Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #31
donmac
casual angler

Oddometer: 187
I used to do an hour commute daily in NH until the roads were covered with ice and snow. It would typically be in the teens before I'd park the bike for the year. Heated grips, Gerbing gloves and jacket liner, and an aerostich darien outfit made it not bad at all. Toes would be the first to get cold. Considered Gerbing socks but never got around to them.

We'd then snowmobile all winter in temps below zero with just heated grips and snowmobile gloves - but riding a bike is a tad more passive than riding a sled - so your hands actually get colder on the bike.
donmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #32
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
-Winter glove with enough extra space for the liners
I wish, I have a hard enuf time finding a mitt that looks like a bunch of banannas
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Grip warmers and hippohands are great, though a little spendy and frustrating when the warmers konk out.

Recently I got the bib heater from Aerostich. Cheap and simple way heat up your core and pump warm blood out to your fingers and toes, it works remarkably well.
The bib also packs really small making it a great solution for the traveling type of rider who ranges from high mountain passes to sweltering jungle in a day.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #34
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i am thinking of getting snowmobile gloves for winter. when it gets down to -5ish not sure what ones to go for .
the only problem i can see is that they wont give my hand any protection if i slid off.

any help would be good.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #35
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
I'm not sure the stock cb750 charging system has the juice for heated accessories. I know none of my old Hondas have.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #36
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Did you read that on the internet?

Mine are 12 years old and wonderful. The only time they failed to work was after a dog chewed on the cord... And that was an easy fix.
+1 on this, my Gerbings have been fantastic for years now. I lived in Wyoming for many years and it gets damned cold, but not so much ice like we get in VA. As long as the roads were ice free I was riding and the heated vest and gloves were the shiznit.

I've never tried Hippo Hands, not so sure I'd like my hands "committed" like that. I've sure seen lots of folks riding with them, so they might be worth a try.

Doug
Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,525
snowmobile gloves?

I am surprised how many riders are wearing snowmobile gloves. I was under the impression that even the thickest snowmobile gloves don't provide even the most basic impact protection. Unless I'm wrong. Which is a frequent occurrence, sadly.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
I went with Powerlet heated gloves, and those have worked fine for riding at 20F ambient. I did get a set of handguards to keep the wind off the hands (my bike is totally unfaired), but haven't fitted them on yet, so I don't know how much they will help.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #39
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

I've never tried Hippo Hands, not so sure I'd like my hands "committed" like that. I've sure seen lots of folks riding with them, so they might be worth a try.

Doug
Get real Hippo hands, not a substitute. The real ones stay open and it is no problem to take your hands out and put them back in. You get used to riding without seeing your hands.

You can take them off or put them back on in just a few minutes, with some practice.

They make riding in the winter very comfortable, even without heated grips. With heated grips it is luxurious.

I have no affiliation with the company, I just have Hippo's for both my bikes and ride happily all winter long in temps in the 20's and below. (They are pretty ugly though.)

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Did you read that on the internet?

Mine are 12 years old and wonderful. The only time they failed to work was after a dog chewed on the cord... And that was an easy fix.
+1to that. I've got Gerbings and they are great. I've ridden through snow on mountain passes in B.C. and Yukon Territory and had them be plenty warm enough, and they haven't failed in any way. I use them with the heated grips to commute here in Denver, and add the gauntlets (similar to Hippo Hands) if its raining.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #41
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I am surprised how many riders are wearing snowmobile gloves. I was under the impression that even the thickest snowmobile gloves don't provide even the most basic impact protection. Unless I'm wrong. Which is a frequent occurrence, sadly.

if you are riding in the snow then i think it be ok. but if you sild off on the road i think you would end up sitting on the pavement with your hands messed up. which is why i still have my bike gloves on for now til i get round buy and fit bar muffs.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #42
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Hippo Hands or a variant, heated grips and summer gloves.

P.S. Hippo Hands are GREAT in the rain as well as the cold. Road through a full day of icy rain last month on the Alcan and my hands where the last thing on my list to worry about.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #43
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

i am thinking my sumer alpinestars sp-x gloves and bar muff should be fine as i dont wont to have to take off my new grips to fit heatted ones. i will have to see what ones are for sale on line and whats the best deal to.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #44
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I commute about 45 minutes each way, year round in Maine as long as as there's not snow and ice on the roads. I have heated grips and just got a heated vest -- both of which make a huge difference.

Adjusting your speed is another weapon in your arsenal against cold. In spring/summer/fall, I tend to ride 70 - 75mph, but when the ambient temps get into the low 20s, that speed (and subsequent wind) get me pretty chilled in about 20 minutes. If I adjust my speed down to about 60mph, I feel like I could ride for hours.

Reducing wind chill by riding slower isn't necessarily the definitive solution, but it's one of the variables over which your have control -- so it's good to experiment with it a little so you can use it to your advantage. One of the scenarios I have in the back of my mind is that if my heated grips or heated vest were to fail, I bet I could get to my destination by dropping my speed to 45mph.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
W4lnutz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Laugh

Helll Yes hippo hands are ugly but I am a utilitarian biker so I dont go for looks!
W4lnutz is offline   Reply With Quote