Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #31
Jeff49783
Private ASEL

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traq
The pants aren't really designed to be overpants. I just bought mine today and went out in a t-shirt and boxers underneath. It was only 65-70 and I damn near froze. Can't wait to try it in the heat.
FWIW, I'm using the Santiago jacket with the Venting Machine pants. The Santiago flows well, but for anything in the South/Southeast (humid) I would recommend the Venting Machine jacket over the Santiago.

Good Luck

gone - 2008 Bandit 1250 ABS, 2006 XT225, 1995 K75RT, 2005 F650GS, 2005 R1200GS, 2003 R1150RT, 2001 R1100RS
Jeff49783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #32
peterb
Long Distance Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
VM Pants

please tell me about the armor in the knees of the VM pants. I am currently wearing a mesh pant by Alpinestars [a gift], and these are so poorly designed the knee pads ride up to my thighs - if I ever 'needed' them I would have to pull them down over the knees in mid-flight...

So, how do the knee pad ride - down over the knees or do the continually ride up as one sits longer and longer on his steed?

thanks.

2000 BMW 1150 GS with >165k miles and more to come...

2007 BMW R1200RT - new 4/08 with >145K smiles ...
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #33
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
$ 700!!!
That thing better have Auto-suck included.
I hate the BMW prices too but it is good stuff. I was in a hiking store and Seattle and saw wind breakers for $475.
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #34
TxTraveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb
please tell me about the armor in the knees of the VM pants. I am currently wearing a mesh pant by Alpinestars [a gift], and these are so poorly designed the knee pads ride up to my thighs - if I ever 'needed' them I would have to pull them down over the knees in mid-flight...

So, how do the knee pad ride - down over the knees or do the continually ride up as one sits longer and longer on his steed?

thanks.

The position of the knee armor in the VM pants is adjustable (3 positions). The armor stays in place (covering the knees) while riding, but is not obtrusive when off the bike walking around.

Highly recommend - by far my favorite pair of riding pants.
TxTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #35
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,543
Any way to compare the pants to the First Gear Mesh Tex pants? I've worn those in the summer, with the addition of the CoreComp armor, and they seem pretty decent.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #36
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 834
+1

I just saw this thread and thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
Got a pair of the VM pants about a month ago.
Been riding all around Mexico with them.
I can honestly say that they are the best hot weather pants I have ever had.
You really do not get hot in them and you hardly notice that you are sweating. (That's on a 100 degree plus day)
Once you get past the initial sticker shock (price) they are great.
I really would like to get the jacket also. But I have enough jackets to last me a lifetime.

Ride Safe,
Vettster
MysteryRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #37
moto leo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Do the VM pants or jacket come with any kind of liner for rain? What do you guys do if you get caught in a downpour with these suits?

I have the First Gear mesh overpants and they come with a removable zipout goretx liner. Ditto on my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.
moto leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #38
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,097
It's been over a month now with VM jacket (and occasionally the Santiago pants) and I'm in agreement, there's nothing better that I've found. I've retired the Firstgear mesh jacket, first because the VM jacket is that much better and secondly, it's less likely to melt on pavement as others on Advrider have already mentioned.

As to liner, no. I'll carry rain gear to go over the jacket and pants, but that has limits though. You don't want to ride in temps under 60 degrees F. Get's a little chilly at the beach at night....

Harry Swan screwed with this post 07-11-2006 at 05:24 PM
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #39
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 570
If only the Venting Jacket came in a lighter color, say silver for example. Otherwise I think its an excellent jacket. Since I wanted a good jacket in a lighter color, I opted for the Rev-it Air Force instead.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #40
redriveral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyaC
I have the Airflow 2 suit and really like it, but it does get hot.

How does the new vent suit compare to the Airflow2 anyone venture a guess?
I have both suits the venting suit is cooler in hot humid weather

redriveral
1150gs 02
65000 mi
redriveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #41
ArbyNav
Boxer Fan

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto leo
Do the VM pants or jacket come with any kind of liner for rain? What do you guys do if you get caught in a downpour with these suits?

I have the First Gear mesh overpants and they come with a removable zipout goretx liner. Ditto on my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.
There's no liner with them. BMW does have a one peice pull on rain gear that looks pretty good (I already had another two peice, else I'd spring for it)

I am extremely happy with my VM outfit. My wish for improvement would be if they could use the coating advertised for some of the black leather jackets (to reflect the heat) on this. At a stop, the black does pick up heat.
ArbyNav
ArbyNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #42
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,366
Venting Machine

Soooo, from what everyone is saying the VM might be too cool below, say, 65F. What if a guy had a nice Aerostitch Windblock Jersey #1859 underneath for, say, a 10 day late August trip through the Canadian Rockies, to take the chill off those Rocky Mountain mornings? Would that be enough to make for all the kinds of weather? (Adding a rain jacket for those occasional showers)?

Old 07-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #43
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineFart
If only the Venting Jacket came in a lighter color, say silver for example. Otherwise I think its an excellent jacket. Since I wanted a good jacket in a lighter color, I opted for the Rev-it Air Force instead.
SW:
So what do you like best about the Rev-It AF? My buddy has one he just got and I'm hoping to have a look at it.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #44
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
SW:
So what do you like best about the Rev-It AF? My buddy has one he just got and I'm hoping to have a look at it.
I like the fit. I'm a 38 in the chest and I bought the 48 Euro size which translated into 38 US size. It fits perfectly which keeps the armor in position against the body yet allows comfortable motion of the arms. Construction and materials equals BMW's.

I bought the silver color which should prove cooler particularly in slow traffic. A nice water resistant snap-in liner is included which makes the jacket more versatile. An internal rear pocket is include in which the liner can be stowed.

The armor in the arms and shoulder is excellent, however the back armor is little more than light foam. I replaced this with a CE back pad. I would buy it again.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #45
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineFart
I like the fit. I'm a 38 in the chest and I bought the 48 Euro size which translated into 38 US size. It fits perfectly which keeps the armor in position against the body yet allows comfortable motion of the arms. Construction and materials equals BMW's.

I bought the silver color which should prove cooler particularly in slow traffic. A nice water resistant snap-in liner is included which makes the jacket more versatile. An internal rear pocket is include in which the liner can be stowed.

The armor in the arms and shoulder is excellent, however the back armor is little more than light foam. I replaced this with a CE back pad. I would buy it again.
Tried Ofrogg's Rev'It Air Force on last night. Very nice. Good armour in elbows that extends forward to the forearm, good shoulder armour. Yeah, the back is a little on the thin side. If I'm gonna wear mesh, I want some armour and am going high end (revit, BMW) for that reason. His was a 52Euro, a little too tight. I wear a US 44 jacket so the 54 might work a little better. Still thinkin' about the BMW Venting Machine as everyone seems to rave about it and there isn't much of an issue with quality.