User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
adam71 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
advice for truing a spoked gs front wheel

I have a 2007 R1200GS with spoked wheels.

I've recently noticed a vibration in my handlebars when I am riding at about 25-30 mph. I put the bike on a pit bull front wheel fork stand, spun the wheel, and could see there is about a quarter inch side to side movement, as well as a small hop.

I live in the East Bay Area (CA), and would like advice regarding wheel truing services in the area. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

(In a perfect world, I would be able to ride the bike into a shop for the service, instead of having to remove the wheel and ship it out...)

Thanks in advance!!
Adam
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Looks like a job for Woody.

Save your time and ship them both out for a rework. I ended up spending a good bit with shipping and all but my GSA wheels were nearly square.
Woody's Wheel Works he's got a question thread over in the vendors section.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,941
Here's Woody...

The someone you're looking for's first name is WOODY.

You can find him here: (in Vendors)
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

or here:
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm

or here:
2226 South Jason
Street Denver, CO 80223
(303) 936-0232
(866) 936-0232 Toll Free
(303) 936-1992 Fax

woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

or PM him at: woody's wheel works
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
adam71 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the quick responses

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I've heard nothing but great things about Woody's. (Also heard about Buchanon's down in LA)

I was hoping to find someone local, but like anything else...do it right the first time and get on with it. I'll be talking with Woody's.

Thanks again,
Adam
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
You might want to ask Gerry at GP Frame and Wheel in Napa. I don't know if he does spokes but he did a killer job on my racebike rims after I crashed out. Good guy quality work.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
adam71 OP
Adventurer

Thanks, I will check into GP Frame and Wheel.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
here....

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/OGSWTTv10.pdf

but apparently it's all bullshit because I made a comment once about truing my own wheels and was immediately reminded by everyone that only Woody can true BMW wheels... yep.... ain't nobody else in the whole world should dare to try, cause nobody else has a chance of getting a useable wheel. contact Woody or else.... yep, even BMW can barely make one work. all said, Woody apparently does good work (and BTW he ain't the guy making the noise)
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
First, you need to check the inside tire bead with the tire off when checking for trueness (sp?) on these wheels. Also, per BMW the area on each side of the weld (something like 45 degrees) should not be measured.

Woody is the master and Buchann's also. Not sure if Buchann's is still doing it though.

FWIW, I sent my front wheel to Woody for truing cause it looked tweaked. Woody called to say it was within factory specs and did not need to be trued. Did I want him to send it back? Or, for a couple of bucks he can fill in the weld area and make the wheel true for its full circumference. I went that route and it was well worth the money. Really helps to eliminate vibration in the bars, even with a knobby IMHO.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Of course anyone can true a BMW wheel - simple - a few grub screws loosened - nipple wrench - indicator and you are off and running.

The question is how well you can true them or if you can get them straight at all!

The BMW rims are notoriously difficult to true and some might say almost impossible without a proper jig. Due to the unorthodox design.

One can "true" or straighten a standard rim due to its design - with the spokes.... The BMW rims to be properly straightened need to be disassembled - then straightened with a large press and surface plate - then re-laced and tightened to spec on a purpose built jig... Have you seen pics of the jig? It is huge.

Which is what Woody has. Along with a multitude of experience and talent in his shop.

I routinely tear down my engines, build up race bikes, fabricate my frames and ports and etc etc etc... but once I researched the damn BMW rims and the process involved (and despite my pride which is vast + my vanity) I said not even worth a try. I think what all the posts have said in this forum - is truing yourself is just not worth the downtime and hassle and potential of having to send them out anyway.

Woody and his staff are your men.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
adam71 OP
Adventurer

Thank you, guys. Woody's it is. I appreciate all the advice!!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam71 View Post
Thank you, guys. Woody's it is. I appreciate all the advice!!
Just make sure you don't send them just before a big rallye, ie BMW MOA. Doh, took quite a bit to get my wheels back!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Woody's is the only one, even Buchann's will not do a BMW wheel.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
First, you need to check the inside tire bead with the tire off when checking for trueness (sp?) on these wheels. Also, per BMW the area on each side of the weld (something like 45 degrees) should not be measured.

Woody is the master and Buchann's also. Not sure if Buchann's is still doing it though.

FWIW, I sent my front wheel to Woody for truing cause it looked tweaked. Woody called to say it was within factory specs and did not need to be trued. Did I want him to send it back? Or, for a couple of bucks he can fill in the weld area and make the wheel true for its full circumference. I went that route and it was well worth the money. Really helps to eliminate vibration in the bars, even with a knobby IMHO.
This is interesting. Significantly reduced vibration? I'm new to my high mile GS and am suprised at the hand numbing vibration I get on long trips. Somehow I expected the boxer motor to be smoother. Is this a possible reduction method? And if so how much? We are all on budgets....
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by (I^2)R/746 View Post
This is interesting. Significantly reduced vibration? I'm new to my high mile GS and am suprised at the hand numbing vibration I get on long trips. Somehow I expected the boxer motor to be smoother. Is this a possible reduction method? And if so how much? We are all on budgets....
There is an area on the rim where the rim is welded together that is out-of-round when compared with the rest of the wheel. The tire bead sits on this and will follow the shape of the rim. Woody will fill this area in and then grind the area so the circumference of the rim where the tire sits is concentric all the way around. Don't remember the price but it wasn't much IIRC.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
There is an area on the rim where the rim is welded together that is out-of-round when compared with the rest of the wheel. The tire bead sits on this and will follow the shape of the rim. Woody will fill this area in and then grind the area so the circumference of the rim where the tire sits is concentric all the way around. Don't remember the price but it wasn't much IIRC.
Thanks! I checked his site out looks like he fixes spokes as well. Mine aren't broken but the PO was less than stellar on cleaning and they are rusted to hell (WTF was BMW thinking here anyway? Stainless please....). Anyways I'll give him a ring and see about doing a relace and balance. Might just be the trick to get rid of that numbness in my hands halfway through the tank.