ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #331
RedInTheShed
Jart

Oddometer: 23
The Brothers Zacker Ride... again

Yeah, I'm very excited. It will be great to ride with you all. Todd has said so much about you all.

I bought a 2008 GS Adventure. It should be interesting cuz I'm out of practice, at best. And then the biggest thing I had ridden was a 250 offroad. So, we'll see how long it takes before I launch myself over the bars. I just hope I don't break anything ... on the bike that is.
RedInTheShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #332
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Sweet! What did he get?
'08 BMW R1200GS... He road my '12 this summer up in Michigan. Then over Thanksgiving he was down in Williamsburg and I think he spent more time druelling over my bike than the food. When he returned to Chi-town he put his jeep up for sale on Monday night and sold it Wednesday. Posted Saturday that he was looking for a GS and a guy replied saying he was trading his for a Multi-Strada. Dave looked at it Sunday and gave a down payment, and picked it up on Wednesday.

It all happened quick, but it came with no Farkels, so I have been helping where I can...Spltilanes helped with boots, I sent Gloves and an old jacket & helmet, but I think he hit a swap meet this past weekend and got a new jacket, pants and helmet. Anyone have experience with Bilt brand?

Anyway it will be cool to ride with him for the first time and enjoy all the new experiences.

Okay...I meant :ri cky
And hopefully not to much
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #333
RedInTheShed
Jart

Boots are awesome!

SplitslaneslikeMOSES, love the boots! Thanks. I wear a large size 12. The boots are a small 13. So, they work perfectly especially since I like to put on heavy socks when riding in the cold... and it is 1degree here today with a windchill of 17 below! Guess I won't ride today...

Sure hope it warms before I ride to meet you all.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #334
RedInTheShed
Jart

What Todd Said

He pretty much hit the nail on the head. Loved riding his GS.

I bought the Jeep as a 4x4 bike -- take the top off and take it airborn. And I did just that a few times... but it was not a bike. So, Todd's GS put me back on the bike trail--figuratively and literally. Our dad gave me his '81 Honda CB650. I got it running after sitting for 21 years. Cool, but not a dualsport bike, not powerful enough for touring 2 up. So, after drooling over his GS, again, I had to get one.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #335
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Anyone have experience with Bilt brand?
BiLT is made in England (if I'm not mistaken) and sold by Cycle Gear.
I bought a waterproof insulated suit from them and have no complaints.
It has kept me warm and dry.
I wish I had took more time trying them on as the size of the pants is a tad large for me.
The zipper on the jacket is opposite than normal, so that takes a little getting used to.
I believe my gear came with a 5 year warranty as well.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/brandpages/bilt_brand.cfm
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #336
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
The zipper on the jacket is opposite than normal, so that takes a little getting used to.
I think that means you're wearing a ladies Jacket.........sorry couldn't help myself (again)

Back down to my basement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #337
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
I think a little time at some adv events and you could grow into those pants.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #338
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
I think that means you're wearing a ladies Jacket.........sorry couldn't help myself (again)

Back down to my basement.
Well it fits my girlish figure nicely.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #339
RedInTheShed
Jart

Bilt

I noticed the pants run a bit big, too. The zipper is opposite, too. But the quality seems good, in my limited experience. I got a rain/winter/summer jacket and pants, a pair of cheap gloves, and a dualsport, DOT approved helment, all for $400. If it holds up well, it was a good deal. The helmet is not Snell approved, though. That might lead to a bit of buyers remorse, but so far I like it all.

The jacket and pants have a lot of venting, so hopefully they will not be too hot in the summer. They are black, that does not help. But, I just could not buy the kakhi colored ware, the only other color they had. The black is slimming My ass looked too big in the Kakhi.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #340
beantop
Remember, Safty Forced

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Awesome!!! Looks like Zackers will be representing...look out Laural Fork!!!

It will be both of our First event...time to break in the Big GS's...See ya there Brother!!!
Quote:
Yes... Redintheshed is my brother in Chicago. He just bought his bike a in December. We have never road on the road together, so we are meeting at tis event for our first ride together.

Not sure how much road riding we will do tho...hopefully some good dirt roads& trails.

Awsome!!

Put some good dirt tires on

TKC-80 for maximum traction, but you'll pay for it in wear( I get about 3000 miles outa a rear tire)
heidenau K-60 Scout for best wear and traction combo.
I go for the 140/80-17 in the rear (not the 150/70-17), cause the center strip is not as pronounced in the 140 width
Hi Connie
Peaceful Valley MY ASS (Eddie Bolted)
beantop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #341
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantop View Post
Awsome!!

TKC-80 for maximum traction, but you'll pay for it in wear( I get about 3000 miles outa a rear tire)
I go for the 140/80-17 in the rear (not the 150/70-17), cause the center strip is not as pronounced in the 140 width
Beantop-

Thanks for the info on the tires...I put TKCs on mid November and then road with splitlaneslikemoses...holyshit I'm dangerous now. They are great for every surface and with that piece of mind, the 3k mileage on the back is worth it.

I think redintheshed will get some & carry them down & we will put them on when he gets there...

I was thinking of doing a review on the TKCs. I have about 2k on them and they look good, but if you stay 50/50 dirt to road, they give better wear. I think most people say they will do a lot more dirt than they actually do.

See ya in Laurel Fork...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #342
RedInTheShed
Jart

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantop View Post
Awsome!!

For the advice. I was wondering about tires. I need wonder no longer.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #343
beantop
Remember, Safty Forced

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Beantop-

Thanks for the info on the tires...I put TKCs on mid November and then road with splitlaneslikemoses...holyshit I'm dangerous now. They are great for every surface and with that piece of mind, the 3k mileage on the back is worth it.

I think redintheshed will get some & carry them down & we will put them on when he gets there...

I was thinking of doing a review on the TKCs. I have about 2k on them and they look good, but if you stay 50/50 dirt to road, they give better wear. I think most people say they will do a lot more dirt than they actually do.

See ya in Laurel Fork...
yepm he more dirt you do the more mileage you'll get out of them, Plus I run Mg GS pretty well loaded most of the tyme and I Have verry poor hand/foot tire coordination.. I am eigther on the right hand full force or on the foot (well left hand in case of the GS), No in between... I was putting over a thousound mile week ends there for a while and going through tires every other week or so...
Ouch!!!!! So I switched up to the heidenaus to lett my wallet cool off for a while, But if money was no object I go with TKC's every tyme hands down. Then When Winter hits I goto the street tyres cause most of the fire roads/trails I do convert to snowmobile trails and I Mainly stay to the blacktop...

Stick with Splittlanes and he won't stear you wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedInTheShed View Post
For the advice. I was wondering about tires. I need wonder no longer.

If your gonna do a good bit of black top to get to the dirt the Heidenaus will hold up well and do good when you get to the dirt, If you don't want to bother with carrying tires and changeing at LF.. If you don't mind lugging tires and changing them I'd go with The TKC's...
Hi Connie
Peaceful Valley MY ASS (Eddie Bolted)
beantop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #344
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
Quote:

with splitlaneslikemoses...holyshit I'm dangerous now.

I think redintheshed will get some & carry them down & we will put them on when he gets there...I think most people say they will do a lot more dirt than they actually do.

See ya in Laurel Fork...
We finally get some entertainment @ LF !!! Fourty poeple standing around drinking and watching someone change tires..... in the rain.... keep the cameras rolling.....

ecubed screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 12:36 PM
ecubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #345
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 231
2013 Laurel Fork Frolic

This area is so highly recommended. Spruce Knob (N38-42.084/W79-31.864), Smoke Hole (N38-58.218/W79-17.006), Dolly Sods (N39-03.260/W79-18.55), and FR 45/4 in Laneville (N38-59.854/W79-27.690) where DSs rule! Here's what I wrote about it:

The first half of the route to Spruce Knob follows the Laurel Fork rim of the Cheat River and offers spectacular views of the Laurel Fork Canyon. The second half follows Middle Mountain Ridge and has overlooks around almost every corner. After entering the Laurel Fork Wilderness Area, the route passes 4270-foot Yokum Knob, follows Narrow Ridge, and overlooks Spruce Knob Lake. The return route from Spruce Knob follows the Rails To Trails right of way on the East Fork of the Greenbrier River, runs along Shavers Mountain Ridge, and skirts the Otter Creek Wilderness Area. This is one of the most varied and scenic rides in West Virginia.

New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote