User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Deer repellent: Stebel Nautilus + Clearwater Kristas

Anyone who rides in my area needs to worry about deer. I did a long ride today and came across several groups near the side of the road. I was happy to see that the combination of my mega-loud Stebel Nautilus horn tied together with my mega-bright Clearwater Krista aux lights was very effective at scaring them back into the woods.

The Kristas are dimmable and include a dedicated horn wire input. This pops them up to full bright whenever you blast the horn.

If any of you are on the fence about getting a louder horn or brighter lights - give this combo a good look.

Stebel kit: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stebe...FcXb4AodgU0AKA

Kristas: http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html

Of course, this is useless if they run out from nowhere before you can react!!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
I find that deer don't react much to my Nautilus. I typically lay on the horn when they are beside the road and they don't run off until I am within 50ft or so.

Also, I read a study recently that said that bright lights are what cause deer to react so stupidly and recommended running without headlights for as long as possible in the evening so that they don't flip out. I have noticed that during daylight hours, deer don't react to passing vehicles, so there might be something to it.

Of course, your deer might be different than ours...

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I find that deer don't react much to my Nautilus. I typically lay on the horn when they are beside the road and they don't run off until I am within 50ft or so.

Also, I read a study recently that said that bright lights are what cause deer to react so stupidly and recommended running without headlights for as long as possible in the evening so that they don't flip out. I have noticed that during daylight hours, deer don't react to passing vehicles, so there might be something to it.

Of course, your deer might be different than ours...
Yes, I've read that too, the article I read said the same thing about horns. However, when I've seen deer at the side of the road (daytime) blowing the horn has seemed to scare them away. Maybe at night the horn would panic them more...who knows?
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,197
Unfortunately, the only effective deer repellant I've found is a rifle.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 220
Bluhduh Stupid deer

I have a Stebel horn which I have used to run off deer, but a few weeks ago I didn't see one and I hit him. Not a lot of damage but a lot of adrenaline! I have a friend who swears by the deer whistles on his cars, and I've been considering putting one on my bike. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
The best deer repellent I have found is my front brake.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
I have a Stebel horn which I have used to run off deer, but a few weeks ago I didn't see one and I hit him. Not a lot of damage but a lot of adrenaline! I have a friend who swears by the deer whistles on his cars, and I've been considering putting one on my bike. Anyone have any thoughts on them?
Both my Dad and I have them but doesn't seem to make a difference
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
themmd
Rick

Oddometer: 11
Living in a major deer area I've come to the conclusion that the only thing predictable about deer is that they are unpredictable. Blow a horn at Bambi and it's just lible to walk into you. Flash your lights and they may just stand there and go; "What's that?" as you run into them.

Regarding deer whistles or whatever they are called for cars. A friend of mine damaged his van when he hit a deer so he installed deer whistles on the van that was damaged and his wife's car. Three weeks later his wife hit a deer in her car and two weeks after that, he hit another deer in his van. The general consensus in my neck of the woods is that the whistles are worthless.
themmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 368

We'd do better to enlist the cooperation of the deer... this woman gets it.
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
I need one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
This should do the trick:

John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcassady View Post

We'd do better to enlist the cooperation of the deer... this woman gets it.
We were talking about this woman at work the other day. I nearly peed my pants laughing!

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
My wifes family is from NC Wisconsin and some time ago they sent her a newspaper article about a "study" conducted by the WI state police, i.e. they put them on patrol cars and compared accident rates of cars with to cars without whistles. The conclusion of the "study" was that they did not have an appreciable effect in reducing the number of deer strikes.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
My wifes family is from NC Wisconsin and some time ago they sent her a newspaper article about a "study" conducted by the WI state police, i.e. they put them on patrol cars and compared accident rates of cars with to cars without whistles. The conclusion of the "study" was that they did not have an appreciable effect in reducing the number of deer strikes.
Bummer.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 541
you knuckle heads

trying to avoid a deer of the white tail variety is a ludicriss endevour. go to the junk yard and get a couple old snow shovels with metal front edges and bolt the front edges together and mount the assembly to the front of your bike and create a "deer splitter" not unlike the old cow catchers from the days of yor. One Caveat is that if you axidently split a kid on a skateboard it will go on your permanent record. or you could bolt corrigated drain pipe together and get your deer split up like a ruffle potato chip. Hey I should make a Popiel Deer "o" matic. Also i find by aiming at the deer and excellerating you can never hit them.....only when you try to avoid them do you have trouble.

forever urine
Vermin
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
just aim to the tail and when you reach the deer position it won't be there.

By the way here in Mexico when you see a deer x-ing sign it actually a way made it for them to cross. All the toll roads here have 2 fences aside the tarmac to prevent the wild life x-ing and they build some kind of bottle neck to certain areas where they allow the x-ing.
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote