jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
My suggestions come used and in pairs:

Leaning towards 2-up and road use:

Cheap / quality tourer and a premium dual-sport = V-Strom 650/1000 + 690 Enduro

leaning towards solo and some rough-roads or mild trails:

lux tourer and a capable but inexpensive dual-sport = R1200GS + DR650

You can do either pair nicely for your budget, without giving up much. 1 bike can't do it all AND do it well

If 1 bike had to do it all, I'd be shopping R1200GS, 990 Adventure, and Tiger 800 XC
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Versys is my obvious choice. Its so damn much fun to ride, the missus will be comfy on back if she's sized like mine, 5'7 120. Off road, a couple of suspension tweaks will make it perform wonderfully. And its a hoot on the blacktop when your by yourself.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post

Your comment about 50% of your time not being 2up, what you want etc., but that still leaves half the time with her. JMO, (and you did ask), but either look seriously what will accommodate her or just buy what you want and stop pretending "I bought it for us". I don't know you or your new wife and you may have a ton of riding hours and miles together so this is mute or she ultimately may not like anything more than a short spin and then it won't matter, but putting her on a 2X4 seat with terrible ergonomics and limiting luggage ,etc., etc will not be a good plan "A" and including her input to the choice will be much betterer for many reasons. Get an old touring bike for 2-3 grand and then buy a great off roader for your "me" time/rides/

My advice is worth what you paid for it,

Good Luck and safe travels.
I honestly have no idea how much she will like riding as she was never on any of my past scoots. I don't think 2 side cases, a top case and a tank bag is limited luggage. I have traveled from anything from that to a backpack for a weekend. If cramming her stuff into 2.5 of the 3 cases to get her to accept this challenge I am up for it. Maybe I will find a dirt cheap ST1100 and see how it goes and if it tanks, sell/trade for another thumper and not be out much if anything. The fact is I want to still hit gravel if at all possible on any given trip I am on. It's just what I enjoy. I have well over 100K miles of riding under my belt and think I know what I want. That being a GS/Tenere/Strom/KTM type Adventure bike.....if it will suit a passenger in relative comfort even if we have to take breaks every 150 miles. I want to stop and smell the roses more than I have in the past and not focus on the destination.

The main reason I am taking her into consideration on this is I want her to enjoy these trips as I have traveled solo for the past 8+ years many on a bike and I only have room/desire for ONE bike. I have owned 2-5 bikes at one time in the past and flat out burned out on having too much "stuff".
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Get a used dirty farkled Tiger.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Tenere Two-Up Review

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/897/14...Up-Review.aspx

Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsi View Post
The earlier advice to get a couple of bikes sounds good to me. I've had Harleys (sportsters, Electra Glides, and a Street Glide) which were great for trips (no problem doing 700 mile days on the EG), a Ulysses (did a 4 day 2200 mile ride to the Blue Ridge Pkwy this spring) - but my wife didn't really care for any of those - due mostly to her preferring shorter rides, mostly just around Linn County here. So those bikes are all gone...the two that have worked out best are my old C10 Concours and my 650 ABS V-Strom. She finds them both comfortable and I have found I like them both for different reasons. Even coming from the Buell, I've been extremely happy with the V-Strom, even for the little 2 up highway riding I've done. In your case a C10 or ST for the 2 up and a lighter dual sport may be a good answer.

It's good to know there are other Cedar Rapids area folks on here. I'm looking forward to getting some miles during the next couple of days with the forecast near 60 degrees. It will feel a little nicer than the 200 miles I did last Sunday in the low 40's.
I can't stress enough how I do not want 2 bikes again. I just do not have the time I used to to actual utilize them. Now with a wife and 2 growing step kids I am a shuttle. I have not missed having a bike, but I have not had or made time to ride one when I did this past summer.

My 12K budget is lofty and I hope I don't hit double digits unless I really want to. I just want a dull swiss army knife bike. Does a lot of things ok with a lot of effort at times.

Thanks for the article Superzoom, damn I love that bike!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post

I am all over the board and know what I need and that is reliable, parts readily available, home serviceable by a hobbyist that probably should not have as many tools as he does. Pretty much a rock solid, simple bike with the ability to sport 3 pieces of luggage.
Stelvio
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Two things you must take into consideration.
#1 Seat height vs. your inseam. If you buy a tall bike and have a passenger, it could spell trouble at the stop sign.
#2 Your combined weights. Not much to say, only a bigger bike may be necessary to haul both of you in comfort.
You may end up buying and selling a couple of bikes before you figure it all out. I have a bike that is decent for 2 up and perfect for me solo. My wife will go on rides with me but it is not really her thing. If I had a more comfortable bike for her would she ride more (longer distance)? There is not a real answer for you here, you will only find out through trial and error.
Good luck!
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Stelvio
Nearest dealer? Price tag is pretty lofty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
Two things you must take into consideration.
#1 Seat height vs. your inseam. If you buy a tall bike and have a passenger, it could spell trouble at the stop sign.
#2 Your combined weights. Not much to say, only a bigger bike may be necessary to haul both of you in comfort.
You may end up buying and selling a couple of bikes before you figure it all out. I have a bike that is decent for 2 up and perfect for me solo. My wife will go on rides with me but it is not really her thing. If I had a more comfortable bike for her would she ride more (longer distance)? There is not a real answer for you here, you will only find out through trial and error.
Good luck!
I am 6' with a 32" inseam. Never had issues on any bike really. Combined weight of the two of us 325 without gear.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,977
how tall/long legged is she? That's a key pillion comfort factor too. I'm not touching the live wire weight question for her...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Nearest dealer? Price tag is pretty lofty.

You could buy a lightly used one within you budget.

Dealer? I thought you had tools and were going to service it yourself?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
how tall/long legged is she? That's a key pillion comfort factor too. I'm not touching the live wire weight question for her...
Which is why I combined our weight . She's 5'6", fairly average in the leg length I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
You could buy a lightly used one within you budget.

Dealer? I thought you had tools and were going to service it yourself?
Dealer for parts or service if needed. I know nothing about MG's and have never really considered one. It's not a deal breaker unless it's unreliable. 09 leftover for 10K http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item3ccc14df09
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #28
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Dealer for parts or service if needed. I know nothing about MG's and have never really considered one. It's not a deal breaker unless it's unreliable. 09 leftover for 10K http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item3ccc14df09
The closest "good" dealer that I know of for you will be Rose Farm Classics in Illinois.

There is a good network of stocking dealers around the country that can mail you anything you need. Moto International, MPH, Harper's, MG Cycle, etc.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #29
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

I like the bike, it's what I am hoping I end up with in an ADV/Touring type bike. Thanks, I will keep it in mind.

Used Brevia seem well priced as well. 750 or 1100's with very low miles. More street oriented it appears.

30Bones screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 09:27 AM
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
VStrom or Tiger 1050 seem to fit the bill exactly. I've ridden 2 up on both with the required 3 piece luggage and they both did fantastic.

Yes the S10 has it all over the above 2 in the ADV dept but for gravel roads you really don't need anything like the S10 where the Strom or Tiger would do just fine.

Get one of the above used, farkle it to your spec and then spend the rest on gas and smiles.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote