User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
Noone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Make your smaller wheel bigger

I have a cruiser. 16 inch wheels. Can't find any "off road" tire except for the Duro median (in 16 inch) and it is a front tire and a bit thin (130/). Stock size is 150 (3.5 inch wheel width, 650 lbs dry weight bike).

What about having my hub re-laced to a 17 inch wheel? Other than clearance problems, what issues may I face? Any of you done something like this?

Thanks.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Your gearing might change depending on the differences in tire diameters. Go to www.gearingcommander.com and plug in your bike - it is most likely in their database. Then you can type in the new tire size and see how it effects your gearing. Probably not much, but worth mentioning.

Oh yeah - your bikes geometry could change as well, along with the kickstand being too short.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
it all depends on what tire size......

if you lace your hub to a 17" rim, but use a shorter sidewall tire to make up for the difference in height.

what you're looking for is something same or close in outside diameter. a little bigger won't hurt, a little smaller will be more revolutions per mile.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Buying another bike will likely be cheaper ?. Not a criticism, just a warning.

I hear Woodies Wheel Works are the "go to" place in the US, he's in the vendor threads, ask there.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
Noone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Buying another bike will likely be cheaper ?. Not a criticism, just a warning.

I hear Woodies Wheel Works are the "go to" place in the US, he's in the vendor threads, ask there.

Pete
I'm thinking I have a few hundred dollars I can spend on the wheel project. Don't think I can get a new/different bike for that. Plus, I like my bike (I have three of the same type). I just need a tire that is better on gravel and snot (Alaskan dirt when wet).

RTW Doug used a front Duro on the rear of his HD when riding the TAT but I think the rear wheel on his bike is only 3 inches vice 3.5.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
rpcraft
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Buchanan or Woody's Wheel works are 2 places that can help when it comes to custom wheels, fitting a hub to a new wheel, or telling you what you need and supplying you what is needed in order to get the job done yourself.

Woody's does all kinds of custom machining on hubs and custom drilling on wheels, but it can get pretty pricey.

I am sure Buchanan does similar work but I could not say for sure, having not used them.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

http://www.buchananspokes.com/
rpcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
Noone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
Buchanan or Woody's Wheel works are 2 places that can help when it comes to custom wheels, fitting a hub to a new wheel, or telling you what you need and supplying you what is needed in order to get the job done yourself.

Woody's does all kinds of custom machining on hubs and custom drilling on wheels, but it can get pretty pricey.

I am sure Buchanan does similar work but I could not say for sure, having not used them.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

http://www.buchananspokes.com/
Thanks for the info. Bike is shaft drive. Thought I'd send a hub and ask it to be laced to a 17 inch wheel. Should be able to find something in 17 inch tire to meet my needs. I don't think I have enough clearance in the swingarm for an 18 or 19 inch wheel (but I could check).
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
victor441
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
I have a cruiser. 16 inch wheels. Can't find any "off road" tire except for the Duro median (in 16 inch) and it is a front tire and a bit thin (130/). Stock size is 150 (3.5 inch wheel width, 650 lbs dry weight bike).

What about having my hub re-laced to a 17 inch wheel? Other than clearance problems, what issues may I face? Any of you done something like this?

Thanks.
What bike? and what size is the stock tire, 150/??-16?
If you make a 150/70-17 work the tire selection is excellent, that size is very common for ADV bikes, standard rim width for the tire is 4.25" (also for a 150/60-17, found on many supermotos, diameter about 5% less than a 150/70)

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...Size_Chart.pdf
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Noone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
What bike? and what size is the stock tire, 150/??-16?
If you make a 150/70-17 work the tire selection is excellent, that size is very common for ADV bikes, standard rim width for the tire is 4.25" (also for a 150/60-17, found on many supermotos, diameter about 5% less than a 150/70)

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...Size_Chart.pdf
Kawasaki Drifter 1500. Stock size rear tire is 150/80/16. Width of wheel is only 3.5 inches. It is shaft drive so really should not be a great/noticeable difference in RPMs while riding and the speedo is cable driven from the front wheel so no mph difference (I have the rare one that actually reads correctly). The bike is a heavy pig but I love it. Rode it to Alaska in 2010 and made it 12 miles up the Haul road before common sense took over and I turned for home. Found out in Alaska that street tires really suck ass in snot/mud conditions and are not really great in the pea gravel.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
victor441
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Kawasaki Drifter 1500. Stock size rear tire is 150/80/16. Width of wheel is only 3.5 inches. It is shaft drive so really should not be a great/noticeable difference in RPMs while riding and the speedo is cable driven from the front wheel so no mph difference (I have the rare one that actually reads correctly). The bike is a heavy pig but I love it. Rode it to Alaska in 2010 and made it 12 miles up the Haul road before common sense took over and I turned for home. Found out in Alaska that street tires really suck ass in snot/mud conditions and are not really great in the pea gravel.
Should very likely work fine without clearance problems or gearing changes then, a 150/80-16 and a 150/70-17 are the same diameter (or very close, depending on the brand)....I'd go with the optimum rim width though 4.25 x 17 for the new tire
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 4,208
I would check clearance between the tire and swing arm,some cruisers have very little cleance on shaft drive bikes !.
GS500ADV..THE PURPLE EXPLORE
[B
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote