Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #316
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
In the interest in trying to do daily updates
The end is near Are you riding it to the RDV or ?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #317
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,229
Whats the rdv? And probably not, I'm thinking my maiden voyage will be a trip with buddies around west virginia

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #318
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,476
Rick's Rendezvous
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #319
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Can't make that. Although it would be awesome because that's where I debuted the FZ1 three years ago. Spent 2 hellish weeks up until 3-4am EVERY night just a crazy man. 48 hours before the departure time to make that rally I had never heard the bike run. And actually couldn't get it running. The morning of the departure I still had not built the seat or the left saddlebag.

I dropped tools at 1pm and ripped out of there and rode the whole way down there with no problems. I actually haven't changed anything since I last rode it down there other than a couple things because I wanted to. It was fun seeing people ride it down at the rally and just saying "What the fuck is that?"

That was the last time I saw Rick too

Nessmuk
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #320
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Another good day of progress. Got the brake lever side rearset all done. I used the waterjet again and recut the part after a couple revisions. I got rid of the bolt holes for the master cylinder so I could fit it while the lever was mounted.

Lots of stuff going on here. I bent the 3/16" plate on the ironworker so that the footpeg was level. Aligned the actual footpeg bracket (silver) and then tacked it in place. I machined up a spacer for the KTM brake lever, and you can see the bolt coming through. Welded that to the back of the plate. Then I had to machine up a spacer on the lathe to connect the lever to the master cylinder. Very fun day seeing it all come together.

One thing I would have changed given an option is to have the brake lever plunger at a right angle to the master cylinder. It's not that big of a deal though.

Fortunately I got the cutout for the brake line in the right place. I'm going to wait to weld it in place until I have the other one made. Hopefully that one will be much easier not having to account for the braking system, but I will need to redesign the shifter. Which should make for some more fun machining. The plan is to weld them down the frame, and then make braces to weld up underneath to the frame crossmembers. I stood up on the one peg and it def flexes but that's with only 2 M8 bolts holding it.

Great day where nothing went wrong. For once

Nessmuk
Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #321
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
One thing I would have changed given an option is to have the brake lever plunger at a right angle to the master cylinder. It's not that big of a deal though.
Could you shim the master cylinder so that it is in alignment? It doesn't look to be too far out...
16VGTIDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #322
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Could you shim the master cylinder so that it is in alignment? It doesn't look to be too far out...

It's not at a 90 degree angle concerning the rotation. The parts are all in line, or close enough but I may have to trim that spacer. I made it quickly and ballparked it. If you are looking at the braking setup from the side you can see the master is raked backwards. Without recutting the rearset and redrilling the holes I can't fix it. But again it's not that big a deal. I just noticed it when I cycled the lever.

Nessmuk
Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #323
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Whats the rdv? And probably not, I'm thinking my maiden voyage will be a trip with buddies around west virginia
You should have all the bugs worked out by the first weekend of October. Not as big as Ricks RDV, but same core group of inmates

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878511
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #324
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
You should have all the bugs worked out by the first weekend of October. Not as big as Ricks RDV, but same core group of inmates

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878511
Hey stranger!!

I'd love to but that looks to be the same general time as we have for a local riding crew to head to Rock Run for a dirt bike campout/steak eating fest.

I'm so pumped for this thing to run, hopefully it will be sooner than I think but I know better

Nessmuk
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #325
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Hey stranger!!

I'd love to but that looks to be the same general time as we have for a local riding crew to head to Rock Run for a dirt bike campout/steak eating fest.

I'm so pumped for this thing to run, hopefully it will be sooner than I think but I know better
Yeabut Nottarally is a nottadirtbikesteakeatinganbeerdrinkingfest

The nottaNinja would fit right in! It's looking very sick. You missed your calling, or maybe not...
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #326
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Yeabut Nottarally is a nottadirtbikesteakeatinganbeerdrinkingfest
exactly

Got lots done today.

Cut the left side rear set out on the waterjet and bent the bottom. I had to remove the kickstand tab with the plasma so I'll need to figure that problem out.

Here's the side I'm tackling. Worked on the shifter arrangement and think I designed it well enough. Spent a couple hours with calipers and bearings to get a good pivot point and solid shifter action. I have metric rod ends coming from McMaster to finish it off.

Should finish shifter and can weld in the rearsets for good. Then on to the plumbing for fuel and some odds and ends.

Also redid the radiator guard again and it looks sweet.

Nessmuk
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #327
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Finished the subtank today. I made the fuel pump flange twice. I started making it on the mill using a boring head but it ended up not being the right size. So I recut the 3/8" plate and chucked it up in the 4 jaw and made it again on the lathe.

I drilled the holes for the pump and tapped them blind, M6. The holes are not symmetrical so I used a transfer punch to prick the holes then drilled them by eye.

This version got tossed.

Made up the fuel bungs for the tank, the inlet is 1/4" NPT and the vent is 1/8" NPT. Made those up and then had a big welding party on the tank and finally sealed it up for good.

My McMaster order didn't come in in time so I couldn't work on the shifter. Hopefully tomorrow.

Nessmuk
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #328
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I know I said I would update daily so my apologies. Been working feverishly to check things off my list. What I have noticed is that I put things on the list, big things. But then I get them done and replace the list with smaller things. So it's a good sign when the 15ish things on the list are relatively small and easy to do.

One thing that has been on the list forever is to thread the swingarm bolt for an M16 nut. Now this might not sound like a big deal to a machinist but I hate threading. Mostly because I do it once a year maybe and have zero confidence. As such I have been putting this job off for months. I finally ordered the nut and used my lathe at home for the task as it has the correct gearing for metric threading.

I turned a piece of aluminum down to 16mm and ran a test. Worked awesome and I got a perfect thread, zero slop. OK only downhill from here

So I chucked up the swingarm bolt and went to it. This shaft is pretty hard so I was taking light cuts. If you've never done threading, especially metric like me, this is a very stressful lathe operation. Fortunately I have a brake on the lathe and can stop it instantly.

Nailed it. Another perfect thread, now I can relax for the rest of the year. I swear I would rather fabricate anything, ANYTHING instead of threading.

On other bike news let's see...

Swapped out the low fender for a high mount, like it much better looks badass

Pressed out the stem I made and machined a spacer to space the lower triple clamp away from the steering tube as it was a little close for comfort.

While I had the stem off I also machined a groove for a snap ring by grinding down a tool to 6mm. Reassembled.

Changed the rearsets around by moving the rear master cylinder to the back of the plate. Had to weld up some holes and retap for the new holes. Works better as the MC is protected.

Welded the rearset plates to the frame. I also braced the ends back underneath the frame crosmember to triangulate it. It's massively rigid, zero flex.

Welded a tab for the exhaust can clamp to attach to.

Welded the subtank completely including all bungs. I am not going to end up using that AN fuel line, it's too bulky and won't take the right bend to get up to the tank and I don't want to be putting stress on the fittings esp the aluminum tank. I bought some Buna-N hose from McMaster and some NPT barbed fittings and will use those.

I got the rod ends from McMaster to start the shifter linkage. I plan to try and use the shifter I originally had made for the CBR as I had an extra. If the mockup goes well I will make a new one on the waterjet. The plan is to run double bearings with a shoulder bolt to a rod end linkage to the original shifter (which is reversed like a sportbike). It'll make more sense when I post up pics tomorrow

Here's the sorta final project list, most of these are fairly simple straightforward things. I BELIEVE I have gotten all the hard tasks out of the way, the stuff that causes you to walk away from a project and mothball it for a couple months. Hopefully I can get to the wiring his weekend, maybe fire it up next week...

Finish shifter
Weld tank bungs (Main tank)
cover and refoam seat
Hook up the trail tech to bikes wiring
Seal the case crack with loctite
Weld swingarm bosses
Make rear fender
Brake pedal adjuster
Steering Stops
Weld angle to subtank

Nessmuk
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #329
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
when I ran cnc,they used a spotter before the drill,like a countersink with the same angle as a drill(126degrees I think) so when you drop your drill in there it just sets up (centers the hole)nicely,they are cheap from Enco .
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #330
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
when I ran cnc,they used a spotter before the drill,like a countersink with the same angle as a drill(126degrees I think) so when you drop your drill in there it just sets up (centers the hole)nicely,they are cheap from Enco .

I've got center drills is that what you mean? I've seen spot drills but don't have any.

Alright, mid day progress report. And coffee break

Finished the shifter. Very happy with how it came out. I have 2 sealed bearings in the shifter, pressed in. The pivot axis is a 10mm shoulder bolt. The actual shifter was one of the 2 I had made last year for another bike. I polished it up with a scotchbrite pad on the grinder. The linkage to the stock shifter is 1/2" aluminum rod tapped for M6 rod ends. Which are bolted on to their respective perches. I drilled a bunch of holes on the stock shifter 12mm apart to see what the "action" was. Fortunately it was the last one I liked best so I kept it and cut the rest of the arm off. It's a nice crisp shift. And the shifter is very solid, barely any wiggle.

Got the subtank bolted in. I had to angle it slightly to gain some clearance with the shock. Drill and tapped into the frame. I have some thin neoprene that will go between for cushioning.

The new brake location. Not sure why it looks like crap, maybe the camera. Looks much better in person.

Latest shot of the bike with the high fender

Nessmuk