User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,394
Dual Sport boots......

.....are the O'Neal Elements too motorcross-y for dual sport use including street? Cycle Gear has them on sale.

Thanks. I always just wore work boots for dual sporting but after seeing a shattered ankle I think it's time for real protection. After all I always wear good street boots.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
.....are the O'Neal Elements too motorcross-y for dual sport use including street? Cycle Gear has them on sale.

Thanks. I always just wore work boots for dual sporting but after seeing a shattered ankle I think it's time for real protection. After all I always wear good street boots.
I've personally found motocross-oriented boots pretty uncomfortable for real dual-sporting. In order to get the stiffness of a MX boot, there are generally a lot of seams to deal with the stiffening material. This leads to very poor waterproofing. One only has to ride a day or two two with wet feet to understand that it sucks. I own two pair of MX boots, and only use them on local rides.

MX boots are near impossible to walk any distance in without getting blisters. Dual-sporting assumes that you may have to walk at times.

I wear a pair of Aerostich Combats, which I'm quite satisfied with, especially since I got them half-price. Many swear by the Gaerne Balance. I'm sure there are many others out there. As with most things, boot selection is a considered compromise. The really comfortable stuff doesn't offer much protection. The highly protective stuff is uncomfortable, and sacrifices other parts of your anatomy in a wreck. (You may not break your ankle or knee, but you'll end up with a tib-fib fracture instead.) You pay your money and take your pick. For me, I'll take a somewhat lighter boot and ride carefully.

I like having dry feet.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,601
Atomic-Moto has a good selection of dual sport and water proof dual sport boots. - Check with Brian Price.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/dual_sport_boots.html

http://www.atomic-moto.com/waterproo...cle_boots.html

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,126
When it's not going to rain, I wear my Sidi CrossFires when I'm riding.... onroad and off. I love the amount of support they provide.

I've owned a pair of combat touring boots from 'Stich (made by Sidi) and they're more comfortable.... but ONLY while seated.

If you're standing on your pegs, you really, really need a boot with a stiff sole that's not going to fold around the peg. If this happens, it'll create lots of pain in your feet.

If you're looking for ONE do-it-all boot, I would recommend the SIDI Discovery or Adventure Rains. Lots of protection, stiff sole, waterproof. I've never owned a pair but I've spoken with many folks who have worn them, I've seen them up close and they look like a great boot. My understanding is the only downside (besides SIDI's habit of making a squeaky boot) is that they're hot. This is understandable considering the waterproof factor.

Hope this helps.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
dual sport boots

Most of my dual sport riding is off road. My cross fires provide the best protection, but lack some flexibility on walking, so I take my chances. As far as water proof, they are not, but just carry an extra pair of socks as required, and all is well knowling that I have as much protection as possible.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
mhevezi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Well, I have tried on the O'Neal Element Boots, and I have to say, they were the most uncomfortable pair of boots I have ever worn. Most MX boots are designed for safety when riding/racing MX. For safety off-road- they are unbeatable, but that makes them tough for walking around, off the bike. Not that you can't, you just won't like it very much.

There are many boots on the market that are designed with safety on the bike, and are much more comfortable. Of course, there are compromises there, but I think you will be happier in the long run.

As an ex-motocross racer- leave the motocross boots for motocross.

Check out the:

Alpinstars Scout or the Gaerne G-Adventure Boots.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

So which model has more protection, especially in the ankle, the crossfire or adventure?

I have a pair of Sidi B-2's for general riding. I have a pair of Alpinestars SMX-R's track boots that were only worn a few times I'm going to sell. I seem to prefer the Sidi's.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
So which model has more protection, especially in the ankle, the crossfire or adventure?
I have the Sidi Crossfire TAs. - The Crossfire is a full on off-road/race boot and the Adventure is a dual sport boot. They both have a hinged ankle support. - Beware, the Crossfires have a tight toe box if you have wide feet.

Crossfire
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-ta-boots

Adventure
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...gore-tex-boots

...there is also a cheaper non- GoreTex Adventure.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ure-rain-boots
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
My $.02

I prefer to ride in my MX boots, street or dirt. I now have the Gaerne SG10 and previously an older version (made in Italy) Alpinestar Tech 8. All day comfortable and I don't mind walking in them. Probably not the best for a 10 mile hike but I'd wear em if I had to.

The Sidi Crossfire are also awesome, just to narrow for my wide feet.

I spent a month in Alaska where it rained for two weeks straight. A pair of Sealskin socks kept my feet dry. One other thought, boots with removable liners can be nice when riding in wet or humid weather. I would take the liners out of the Tech 8's when we were in Vietnam so they could dry overnight.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

The Sidi Adventure Rain looks like a great choice. Albeit 4x more expensive then the O'Neal's. I think I'm leaning towards the Sidi's.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
What about something in between, like the $250 Alpinestars Scout WP or Gaerne G-Adventure?

And aren't the Sidi Discovery Rains a little more MX-like protection compared to the Adventures? Is it just cosmetic?

Finally, if I was spending $400 on a pair of Sidi Adventure Rains, I'd probably spend the extra $100 and get the Gore-Tex version.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Hey RT, nice to see someone else from SBN here. Anyways I have a pair Alpinestars Scouts. I love them to death. They are very comfortable to walk and ride in and are genuinely waterproof. They also have a good tread when you have to hike up steep hills. They do have some plastic armor in them but you really can't tell where they hid the stuff.
freetors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
I've owned a pair of combat touring boots from 'Stich (made by Sidi) and they're more comfortable.... but ONLY while seated.

If you're standing on your pegs, you really, really need a boot with a stiff sole that's not going to fold around the peg. If this happens, it'll create lots of pain in your feet.
I haven't experienced this, and I stand a lot. I have, however gone to wide, cambered MSR pegs, which are well worth the biscuit on any DS bike. Particularly on the KLR, they offer far better control than the stockers.

I'm sure that they may have made some modifications to the sole design. My boots are a fairly recent generation. While not ski-boot rigid, the sole on the CTBs are pretty supportive.

I would not go with any boot that had a molded sole. Go with a replaceable sole boot. With a molded sole, you're limited to the life of the sole, which may only be a fraction of that of the boot.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
What about something in between, like the $250 Alpinestars Scout WP or Gaerne G-Adventure?

And aren't the Sidi Discovery Rains a little more MX-like protection compared to the Adventures? Is it just cosmetic?

Finally, if I was spending $400 on a pair of Sidi Adventure Rains, I'd probably spend the extra $100 and get the Gore-Tex version.
I like those Discovery Rain's!

Thanks!