Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #31
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
You will not find the big GS boring & niether should she.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #32
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS1AB View Post
check it out, 91 with 87K loaded and ready to roll.
No thanks, never liked anything about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
You will not find the big GS boring & niether should she.
When did I state a GS would be boring?
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #33
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
you guys with the long legs are who the moto designers are creating bikes to fit.
There were many bikes that I tried to sit on and realized that it was plain too tall for me.
Then to amplify that fact by having a passenger on board became a deal breaker.
Go ride the ones that you like and see what speaks to you.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #34
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
When did I state a GS would be boring?
I'll say it.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #35
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,624
A GS would not be boring, but it would be more than I could handle off road. The seat is just to high and the bike is 2 heavy for me to handle on loose surfaces. I even have issues with a KLR. My off road/dirt road bike is an XT225. My road bikes are a 1500 Goldwing and a Kawasaki Vulcan 750. The Vulcan 750 is perfect for just me, but simply cannot handle a passenger, unless both the rider and passenger are on the small side. I know you said you didn't want a Goldwing, but I would at least check the rated load carrying capacity of any bike you are considering, then add enough to your weight to cover gear and luggage, and make sure you have at least a little left over. You would be amazed just how low the rated load carrying capacity of some bikes are. My daughter and I, with gear and some luggage come close to maxing out the Goldwing. Of course a Goldwing comes with a couple hundred pounds of excess weight to begin with.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #36
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Found it, it's legendary

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3402976808.html

Quote:
1975 goldwing for restoring - $100 (Mt. Vernon)

THIS IS LOST TREASURE TO SOME. Once owned by a legendary Iowan.
You have a chance to start your own motorcycle museum.
This was the first year for the Honda gold-wing.
comes with a manual and extras, like a vetter ferring
CALLS ONLY if serious
Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #37
30Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Well now that I am bikeless and married I am window shopping/rambling for a steed. Mrs. Bones has expressed interest in riding pillion and I try to reiterate over and over. "I am not talking around town, I am talking weekend getaways or day trips someplace. If you are not interested I will just buy another dual sport on the cheap and use it as MY getaway bike". I have owned VFRs, Sprint, Bandit, Sportster for touring and KLR, KTM, Husky for 600cc class singles.

I am all over the board and know what I need and that is reliable (so big 3 Japanese manufacturers are getting the nods), parts readily available, home serviceable by a hobbyist that probably should not have as many tools as he does. Pretty much a rock solid, simple bike with the ability to sport 3 pieces of luggage.

New or used (let's say a lofty 12K budget or less), so that means carb or EFI is doable. I have owned both and they have their +/-'s.

In the new market I am hard pressed to not look past the Vstrom 1000 in ADV trim or Super Tenere. While the Tenere may be above my budget I am optimistic a used sorted out one will pop up within a year or so. Hard pressed to see me go down anything but gravel or a dry low maintenance road on any bike I am talking about here, which most are able, some far more than others.

KTM950/990 ADV or a GS might take me beyond some of my needs as far as parts availability and servicing myself since dealers are farther away, I would need to learn a lot more than oil changes and lubing parts.

Used ST1100/1300 are also on the radar for good reasons. Local stealer has a leftover 1300 for $13,500

FJR and Connie are dull like the ST, but damn fine bikes. All would be silly to take off blacktop which would frustrate me on solo rides.

Honda NT700????

Another Bandit 1250 is hard to look past for price and that motor
Well last September my wife *cough*bought me*cough* a very nicely farkled 1999 VFR800 with GIVI luggage, HELI's, suspension work, pipe, under 30K miles, new PR3's, gear driven cams.... for a great price. Flew to DC and was back home 2 days later. Took my wife out a few times in the chilly temps before putting it away. She likes it a lot and is looking forwards to many smiles this season.

Best thing about this model VFR over my 02 that had GIVI also. This rack system comes off with the bolts for the grab handle and the pins on the footpegs. Takes all of 5 minutes to take it down to "stock".

Did I mention gear driven cams?