Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #31
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwirepro View Post
My BMW branded battery is made by exide for which DelTran has a different program for.
Checked mine....YUASA YTX14H-BS. According to their website...YTX=high performance glass matt, 14=volts, H=high CCA (240 vs 200 on the standard ytx14-bs), BS=bottle supplied electrolyte.

Otherwise, doesn't look like there is any difference than any other maintenance free battery...
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #32
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Thank you!!!! +1

Battery Tender Jr. chargers are like $30 bucks, connect a pigtail direct to the battery and plug into the wall....then forget about it. And if you read their website, its completely compatible with AGM and gel cell batteries.

I've never seen this topic be such an issue on any other bike forum...
^ All of this

And the drama!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #33
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 201
There's one thing that I don't get (and maybe some kind soul can enlighten me): this obsession with battery tenders.

Maybe it's for countries where the bike or car stays parked for months during winter?

Here, down under, where minus 0C and snow are rarities and car/bikes are used year round, nobody uses battery tenders. Batteries don't go flat (unless you forget something like lights or the stereo on) and last for 4, 5 years easily before starting weakening.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #34
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
There's one thing that I don't get (and maybe some kind soul can enlighten me): this obsession with battery tenders.

Maybe it's for countries where the bike or car stays parked for months during winter?

Here, down under, where minus 0C and snow are rarities and car/bikes are used year round, nobody uses battery tenders. Batteries don't go flat (unless you forget something like lights or the stereo on) and last for 4, 5 years easily before starting weakening.
I think you answered your own question.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #35
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 201
Yeah, I probably did...

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Wow, there is alot of unecessary drama because, bottom line, battery tenders pretty much all work. I use the the Deltran on "off-brand" bikes(tongue in cheek), ie- Harley, Kawasaki, Ural , etc. and the BMW charger on , (guess what?), the BMW's! Have done so for over 6 years with no problem. Bad mouth them (BMW canbus compatible chargers) for their high cost if you want, but they DO work,and very well in my experience. End of story- except it is the ambient temperatures( excessive heat) that are hard on batteries, not the cold. Low temps just make the mechancial things harder to start making weak batteries "die". I keep my batteries topped off with the chargers due to parasitic drain of the auxillary electronics these modern bikes have, so the Ural and old Kawasaki's hardly ever get charged. Just say'in.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottVet View Post
Wow, there is alot of unecessary drama because, bottom line, battery tenders pretty much all work. I use the the Deltran on "off-brand" bikes(tongue in cheek), ie- Harley, Kawasaki, Ural , etc. and the BMW charger on , (guess what?)....
Its about charging a *battery* not a mc. By-pass Canbus and the mc is of no consequence.

Sooner or latter you'll be replacing the battery. If you choose Odyssey (and a lot do) then you need to float between 13.5 - 13.8. I'm not sure on why Odyssey would suffer degradation if left on float at 13.2 to 13.4 as opposed to leaving the battery disconnected at 12.8-13.0 but that is what Enersys says. Battery Tender brand floats in the danger area. BT also can not deliver absorption regulated voltage charge 14.7-15.0, 1-6 hrs.

If the question arises can I get some juice back in my neglected, drained Odyssey using a BT, the answer is yes, enough to start it but why ruin a $150 battery? I posted a few links on Enersys approved deals that have been going on in the $30-$50 range.

vintagerider screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 10:58 AM
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #38
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Noco genius is what i use...bought the g3500 model to maintain bike and truck battery...lower supply current (amps) is always better to maintain long life of your battery..750ma-900ma supply current and your good to go-.500ma is what i always used as that what was stated in the directions supplied with my old batteries..desulfication (pulse wave) and all this other stuff is BS marketing (temperature compensation is a theory i do believe in though)..id suggest the noco as they are a mom and pop usa country and speak english on the phone..about $50bux (less even but depends on what you want) and you can have a noco that can work for every toy in your garage...bmw (broke my wallet) branded stuff well you learned a lesson

ps? old days i had and still do a trickle charger but pain in the butt watching the time so i did not boil off the acid..new stuff like the noco is idiot proof and myself being and idiot like that i can hook em up and walk away

ps: i kinda like a float mode that hold under 14.4v (12v battery LA) and under 7.2v (6v battery Lead acid)-----1.2v is about all each plate can hold so do the math

snooter screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 01:52 PM
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
It's hard to beat the Deltran Tenders. They seem to work very well and forever! I've had mine for many years and use it on several bikes with no issues.

As a side benefit, you now will have a directly wired connection to the battery for accessories like an air pump or heated clothing. Just make sure to add a fuse to the circuit. On my GS I added an outlet on the beak that goes directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. I use the DIN plug adapter on the charger. I don't remember if it came with the DIN plug or if I built it but since I have DIN plugs on all my bikes for the compressor and GPS it work on all of them.

Gerg
Yeah, I've got 4 Deltran Tender Plus units, most are over 8 yrs old, they're never unplugged, and are good units. I bypass the Canbus BullS%@* on my 1200 by installing an SAE plug for the Deltron, my heated vest, and tire compressor, all of which cannot be run on the BMW outlet plug.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote