Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #61
WOTDesigns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
vwboomer, That is a common question. Honestly it was one of the main reasons I made a instructional video. Posted below... literally uploaded a few minutes ago.

Reality is that you should ALWAYS decelerate before braking. Not doing so will wind you up on your head, since pushing the rear and stopping the front creates a decrease in traction. BUT in reality it comes down to your grip on the throttle. I 2-finger brake and throttle so I don't notice at all. I recommend just chopping throttle as you are rescuing for the brake. Its a natural reaction, but the brain over thinks it. Just like normal you should always decelerate prior to braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi0Woe9fFs4
www.omni-cruise.com ADVRider discount is 12% off. PM ME FOR THE CODE
WOTDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #62
WOTDesigns
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-Gator View Post
Brian; thanks for mailing it out on Nov 8th. Canada Post finally fed and watered the pony, postal workers finished their coffee break, ran out of excuses for not working and managed to deliver it almost to my house ("super box" at the corner) on Nov 20th.
Clever design there young fella, and nice workmanship. Looking forward to installing it in place of the go-cruise which was ok, but slipped a bit more than desired. Your design will obviously overcome the shortcomings of the go-cruise.
Thanks much,
Wally
NICE! Glad to hear they found you!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #63
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
vwboomer, That is a common question. Honestly it was one of the main reasons I made a instructional video. Posted below... literally uploaded a few minutes ago.

Reality is that you should ALWAYS decelerate before braking. Not doing so will wind you up on your head, since pushing the rear and stopping the front creates a decrease in traction. BUT in reality it comes down to your grip on the throttle. I 2-finger brake and throttle so I don't notice at all. I recommend just chopping throttle as you are rescuing for the brake. Its a natural reaction, but the brain over thinks it. Just like normal you should always decelerate prior to braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi0Woe9fFs4

Watched the video. My question was more so related to emergency braking - like a deer or supermodel running out in front of the bike. It's natural to roll off when going for the brake and counting on the spring to return the throttle to zero, hopefully it's as intuitive to roll the palm across at the same time as grabbing the lever.
I'll definitely order one. Turrible shame riding season is limited at this point
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #64
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Ordered one this morning.

Had a Go-Cruise and loved it, till it snapped in half after only a few weeks use.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #65
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Watched the video. My question was more so related to emergency braking - like a deer or supermodel running out in front of the bike. It's natural to roll off when going for the brake and counting on the spring to return the throttle to zero, hopefully it's as intuitive to roll the palm across at the same time as grabbing the lever.
I'll definitely order one. Turrible shame riding season is limited at this point
You have to remember to consciously close the throttle when getting on the brakes hard. A couple of times with the Go-Cruise I hit the brakes and clutch and red-lined the engine. It's a strange feeling, like sensory overload. Hard on the brakes, traffic coming to a halt, check your mirrors and suddenly your engine is screaming. "WTF? Oh yeah, the throttle lock, damn, what do I need to do, oh yeah, close the damn throttle" All in about 1/4 of a second. You'll get used to it...
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #66
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
You have to remember to consciously close the throttle when getting on the brakes hard. A couple of times with the Go-Cruise I hit the brakes and clutch and red-lined the engine. It's a strange feeling, like sensory overload. Hard on the brakes, traffic coming to a halt, check your mirrors and suddenly your engine is screaming. "WTF? Oh yeah, the throttle lock, damn, what do I need to do, oh yeah, close the damn throttle" All in about 1/4 of a second. You'll get used to it...
Before I had the Omni-Cruise, I had the throttle rocker

Worked great on the freeway, but when I would get in city traffic I would always blip the throttle on accident and it was harder to move out of the way. Kinda scary
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #67
Craneguy
British Hooligan

That's the good thing about the omni-cruise. You really can't set it inadvertently.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #68
WOTDesigns
Adventurer

Thank you guys four the helpful replies!

They nailed it: clutch + brake + same throttle position = high revs. same thing would happen without a throttle lock, but with any throttle lock it revs a little higher unless you have a decent grip in the throttle (which you probably will in a panic stop)

Best practice is to chop throttle as you are reaching for the brake lever. This can be easily done in a nice smooth motion with experience on your side. I dramatized the chop throttle in the video to make it easier to see. I probably should have added a smooth roll off as I an reaching for the brake too.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #69
WOTDesigns
Adventurer

attempting to embed the video for easier viewing... take 3

Old 11-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #70
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Laugh

When I see something new like this I usually wait for the dust to settle after the first wave hits the beach, but this thing just has too much going for it to hold off. I've had Throttlemeister, Manic Salamander, Vista Cruise, and even the good old fat O-ring between the grip and the brake master cylinder. There was always something not to like about each one. This thing - good design, simple, sturdy, made in USA - what's left not to like?

My order's in.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #71
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
... This thing - good design, simple, sturdy, made in USA - what's left not to like?

My order's in.
Mine, too.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #72
Craneguy
British Hooligan

It arrived!
I was getting concerned but it's here (along with something that shipped a week before... Mexico huh!)

It's nice bit of kit and a big step-up from the Go-Cruise in quality and it is skinnier so that will let me go back to 3 finger braking with my short lever.

Nice work. Hope you sell a million of them!

It just clears my Barkbuster... Exactly the same clearance as the Go-Cruise with stock guards for those thinking of upgrading.

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 09:50 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #73
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,850
I'm in !! It looks like a great product.
I just ordered and payed with paypal.
Thanks !!
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #74
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Will mine be the first one shipped to Canada? Order just placed.
Got mine a few days ago, looks great. Installed it but have not had a chance to ride yet.
Pretty sure I was the first Canuck order, got one of the three discount coupons.

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #75
stnick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Bands

I just ordered mine and noticed the replacement "bands" after I ordered. I noticed in the picture of the Triumph Tiger there is no band being used, I wonder if it will work without the band? Anyway, the bands are cheap and free shipping and will allow me to use the it on all my bikes.

Nick:
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote