Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #31
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
My daily routine starting around this time of year, is to get up at 5:00am, start my Car and let it idle for 10 or 15 minutes to create enough heat to safely leave for work. I then have a 15 minute all highway, 60mph plus commute to work. My car has a V-8 but I still have to run the heater fan on high with the heat cranked all the way to work just to be comfortable and keep the windows clear.
I can see how the Volt will work for you, but electric cars just won't work anywhere that gets a real winter.
I've been told I should turn it on in the garage a few minutes before I unplug it, to let the electric heater and heated seats warm up (which apparently you can do with an app). That way I won't deplete the battery and the car's toasty. You can do the same with the air conditioner in the summer, but we never bothered.

We've put over 13,000 miles on it, so far.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,585
Quote:
My daily routine starting around this time of year, is to get up at 5:00am, start my Car and let it idle for 10 or 15 minutes to create enough heat to safely leave for work. I then have a 15 minute all highway, 60mph plus commute to work. My car has a V-8 but I still have to run the heater fan on high with the heat cranked all the way to work just to be comfortable and keep the windows clear.
I can see how the Volt will work for you, but electric cars just won't work anywhere that gets a real winter.
Here's a chart with a rough guide to range versus temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post

I wouldn't think you would have gotten a Volt unless it was made by Mercedes.
From my persona here, it would seem that way but as I mentioned earlier, it has been all domestics save for three, one of which is a 21 year old S class Benz. One of the cars in which I learned to drive was a 1968 280SE Benz so I am imprinted on the brand.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"

Anorak screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:56 PM
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Well, I'll be damned, it really IS Anorak!
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Well, I'll be damned, it really IS Anorak!
I didn't make the chart, I just found one using resources unavailable to other people.

Oh and by the way, the Duke II is the most fun, bitchin' bike I've owned. I'm still surprised at how fast it winds up. I'm concerned about the longevity at 90 mph on the freeway, though. It has been running fine but I don't know much about the LC4. Is it going to blow up soon if I keep cruising it at 90ish?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

You're as good a judge of the longevity as I am. You know that you're damn-near full throttle to be going that fast. Not many engines like that as their main mode of operation. Mine gets used exclusively on twisty roads, a couple of times a year. It rarely sees over 80.

Stay on top of that oil level. My experience (from the Adventure) has been that blow-by and airbox oil consumption goes up alarmingly fast at those throttle loads. As mentioned in the old PM, once that downtube starves for oil, the flow stops.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #36
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
You're as good a judge of the longevity as I am. You know that you're damn-near full throttle to be going that fast. Not many engines like that as their main mode of operation. Mine gets used exclusively on twisty roads, a couple of times a year. It rarely sees over 80.

Stay on top of that oil level. My experience (from the Adventure) has been that blow-by and airbox oil consumption goes up alarmingly fast at those throttle loads. As mentioned in the old PM, once that downtube starves for oil, the flow stops.
I think full throttle, a tailwind and down hill might get me 110 at redline. That thing is far faster than it should be.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

But still being able to slalom in the middle of a tight mountain corner is its forte.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #38
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
But still being able to slalom in the middle of a tight mountain corner is its forte.
Yes or riding like a dick in San Francisco. Riding more than a few miles on the freeway is really a bore.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Can the Volt tow a trailer?

I know the Prius isn't rated for one but people still put hitches on and pull trailers anyway.
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
I think full throttle, a tailwind and down hill might get me 110 at redline. That thing is far faster than it should be.
I only got up to 100 downhill on my LC4. It was still picking up speed though, I was just afraid I was going to blow something up and have a seized engine at 100mph. BTW, that was about 600 mile into a 7,000 mile trip on the LC4, with virtually zero maintenance (aside from adding oil every day). But when I got back, I tore it down because of a leaky base gasket, and found that the piston had seized at some point because the piston-cooling oil jet was full of gunk from the ktm factory (aluminum mill shavings all packed in there). Still ran fine though.

I don't get what the hubub is about though, the real anorak/Flourescent brown is an equal opportunity mercedes/bentley/corvette fan, among other makes. Volt actually looks like a pretty damn good car, I'm still surprised it's made by GM.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #41
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,122
Quote:
I didn't make the chart, I just found one using resources unavailable to other people.

Oh and by the way, the Duke II is the most fun, bitchin' bike I've owned. I'm still surprised at how fast it winds up. I'm concerned about the longevity at 90 mph on the freeway, though. It has been running fine but I don't know much about the LC4. Is it going to blow up soon if I keep cruising it at 90ish?

When I took a duke for a ride at the IMS, I thought it was the most fun bike ever, then I rode the Hypermotard with the Termi exhaust and that became the hooligan bike to ride. Wow!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #42
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:

That chart doesn't show winter in my world. I'd be curious to know the range after putting a negative in front of those temperatures.
I can see the phone app that turns on the cabin and seat heaters as being a useful feature, but again I don't believe a battery can provide the required amount of heat to operate in the north.
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #43
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,178
Quote:
That chart doesn't show winter in my world. I'd be curious to know the range after putting a negative in front of those temperatures.
I can see the phone app that turns on the cabin and seat heaters as being a useful feature, but again I don't believe a battery can provide the required amount of heat to operate in the north.
If your distance to work fits the profile for your (I know it's lower than shown) temperature who cares?
Also, it's not a Leaf, it has an ICE, and who cares if it turns on once in a while during the winter?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #44
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Just extrapolate!

You (roughly) lose 5% every 10 degrees in lower temps. Maybe more?

Starting at 75% @ 20-30F...

70% @ 10-20F

65% @ 0-10F

60% @ -10 to 0F

55% @ -20 to -10F

So, at -130 to -140F just stay home cause your range is 0% .
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #45
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,428
Quote:
http://www.bartcop.com/stove-your-volvo.jpg

42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: