User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #76
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,256
The Volt appears to have a glow plug light at the bottom of the indicator lights on the right of the speedo. It's visible if you shine a flashlight on it.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #77
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 395
Has it caught fire yet?
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #78
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
Has it caught fire yet?
Yes, after I crash tested it to the point that it was destroyed and let it sit for three weeks without draining the coolant which is the protocol after a crash.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #79
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
There's a brand spankin' new charging station in the parking deck where I work that appears to be made for just anyone who happens to want to park their electric car there. Haven't seen a single car using it yet. Will be interesting to see if that changes as more of these make their way east coast.

It's apparently getting a cousin in the GM line-up in 2013.

DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #80
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Saw one of the ELR test vehicles about a month ago on the Ohio Turnpike. Going the other way, so no way to get a pic. Looked good, even in the splattered cow stealth wrap.

Also, GM is getting their fully electric Spark ready. Hopefully, GM has recaptured their desire to be on the cutting edge. Its been missing and not in action for several decades.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #81
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The Volt appears to have a glow plug light at the bottom of the indicator lights on the right of the speedo. It's visible if you shine a flashlight on it.
So, what's the story on this?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #82
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
So, what's the story on this?
I don't know. I can't find any reference to it. Perhaps the warning light assembly is shared with another vehicle with a diesel option.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #83
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
That will be awesome combo.. diesel hybrid. I remember seeing a few articles about Chevy Cruz getting a small diesel power plant..
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #84
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Instrument clusters often have a variety of additional spots that aren't used in specific applications.

Considering the typical engine duty cycle in a volt it is a less than ideal diesel platform.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #85
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Considering the typical engine duty cycle in a volt it is a less than ideal diesel platform.
What do you mean? They don't make gasoline hybrid trains.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #86
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
What do you mean? They don't make gasoline hybrid trains.
I mean the frequent on/off duty cycle of the engine in the environments in which the volt shines really aren't the best venue for a diesel. Diesels (almost all of which are turbocharged in modern automotive applications) do best when started and run through complete warm up and cool down cycles. Frequent start/stop operations aren't as good for a turbo diesel. A normally aspirated gasoline engine isn't nearly as adversely affected by this operation, and tends to warm up faster than a comparably performing diesel.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #87
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,879
The ideal setup in most hybrids so far has been a naturally aspirated Atkinson cycle. Simpler, lighter and about as efficient as the diesel cycle just down on power. Electric boost takes care of that problem and at cruising speed we don't need much power. Toyota and Ford have both gone this route. Some wonder if GM will do the same in Volt 2.0. VW tho has gone whole hog with a new gas engine with all the goodies. Beats the TDI in combined mileage by 25% without loss of performance.
A diesel in the volt would have little benefit. Since it rarely drives the wheels, the torque benefit is lost. More weight for what?

Tweaker screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 10:04 AM
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #88
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
This is an interesting solution to the the upcoming problem of what to do with used electric auto batteries.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...car-batteries/

"Imagine a future in which old electric-car batteries are deployed in neighborhoods as energy-storage systems that guard against power outages, while paving the way for wind and solar power—and more electric cars. The idea has moved one step closer with the demonstration of a boxy unit of used Chevy Volt batteries capable of providing enough electricity to power three to five average American homes for up to two hours.
"
Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #89
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I mean the frequent on/off duty cycle of the engine in the environments in which the volt shines really aren't the best venue for a diesel. Diesels (almost all of which are turbocharged in modern automotive applications) do best when started and run through complete warm up and cool down cycles. Frequent start/stop operations aren't as good for a turbo diesel. A normally aspirated gasoline engine isn't nearly as adversely affected by this operation, and tends to warm up faster than a comparably performing diesel.
The Volt runs the I.c. engine when the battery is discharged to the safe limit. So, it won't run intermittently when it is used. The Volt also has logic that allows the engine to come up to temperature when it runs.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #90
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
A, what did the Volt cost you? Wondering if maybe the Volt is right for us, or pay less and get the Jetta TDI Sportwagon.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: