Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #61
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.mc View Post
How do you like driving it? is it sort of meh like the Impalas or is it a nice driving experience?
I like the way it drives. It feels like some attention has been paid to the driving dynamics. Firm but not harsh. The tires a sort of loud but they are low rolling resistance and at 38 psi. Sport mode is fun, quick throttle response and strong acceleration.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #62
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I like the way it drives. It feels like some attention has been paid to the driving dynamics. Firm but not harsh. The tires a sort of loud but they are low rolling resistance and at 38 psi. Sport mode is fun, quick throttle response and strong acceleration.

Totally agree +eleventymillion with Anorak.

It drives nothing like a crapwagon. I have a feeling that a lot has to do with all the weight in the middle and down low. Also, the battery belly plate should add a lot of rigidity to the chassis.

Maybe I'm off my nut, but my first thought was, "This drives nothing like any other front wheel drive car I've ever driven." I traded in a BMW X3, and was impressed.

Anorak- bump your tires up to 40, and you may just gain another mile or two off the battery.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #63
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,763
My last ride was a 335d with sport suspension. So the Volt won't handle the twisties like the BMW, but it's extremely comfortable in all road conditions. I agree, I think the weight of the batteries down low helps everywhere, but high speed rapid turns. The low friction tires might play a part. But at less than 9/10ths, it's very nice.

I rent cars like Impala and Malibu on business. The Volt is much, much, nicer.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #64
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Something I've noticed while commuting. The range seems to increase by a few miles after about five miles. When I left San Francisco with a full charge this evening. the range indicated was 37 miles. By the time I was in Oakland in the Grand Lake neighborhood, I had traveled about 12 miles and the remaining range indicated was 28 miles. My drive starts on a mild incline to the Bay Bridge and then at the Oakland anchorage it is downhill. Perhaps that affects the estimation.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #65
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

If you're on a long downhill cruise, put the shifter in L and use your cruise control. (if possible) This essentially will charge the battery a bit on the way down, instead of using the brake. There are guys on the Volt board (gm-volt.com) that have started at the peak of the Rockies, and gained a full charge by the bottom, and used no fuel in the process. The Volt lets you take advantage of that old physics lesson of an object at the top of a hill having stored energy.

L isn't really a low gear- its just a higher regen (more 'engine braking') when you lift the pedal. Of course the brake pedal provides regen, but L and cruise can do a more perfect job, if circumstances permit.

Also, the charge remaining algorithm gets increasingly accurate- it learns your driving style. Getting 40 miles out of the battery in your climate isn't bad. I'll bet you'll do better as time goes on. Smooth driving pays off.

gm-volt.com is a great place to learn some things from others. Just beware of the apple-grade fanboyizm.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #66
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
If you're on a long downhill cruise, put the shifter in L and use your cruise control. (if possible) This essentially will charge the battery a bit on the way down, instead of using the brake. There are guys on the Volt board (gm-volt.com) that have started at the peak of the Rockies, and gained a full charge by the bottom, and used no fuel in the process. The Volt lets you take advantage of that old physics lesson of an object at the top of a hill having stored energy.

L isn't really a low gear- its just a higher regen (more 'engine braking') when you lift the pedal. Of course the brake pedal provides regen, but L and cruise can do a more perfect job, if circumstances permit.

Also, the charge remaining algorithm gets increasingly accurate- it learns your driving style. Getting 40 miles out of the battery in your climate isn't bad. I'll bet you'll do better as time goes on. Smooth driving pays off.

gm-volt.com is a great place to learn some things from others. Just beware of the apple-grade fanboyizm.
I've played with the L position. On one hill near me it held the car at about 17 mph. I think feathering the brakes in some situations modulates the regen. better.

I'd like to find an application that would show me the drivetrain operating conditions real time. I would guess that the obd port would be the source. A wireless connection to an ipad with a nice graphic would be cool. I want to see engine rpm, temperature, throttle position etc. Then the electric drive train numbers would be cool, also.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #67
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
I've played with the L position. On one hill near me it held the car at about 17 mph. I think feathering the brakes in some situations modulates the regen. better.

I'd like to find an application that would show me the drivetrain operating conditions real time. I would guess that the obd port would be the source. A wireless connection to an ipad with a nice graphic would be cool. I want to see engine rpm, temperature, throttle position etc. Then the electric drive train numbers would be cool, also.
Bummer on this- GM uses their own top-secret codes for the real geeky stuff. There is an OBD reader that licensed the codes, but its a bit pricey. You can search for it on gm-volt.com Beware getting too funky with the OBD port, there's a few guys that have shutdown the high voltage system poking around where GM doesn't think they should be. The car is still drivable, but you need a Volt tech to reset the HV system. ($ @ dealer)

I got to see the battery out of my car (reinforcement plate non-recall upgrade program). I think GM did a heck of a job on the Volt.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #68
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Interesting thread. I would have thought the Volt was a boring thing to drive. I always loved the concept, but same about the Tesla and such and they have proven to be short lived in the real world as far as shorter than advertised miles per charge. Oh, and I so want a KTM Duke...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #69
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,692
Let's say you had a hitch mounted rack and carried a small gas or diesel generator -- could you run the generator and plug the car in?

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #70
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
Let's say you had a hitch mounted rack and carried a small gas or diesel generator -- could you run the generator and plug the car in?
Probably but, you already have a generator in the front. From what I understand, it doesn't charge the battery while driving because gasoline is a lot more expensive than power from the grid.

As an aside, there is a public charging station near me that is $2.00 hr. my calculation makes that about double the price of a gallon of 91 octane gas here.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #71
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Probably but, you already have a generator in the front. From what I understand, it doesn't charge the battery while driving because gasoline is a lot more expensive than power from the grid.

As an aside, there is a public charging station near me that is $2.00 hr. my calculation makes that about double the price of a gallon of 91 octane gas here.
I wonder if two small Honda generators strapped to a roof rack would charge an EV -- in motion -- more efficiently than the on-board generator? Or if using all three in tandem would result in a net gain in efficiency?

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #72
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

The most efficient generator is under the hood.

At relatively constant highway speeds, it will couple the engine torque to the front wheels, while driving the gen, for optimum efficiency. Wasting rotational motion just to suffer charging & discharge losses is not the most efficient. However, it is always electric, because the design of the transaxle demands some input from an electric motor, to couple the torque from the engine to the drive axles. Its all about gears and clutchpacks.

However, the ECU can run the engine at the optimum load and RPM, regardless of vehicle speed, and store the excess energy not used in propelling the car to the battery. In fact, it makes enough extra juice, that when cruising along, there are times when the engine will turn off, and drive the car solely on battery, long after the battery has been initially depleted. This is most noticeable when driving along at 50-70mph.

GM did a lot of asking, 'what if', 'why not' and 'how about', when designing this thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #73
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,763
The least costly way to charge you Volt is at night from a house equipped with a tax credit subsidized installation of solar panels, hooked up to the grid.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #74
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Interesting thread. I would have thought the Volt was a boring thing to drive. I always loved the concept, but same about the Tesla and such and they have proven to be short lived in the real world as far as shorter than advertised miles per charge. Oh, and I so want a KTM Duke...

Car of the year.

And yes, I would hit her.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #75
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Car of the year.