Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Hey RT, nice to see someone else from SBN here. Anyways I have a pair Alpinestars Scouts. I love them to death. They are very comfortable to walk and ride in and are genuinely waterproof. They also have a good tread when you have to hike up steep hills. They do have some plastic armor in them but you really can't tell where they hid the stuff.
Hey.

I was considering those as well, but the Sidi's seem to fit me better.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I like those Discovery Rain's!

Thanks!

+1!
I have an 8 year old pair of Discovery's that are terrific boots!
They have been through a lot and are still holding up well, there is a small place on the left sole that rides on the peg and is wearing from the shifting motion but the great thing is I can get replacement soles for like $22 and take them to a good cobbler and get another 5+ years out of them easy!
Good boots are worth the money imo!

By the way I believe the Aerostich Combat boots are made by Sidi and are basically Discovery's with the speed laces instead of the buckles.

I thought Motostrano offered a discount but that is only on Wolfman luggage....that's good stuff too.

http://www.motostrano.com/product-p/...CzEAUg&click=2
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

I'm going to get a price on the Discovery Rain's on Saturday. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
The Sidi Adventure Rain looks like a great choice. Albeit 4x more expensive then the O'Neal's. I think I'm leaning towards the Sidi's.
If you're going that that level, you should also check out the BMW Santiago boots. I bought a pair of the Sidi Adventure Rain and returned them the next day. They were too stiff for my riding. Downshifting meant lifting my foot from the peg to mashing the shifter. They were uncomfortable to walk in and just too bulky when off the bike. The protection is awesome but they just were too far to the off-road bias for my uses.

The Santiago boots are a compromise that leans more to all around comfort. It is still stiffer than a street boot and has better protection than the All-Around boots I used before. They are stiff enough to stand on the pegs and are very waterproof and has good adjustments. They do not offer the same off-road protection as the Sidi but as was mentioned, it is all a compromise.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
If you're going that that level, you should also check out the BMW Santiago boots. I bought a pair of the Sidi Adventure Rain and returned them the next day. They were too stiff for my riding. Downshifting meant lifting my foot from the peg to mashing the shifter. They were uncomfortable to walk in and just too bulky when off the bike. The protection is awesome but they just were too far to the off-road bias for my uses.

The Santiago boots are a compromise that leans more to all around comfort. It is still stiffer than a street boot and has better protection than the All-Around boots I used before. They are stiff enough to stand on the pegs and are very waterproof and has good adjustments. They do not offer the same off-road protection as the Sidi but as was mentioned, it is all a compromise.
My Discovery's where never that stiff, that sounds like motocross boots and they are no where near as stiff as those. The protection level is good but there is only leather around the ankles so they will break in after a little time. I would'nt want to, because they are heavy compared to shoes, but i could walk a long way if necessary in my Discovery's.

But everyone has a different viewpoint, just like on bikes.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
My Discovery's where never that stiff, that sounds like motocross boots and they are no where near as stiff as those. The protection level is good but there is only leather around the ankles so they will break in after a little time. I would'nt want to, because they are heavy compared to shoes, but i could walk a long way if necessary in my Discovery's.

But everyone has a different viewpoint, just like on bikes.
The Discovery is quite similar to the BMW Santiago. It is the Adventure that has plastic at the ankles and that is what made them so difficult to use for my daily commute with an occasional off-road foray. You are right that everybody has different ideas of what works best. I thought the Adventure would be good enough for daily use and very good off road. I was wrong... at least for my use.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Spiff Spiffster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have the Sidi Adventure Goretex.

Great boot. Wore them around the house and about to break them in. Took only a couple days.I had to make a little adjustment to the shifter on the GSA and not a hitch or a missed shift after. Very comfortable to walk in. I have had them a season so far. I wore them in a daylong downpour and the only thing dry was my feet. Thats the good.

The bad is they squeak. Not a deal breaker but a generous amount of spray silicone quietens them. Riding on the pegs can be tiring for an all day affair. I don't usually. Maybe a half hour at a time. Very tolerable for my style. Note these are the stock GSA metal foot pegs, so for other rubber covered pegs this may not be an issue at all. The biggest drawback is the price. I live in eastern Canada and the cheapest I could find was buying them in Germany. I could not find anyone in Canada with stock and the american companys wanted to ship via UPS. That means brokerage fees plus the shipping. It was cheaper for me to go to the fatherland. I normally wear a 10 1/2 shoe size. I ordered the 45's. Fit like a glove..........or a boot in this case.

I would by them again.

Spiff Spiffster screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 01:04 PM Reason: speeling
Spiff Spiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I haven't experienced this, and I stand a lot. I have, however gone to wide, cambered MSR pegs, which are well worth the biscuit on any DS bike. Particularly on the KLR, they offer far better control than the stockers.

I'm sure that they may have made some modifications to the sole design. My boots are a fairly recent generation. While not ski-boot rigid, the sole on the CTBs are pretty supportive.

I would not go with any boot that had a molded sole. Go with a replaceable sole boot. With a molded sole, you're limited to the life of the sole, which may only be a fraction of that of the boot.
Yeah, my CBT's are late 90's vintage. They should probably be replaced but I can't bring myself to do it - they were an anniversary present.

Glad you haven't experienced foot pain... It hurts!
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Anybody have any thoughts on the Gaerne GX-1 boots? I can get them cheap. The Sidi Discovery Rain's are going to be about $285 OTD. The GX-1's are probably going to be under $160.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,191
Ain't that the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
I have the Sidi Crossfire TAs. - The Crossfire is a full on off-road/race boot and the Adventure is a dual sport boot. They both have a hinged ankle support. - Beware, the Crossfires have a tight toe box if you have wide feet.

Crossfire
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-ta-boots

Adventure
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...gore-tex-boots

...there is also a cheaper non- GoreTex Adventure.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ure-rain-boots
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #26
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
The Sidi Discovery Rain's are going to be about $285 OTD.

Got link? Seems like $350 is the average.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,525
[QUOTE=Blur;20015065]Yeah, my CBT's are late 90's vintage. They should probably be replaced but I can't bring myself to do it - they were an anniversary present.

Trust me, I've experienced all kinds of foot pain. I also have knees that I sacrificed to the Appalachian Trail as a crewman some years ago. Comfort on a bike is a large issue for me. I like my KLR because it doesn't stress the broken bits, and allows me to get into the woods and ride the roads. I swallow quite a bit of Vitamin I before the average ride. Good pegs and good boots were a great investment.

One has to recognize that the bike is only a part of the equation, and can be only a small part of the cost. In order to ride comfortably and safely, good gear is essential. I used to wear work boots on the bike. Once I tried boots designed for the job, there was no going back.

$400 may seem high for footgear. It's cheap compared to surgery.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 05:59 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Got link? Seems like $350 is the average.
Sorry about that. Yes, $350 is retail. My apologies for dangling my insider pricing out there.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #29
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
[QUOTE=Canuman;20016449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Yeah, my CBT's are late 90's vintage. They should probably be replaced but I can't bring myself to do it - they were an anniversary present.

Trust me, I've experienced all kinds of foot pain. I also have knees that I sacrificed to the Appalachian Trail as a crewman some years ago. Comfort on a bike is a large issue for me. I like my KLR because it doesn't stress the broken bits, and allows me to get into the woods and ride the roads. I swallow quite a bit of Vitamin I before the average ride. Good pegs and good boots were a great investment.

One has to recognize that the bike is only a part of the equation, and can be only a small part of the cost. In order to ride comfortably and safely, good gear is essential. I used to wear work boots on the bike. Once I tried boots designed for the job, there was no going back.

$400 may seem high for footgear. It's cheap compared to surgery.
I meant I'm glad you haven't experienced foot pain via a weak pair of riding boots folding over the peg.

..... sigh ....
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #30
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I wear crosser boots for my riding, I don't mind if they aren't waterproof as I'll more than likely be water crossing during the rides.
I've seen the Sidi Adventures be so waterproof that the boot in essence becomes a bucket and the water can't escape if the level is over the cuff.
For dry(ish) feet I supplement with a pair of Sealskin socks, a marvellous piece of kit.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote