Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #31
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
I wear crosser boots for my riding, I don't mind if they aren't waterproof as I'll more than likely be water crossing during the rides.
I've seen the Sidi Adventures be so waterproof that the boot in essence becomes a bucket and the water can't escape if the level is over the cuff.
For dry(ish) feet I supplement with a pair of Sealskin socks, a marvellous piece of kit.
I've been looking for a pair of Berghaus Yeti gaiters to use with my boots. I had a pair back in the '80's that I wore with my hiking boots. They made a very waterproof combo -- I could step in deep puddles and stay dry. Unfortunately, after 20 years, the darn things wore out and are apparently no longer available here in the US. They were very expensive even then, which is likely part of the reason they are no longer available.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 03:29 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #32
killergasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
TCX makes a couple of pairs that I own and love. The Infinity adv boots are really comfortable all day boots and are full on Gore tex waterproof. They lack some of the protection a full on mx boot has, so I started wearing TCX Pro2 boots on the street. They aren't waterproof, but after a 2 hour beer/snoseal session I can stand in puddles with no water issues. The last long trip(3000 miles mostly dirt roads and various crappier surfaces) I wore the Pro2s. They are heavier, but I put them on in the AM and took them off at dark every night with no complaints. They seem to walk better than my old Sidi and Tech8s. Hell, I wore them on the plane to beat the overweight bag issue! They are a bootie boots, which I initially didn't like, but after buying a second pair of liners to switch out every other day, and always having "slippers" for a late night slash, I've decided I'm not going back.

Use as you see fit.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,378
My supplier is having a hard time getting the Sidi's, so I'm going with the Gaerne GX-1's.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
My supplier is having a hard time getting the Sidi's, so I'm going with the Gaerne GX-1's.
Post your impressions, as I was looking into these as well!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #35
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg326 View Post
Post your impressions, as I was looking into these as well!
I will!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
SaltyDuddde
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Is full length boots necessary?

Hi,

I'm also looking for a pair of boot for DS riding. Riding + Camping kinda trips, nothing hardcore.
Just wondering if a 3/4 boot with shin/knee guards sufficient?

Anydody can enlighten me with the Pro/Cons of a full length vs 3/4 boots?

Cheers
SaltyDuddde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #37
Spalato
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Dainese Visoke D-wp

Bought theese boots from Dainese last year great DS boots.
Spalato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Sidi rocks

+1 for the Sidi Adventure Gortex. In the last year I've worn mine in 100F heat, as of today a 17F commute, and a two day downpour in MN. Other than the well documented squeakiness, which some silicon spray reduced, I've had no reason to wish for anything else in a boot.
VincitOmnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Initial impressions with the Gaerne's:

Love the fit and quality. Look like they would survive deep into the zombie apocalypse. I've never ridden motorcross so this style boot is taking some getting used to. I only wore them once for one short ride and I was having a hard time shifting correctly as there isn't much feel. Same for rear braking. I'm guessing that will come with breaking in and more familiarity?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #40
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 749
Quote:

Love the fit and quality. Look like they would survive deep into the zombie apocalypse. I've never ridden motorcross so this style boot is taking some getting used to. I only wore them once for one short ride and I was having a hard time shifting correctly as there isn't much feel. Same for rear braking. I'm guessing that will come with breaking in and more familiarity?
You will get used to the big boots, though you may need to adjust shifter or brake pedal a little bit. I love my GX1s, especially considering the price.

They will never be a fun boot to commute or prance around the coffee shop in, but I'm a believer in serious ankle protection after seeing what can happen when a moto lands on your leg...
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #41
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
The new Alpine star Toucan boots look like a good option.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #42
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
You will get used to the big boots, though you may need to adjust shifter or brake pedal a little bit. I love my GX1s, especially considering the price.

They will never be a fun boot to commute or prance around the coffee shop in, but I'm a believer in serious ankle protection after seeing what can happen when a moto lands on your leg...
Thanks. My left ankle has never recovered from my near fatal street crash in June, 2011 so protection is high on my list.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #43
Mosanator
DR dropper!

Oddometer: 20
The GX1's are now available in an Enduro sole in Europe at least.

Makes it a much better boot for the DS purposes.
Mosanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #44
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Thumb

My Sidi Dicovery Rain Boots kept me dry in weeks of rain in Ecuador last year. Broke them in walking around the house each day for about an hour at at at a time for a week. Easy to walk in. Not as much protection as my Sidi Crossfires, how ever I do a different type of riding in each boot. The Discovery is a wider more relaxing boot than the Crossfire, which you most definetely have to order a half size larger.
atravlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #45
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post

I bought Gaerne Oiled Balance boots a year ago, and had to adjust the shifter before I could ride with them. Either I got used to the increased stiffness, or the boots softened up quickly as they broke in. Anyway, they feel just right now.

Amazing boots, so glad I bought them.