User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
rdhj OP
NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 191
Battery Questions

Noticed my 2008 KLR650 battery seems to be getting weak...figuring I may need a new one I pull it out of the bike to discover all the cells but one are almost empty and this isnt the first time I found them low or really low..what causes the water to disappear? Any way to stop it? Suggestions?

Also, are the requirements for a gel battery different..I believe the klr uses a 14 amp battery , but this one on ebay is only 9 amps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bikemaster-T...75b0c9&vxp=mtr
rdhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 712
Check the charging voltage. If it is happening regular my thought would be the regulator not putting out the correct voltage.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
rdhj OP
NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
Check the charging voltage. If it is happening regular my thought would be the regulator not putting out the correct voltage.
i guess to do that i just put a meter on it while giving it gas? is should only read 14 volts, right?
rdhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,874
Something like that. Measure at the battery terminals to see what the battery is actually getting.

If the battery is getting overcooked, AND the regulator uses a voltage sensing wire, make sure it is hooked up nearer to the battery as opposed to routed up to the switched terminal on the ignition switch - more than one bike has this flaw which tricks the regulator into over charging. DAMHIK.

But not all bikes/regulators work this way, so you'll have to do some studying to see what kind of system you have

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,274
the KLR (and others) have a tendency to slightly overcharge the battery. I've had a voltmeter on mine for 7 years & it normally charges at about 14.2 volts.... but I sometimes see as high 14.7 volts.

wet cell, vented type batteries lose water to electrolysis... water is broken down into hydrogen and oxygen gas during the charge cycle... high charge rates accelerate water use.

water use is a pain on the KLR because you can't see the plus side of the battery unless you pull it out (the plus side uses more water)

sealed batteries like glass matt AGM type are the way to go. the Hawker Odyssey is the best of the lot
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,044
In addition to the above, a wet cell battery is just plain dumb on a dual-sport. When the bike goes on its side, you've got an acid leak very shortly thereafter.

The Odyssey battery is absolute best, but insanely expensive. Any decent sealed battery (AGM or gel, take your pick) will do the trick for about 1/3 the cost. My KLR650 is wearing a MotoBatt. Google around -- they're outstanding batteries. You can also get an excellent sealed battery at any Advance auto parts.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

$120 for the one I put in my bike last summer. 1 Odyssey = 2 anything else. I ran one 7 years in my hovercraft & took it out still working fine. I put in a new one because you can't walk out of where the craft will take you. same with airplanes... lots of guys up here use them & then get nervous when they realize its been 7-8 years in service & replace them as a matter of course. the one I took out went into my brother's R100 & was still fine a year later when he sold it.

but yeah, some models are spendy... do a search. because they are sealed they can be shipped any method, no problem.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...c545%20battery

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Od...er-KLR650.aspx
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
AGM. Short of the super duper, jerk you off sideways triple money Odyssey and the like, a Deka AGM is a great US made choice. http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=510 http://stores.ebay.com/moto-heaven/Y..._fsub=16932385
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,649
When checking charging voltage, it must be done with the battery fully charged.
A partially charged battery will give a false voltmeter reading.
So check charging voltage with a known good fully charged battery.
13.9v is the low side, 14.2v is the highside for charging voltage.
And yes, sealed batteries can tolerate higher voltages but nothing beyond 14.2 is necessary when living/riding in normal livable temps.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
electroken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
AGM. Short of the super duper, jerk you off sideways triple money Odyssey and the like, a Deka AGM is a great US made choice. http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=510 http://stores.ebay.com/moto-heaven/Y..._fsub=16932385
I second that recommendation. Six years so far in my C10 Concours and 4.5 so far in my KLR.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

the Deka is still a hunnert bucks though right? I hear good about them, but have no experience with them.

and hey OldPete.... what do you mean "normal temperatures"?

(it's like 10 below right now)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
electroken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
the Deka is still a hunnert bucks though right?
Both of mine were $65-$70 delivered.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
QueenLaura

Oddometer: n/a
It can't get over $100
Old 12-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
the Deka is still a hunnert bucks though right? I hear good about them, but have no experience with them.

and hey OldPete.... what do you mean "normal temperatures"?

(it's like 10 below right now)
Try shopping Deka's homesite as they offer considerable discounts on batteries with blemished cases.
Deka and Odysse use 100% pure lead in their plates and more thinner plates per cell = better cold cranking amps + a heavyer battery.

At 10 below a main line supplied heating pad under an insulated battery may help.
IIRC, trucks on the North Slope never shut down during the uber-cold months.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

62 years in AK... I got the cold figgered out.... you would think I'd know better by now though (as in why am I still here)