User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
TogaPete OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
800xc suspension upgrade advice needed

I'm looking into upgrading the oem suspension with Progressive fork springs and the progressive 465 rap rear. Are Progressive suspensions a good choice? If not what would be the better choice?

I'm 6'3 225lbs and ride both street and dirt. I plan to do some touring with loaded panniers, figure 80-100 lbs additional. I would like some front adjustability if possible.

Progressive springs are about $100 (not adjustable)
Progressive 465 RAP rear is about $625 (adjustable)

Some have talked about WP, others about Ohlins. I haven't found a thread or site that really compares the pros and cons of the various manufacturers of 800xc aftermarket suspensions.

What advice can you offer?
TogaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
wl650klr
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tiger 800 suspension

Talk to the guys that run the Truimph store in Las Vegas. They race Tigers off road/desert riding. Good bunch and very knowledgable.

Rod

2013 Tiger 800XC
Northern BC
Canada
wl650klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Ply318ci
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I had my forks down by Precision Concepts, the Baja racing guys. I love them, and at 6 foot 3 inch and 215lbs we are pretty close in comparison. I also run the Touratech Rear shock, fully adjustable in every way, love it. Not sure if that helps.
Ply318ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Vegas800XC
lurker

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl650klr View Post
Talk to the guys that run the Truimph store in Las Vegas. They race Tigers off road/desert riding. Good bunch and very knowledgable.

Rod

2013 Tiger 800XC
Northern BC
Canada
+1
Mark or Brad or Craig will give good input. I think Brad's bike has progressive setup and he is not a small guy
Vegas800XC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
TogaPete OP
Adventurer

Update...

I paid the deposit on new Progressive front springs and a Progressive 465 RAP rear setup. I'll post photos and findings when it's all done. I'm hoping for a lot less bounce in the front end and much better rebound from the rear. At 215lbs (down from 230lbs) I still feel like the OEM rear is just not enough. I'd guess 190 is the top end they design for, is that a reasonable assumption?

More to follow...
Old 04-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
TogaPete OP
Adventurer

Progressive front and rear installed

I had the new Progressive front springs and rear 465 RAP installed this week. I wanted to do the install but had my labrum repaired yesterday so had to have the work done at the shop. I had the work done at the Triumph of Westchester, they're a great bunch and do good work.

I had a 45 mile ride home and wow what a huge improvement. The ride is incredibly better. The end of winter mess that are our roads here were so jarring on the OEM suspension that each ride was a bit of a gamble. The new suspension absorbed the potholes and cracks almost completely. I felt better crossing the Tappan Zee than any ride prior.

Braking felt better up front due to the increased stiffness and function of the progressively designed front springs. Cornering was much more stable and hard acceleration resulted in very little tail drop.

I'm down to about 215 lbs and felt that the oem suspension was not adequately sprung for my weight. It was definitely soft going over whoops and bumps at speed. I won't be able to ride in the dirt until July and when I do I'll post a review.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
Vegas800XC
lurker

Oddometer: 88
Thumb

Great to hear! Just in time for summer
Vegas800XC is offline   Reply With Quote