Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #31
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I was surprised when I was told Gas Gas only lasts 6 months when used hard, but as the info came from an ex factory rider, and I know supported riders are all getting 2-3 bikes a year, I have no reason to doubt what I was told. This is really all down to cost though, as its probably much cheaper for the importer to provide a new bike, rather than all the parts to keep something thats badly worn hanging on for a bit longer.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I was surprised when I was told Gas Gas only lasts 6 months when used hard, but as the info came from an ex factory rider, and I know supported riders are all getting 2-3 bikes a year, I have no reason to doubt what I was told. This is really all down to cost though, as its probably much cheaper for the importer to provide a new bike, rather than all the parts to keep something thats badly worn hanging on for a bit longer.
10K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #33
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 590
Definition of "worn"...

Friends who have ridden ISDE say that a new bike is pretty old at the end of a week. Probably a bad purchase even for a mechanic.

On the other hand, there's the kid's 07GG300, in weekly use for five years, forty expert trials, three Ute Cups. One piston, and in generally pretty rattly condition. But still in weekly use, waiting for budgets to fill.

And mine, 09GG280, weekly use for four years, forty trials int/adv, four Ute Cups. New piston but probably didn't need it, a little slack in the joints, but no apparent need of replacement.

We run barkbusters, which cuts down on broken bits when they get skyed out. We run duct tape awhile before we replace plastic. We run Dexron III, but that's another thread....

We're going riding at 1PM....
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,476
Well, I guess I'd rather have a superbly effective efficient new GG, or any other new modern make, that I get to replace every 6 months, versus some old HOS vintage bike that had shitty brakes, lousy clutches and weighed a ton when they were new, that I'd be stuck with forever because they don't wear out.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #35
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Strangely enough with the exception of Honda, no modern bike is particularly well designed or made, if the end user isnt likely to be competing in the WTC, and doesnt have a large budget for replacement parts!
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #36
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Strangely enough with the exception of Honda, no modern bike is particularly well designed or made, if the end user isnt likely to be competing in the WTC, and doesnt have a large budget for replacement parts!
Seriously? LMFAO at that one.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #37
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,476
It's ok, TS has been off his meds.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #38
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
That`s funny. We have a family. dad and two son`s all on 4rt`s. Our event in august at Taos ski valley took out two of the three honda`s. The only only other bike that dnfed was a brand new gasser with a formula clutch problem. Granted the 4rt`s have been ridden, but two out of three was entertaining. It was the father that first broke his bike, borrowed the bike of the son that was the trialsmaster. It stopped within a loop, and then borrowed his son`s that had already finished. He was dnfed for changing bikes.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
That`s funny. We have a family. dad and two son`s all on 4rt`s. Our event in august at Taos ski valley took out two of the three honda`s. The only only other bike that dnfed was a brand new gasser with a formula clutch problem. Granted the 4rt`s have been ridden, but two out of three was entertaining. It was the father that first broke his bike, borrowed the bike of the son that was the trialsmaster. It stopped within a loop, and then borrowed his son`s that had already finished. He was dnfed for changing bikes.
Not taking TS's side but just to defend my beloved 4RT here a little Bob... to be fair, that 'family' beat the living tar out of those bikes with virtually no maintenance whatsoever for many years riding them almost every day and beating them hard and now that they finally broke you blame it on the bike? How long do you think a ShercoGasGasBeta would have lasted in the same family...to be fair!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Come on Curtis, they had a gasser make it more than six months! Twinshock is right, if they were riding TL250`s they would just keep on runnin`.

I did say they were ridden, I left out `TO DEATH`.

lineaway screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 08:46 AM
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #41
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Come on Curtis, they had a gasser make it more than six months! Twinshock is right, if they were riding TL250`s they would just keep on runnin`.

I did say they were ridden, I left out `TO DEATH`.
Vintage bikes Rock. ITSA Blast

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

We looking at May for the 1st event? I need too make a new ride if we are bumpin` up the A line this year!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #43
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
We looking at May for the 1st event? I need too make a new ride if we are bumpin` up the A line this year!
Looks like the first event will be at SY in April. Will know for sure once the NMTA & RMTA release their schedules.
And yes the A line will be bumped up a bit. Chris will be TM so you know what TO EXPECT! The B & C lines should stay about the same.

Will post the MWVTA scheduled soon.

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #44
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Great! We`ll make sure Chris has plenty of `Help`. I need to move up to some `REAL` twinshock power instead of a tired 172.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #45
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Great! We`ll make sure Chris has plenty of `Help`. I need to move up to some `REAL` twinshock power instead of a tired 172.
Thanks Bob. I'll make sure that my 4RT will be up to the task of setting a Trial. You know how fragile these things are.....
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote