Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #46
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Soooo, from what everyone is saying the VM might be too cool below, say, 65F. What if a guy had a nice Aerostitch Windblock Jersey #1859 underneath for, say, a 10 day late August trip through the Canadian Rockies ...
There is a fine line with the Venting Machine gear ... I wouldn't do it although I think the jersey is a good idea. I just ordered one for a trip to Washington next week. But then I wouldn't take a VM jacket as my main jacket for a Canadian Rockies trip. I'd take my Darien or maybe a Santiago outfit, Rev-it or the like that does come with a liner.
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #47
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
There is a fine line with the Venting Machine gear ... I wouldn't do it although I think the jersey is a good idea. I just ordered one for a trip to Washington next week. But then I wouldn't take a VM jacket as my main jacket for a Canadian Rockies trip. I'd take my Darien or maybe a Santiago outfit, Rev-it or the like that does come with a liner.
Thanks, Harry.
I own a Belstaff Discovery Jacket, a robust do it all jacket, which has back, arm, chest zips that can be utilized when the liner is out. It was my first jacket, and is still one of the best investments. But its a 3 season, meaning spring fall winter. My summer jacket is a Belstaff Zodiac, much lighter, good zips for flow through. Still too hot. I'm planning to take outer rain gear, eliminating the need for a waterproof liner for the VM and which is quicker on and quicker off and can work as a cold morning outer layer.

Still, the way things are looking, IMHO, this hot weather all over the country will make for hot riding for 9-10 days if I don't have something like the VM. Of course, I'm trying to figure out the best arrangement that takes up the least room. Money is also a factor, as I'm beginning to outfit my R1150R for touring and then there's the cost of the trip itself (motel, gas, vittles).

Always sumpin'
Old 07-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #48
Harry Swan
One more time

My VM is a nice close fitting jacket. Very little room to put a warm layer under the jacket which when the temps go down you will want. Think snow in August at Athabasca Glacier and on another trip to Jasper NP stopping at Bow Lake for some hot chocolate to warm up a little bit with snow actually sticking on the side of the road ... in July. My preference is the Darien with a nice Windblock liner just for those occasions. Now other than wandering the Rockies, I think the idea of the Jersey and VM is a good one. Good luck with the choice and enjoy the trip.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #49
DirtRiderwjc2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I just picked up my VM jacket on Thursday, rode with for 200 miles on Friday in 90F temps. The jacket is much cooler than my 3 season spidi jacket. I like the the fit and the armor. Only con so far the collar rubs my neck a little not too bad.

I rode today to work, it was close to 60F so I put an a long sleeve thermal, you can really tell how air this jacket moves in cooler temps.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #50
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 772
I solved this problem.

Quote:
My VM is a nice close fitting jacket. Very little room to put a warm layer under the jacket which when the temps go down you will want. Think snow in August at Athabasca Glacier and on another trip to Jasper NP stopping at Bow Lake for some hot chocolate to warm up a little bit with snow actually sticking on the side of the road ... in July. My preference is the Darien with a nice Windblock liner just for those occasions. Now other than wandering the Rockies, I think the idea of the Jersey and VM is a good one. Good luck with the choice and enjoy the trip.
I solved this problem with a mesh jacket that I have.
When it gets too cold, I have a heavier rain suit that I put on over the jacket.
Works for me.

Ride Safe,
Vettster
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 AM   #51
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRiderwjc2000
... Only con so far the collar rubs my neck a little not too bad.
I have the same problem. My wife has some black suede leather that she'll glue onto the collar. She did that on my Darien jacket years ago and I've not thought about it since.

Vettster, I agree a rain jacket will seal the cool air out of your torso but when the temperatures really drop you will want another warmer layer. Riding in the Canadian Rocky Mountains will no doubt be one of those times and there's little room under the jacket for one.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #52
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
I have the same problem. My wife has some black suede leather that she'll glue onto the collar. She did that on my Darien jacket years ago and I've not thought about it since.

Vettster, I agree a rain jacket will seal the cool air out of your torso but when the temperatures really drop you will want another warmer layer. Riding in the Canadian Rocky Mountains will no doubt be one of those times and there's little room under the jacket for one.
Good idea. That collar is a little stiff, could get annoying on a long ride.

I tried on a VM in a 54 euro, translates to a 44 US which is my jacket size and it fit really well, comfortable, "safe" feeling. Still, with a polypro longsleeved turtleneck under it, perhaps even my Widder electric vest (I got that one to fit tight, per mfg recommendations) and a sealed, waterproof jacket, I can't imagine that that wouldn't take care of the cold mornings. I'm planning to use this for summer trips and have a Belstaff Discovery for everything else.

I'm gonna try that size 54 on and take my Widder just to see how it all fits. If that works, I'd rather do that than drag along the Belstaff just for those cold mornings.

Wonder if Canada has been having the same record heat we are having down in the Colorado Rockies... where even a midday ride up to 10,000 feet is WARM ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Pass_(Colorado)
Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #53
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
I tried on a VM in a 54 euro, translates to a 44 US which is my jacket size and it fit really well, comfortable, "safe" feeling. Still, with a polypro longsleeved turtleneck under it, perhaps even my Widder electric vest
FWIW. I wear a (US) 48 jacket, VM size is 60R (their US 50) and, yes, I can get away with a Widder vest under it. But ... the sleeves are too tight for anything other than a T-shirt. BTW, it's 94 outside and I'm donning a vest and jacket. My wife looks worried.
Quote:
Wonder if Canada has been having the same record heat we are having down in the Colorado Rockies...
I just checked the CBC site. It looks like the temps in Calgary this week will be in the low 80's and dropping into the mid 50's. Banff and Jasper are mid 70's and low 50's. From my experience, then yes, they are getting some of our heat!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #54
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazz
the new BMW Venting Machine suit ($$$)
I have to admit, they did it right....
I just took a Venting Machine in my size (54euro) out for a spin in the 97 degree weather that seems to be the summer norm now, on Colorado's front range. My dealer said gimme your card and go test it out. Wow, it was noticeable the minute I walked out the dealership door. And once I got moving, it was pretty clear this is as good a venting jacket as you're gonna find, IMHO. As others have pointed out the "polymid" material is very stiff, which is especially noticeable in the cuffs and the neck. The arms fit pretty close, keeping the armor where it needs to be. This stiff material instills a lot more confidence than other mesh wear I've looked at. And the reflective threaded areas mean it will stand out at night.

But the one thing that struck me the most was the back pad. Large enough and substantial enough to give a pretty secure feeling. It is a hard/soft combo... a relatively hard layer with a softer foam layer. No real goo-gaws, just 2 pockets. I put my Widder vest on underneath to check that out as an option to keep some warmth in and it fit nice and snug.

I'm really liking this jacket, and it complements my Belstaff Discovery and Zodiac to give me a full range. It's just that damned BMW price Eeek is right.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #55
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,278
I haven't got the money for a Venting Machine, so I spent 99 on a Lookwell Aerodynamic mesh jacket...

Granted, it probably won't be as safe as my Stadler, but in the humid heat of Amsterdam it's way better than the T-shirts I see people riding in...
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #56
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,118
Spacewife bought the VM set last week, got lucky with an older discounted jacket in Red. We rode home in the heat last Saturday and she loved it. My old Cortech is starting to unravel and her pants looked more comfortable so I bought a set today. I'm sold, have done the Joe Rocket mesh and the Cortech now with almost three years on it, this one is much better, but pricey. I guess you get what you pay for.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #57
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
I just took a Venting Machine in my size (54euro) out for a spin in the 97 degree weather that seems to be the summer norm now, on Colorado's front range. My dealer said gimme your card and go test it out. Wow, it was noticeable the minute I walked out the dealership door. And once I got moving, it was pretty clear this is as good a venting jacket as you're gonna find, IMHO. As others have pointed out the "polymid" material is very stiff, which is especially noticeable in the cuffs and the neck. The arms fit pretty close, keeping the armor where it needs to be. This stiff material instills a lot more confidence than other mesh wear I've looked at. And the reflective threaded areas mean it will stand out at night.

But the one thing that struck me the most was the back pad. Large enough and substantial enough to give a pretty secure feeling. It is a hard/soft combo... a relatively hard layer with a softer foam layer. No real goo-gaws, just 2 pockets. I put my Widder vest on underneath to check that out as an option to keep some warmth in and it fit nice and snug.

I'm really liking this jacket, and it complements my Belstaff Discovery and Zodiac to give me a full range. It's just that damned BMW price Eeek is right.
I bought an Olympia Airglide 2. $179 which means I could have bought 2 of these and a T-shirt for the price of a Venting Machine, which I really wanted. However, the Airglide includes a waterproof, thermal liner and I really needed it on the inagural ride around the Colorado Rockies. I dunno what I was thinking. I did the Colorado Beemers 100,000 Foot ride over several passes and it got pretty cold. It got warm, too, on a couple of legs of the trip on to the high plains around Walden. Only then did I open up the liner to let a little air in. With the liner removed it is pretty breezy and it is well designed. Going over Berthoud Pass right at sunset, with the air heavy with moisture, was right about at my limit. I only had a short sleeved polypro t-shirt on and, if it hadn't been getting dark, I would have donned my Widder vest. Good purchase, though. Oughta work for a planned trip to the Canadian Rockies in a couple weeks.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #58
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
BTW, for those of you not yet 50, DRE is the acronym for Digital Rectal Exam. It's the same thing as paying your taxes....
No it isn't. At the end of a DRE you still have your ass. - Lee
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #59
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Eh? Sweaty Summer rides...

I'm SO guilty of wearing nothing under my perf Hein Gericke pant/jacket.

(Think of cold air on your nipples...)

That said..this is one expensive replacement!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #60
Andrzej
aka Statking

Oddometer: 243
I am trying to find out what Euro size (or the us jacket size 42R etc)would correspond to 34 waist size w/32 inseam in the Venting Machine pants. If you wear 34/32 pants and own VM, could you post the appopriate size to order. I am getting a bit of conflicting info from conversion charts etc.

Thanks,

Andrew