more sophisticated than the old-skool-kool BTJr.
AGM batteries are stock I think. Check your manual or better, the battery itself. Your choice is really for something that has a transformer in it and is not water-proof for $40 or an advanced hi-freq switching, compact water-resistant charger that will come in real handy if you ever need to charge off generator power. Extra months or years out of the battery then the charger pays for itself.

Aircraft and boat owners have always been on the forefront of battery charging.
http://batteryminders.com/prints/avi...-in-a-walk.pdf

batterystuff.com is a good outfit Might still be able to get their 25% off no tax BF deal before December.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote