User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
starone OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Test ride XCx

Perhaps it was just not being use to the bike but is first gear on the bike like crazy tall? I was feathering out the clutch with very little throttle and it would stall all most every time I did it. Seem like you need to have quite a bit of throttle to get the bike going. This was my first time riding a triple perhaps that is part of it.

I am 6' tall and the bike seemed kind of cramped with my knees way high. Defiantly needs bar risers. Also I did not get much time to play with it but the process of changing modes other then the button on the dash did not seem overly intuitive.

The motor was crazy smooth had descent power. Cruised are 80 with no issues.

Debating on getting one...
starone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
Protist
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi, this is my first time at this board but I've been riding motorcycles for over 10 years. I've never ridden the Tiger (I'm trying to sell my old bike to pick one up near the end of this year) but what you might have ran into is the fact that the bike's idle speed was maybe lower than what you're used to.

You can adjust this usually very easily on most bikes, some bike manufacturers have the idle speed down low so you have to really roll onto the throttle when you shift into first to get going...others have a higher idle speed so you don't need much throttle input at all to get her moving.

Anyway, how did your test ride go? I'm actually seriously debating whether or not the riding modes are absolutely necessary. I know it's crazy to even think about buying the non 'extreme' version of these bikes but I may just go with the lower model. Did you change the modes at all?
Protist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Supposed to pick my XCx up tomorrow. :-D Can't wait. Damn work thing!!!

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by starone View Post
Perhaps it was just not being use to the bike but is first gear on the bike like crazy tall?

This is my major complaint with the Tiger 800's. The transmission definitely needs to be a wider ratio. Other than this, I love the bike.
2010 KTM 990 SMT
2007 Suzuki DR650
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I bought an XCx a couple weeks ago. First gear is tall. I haven't stalled mine yet though. In fact, it has more torque at lower RPMs than the bike I traded in for it, so I find I am using less throttle to get going. It is kinda funny, because I also have a DR650. I can take off much faster in first gear with the DR, but the tiger has so much more power it is no contest once it gets rolling.

Part of the reason I bought the bike is I liked the seating postion and knee angle. My first thought was, "hey I might NOT need to add bar risers on this one". I am 6' with 34" inseam. Everyone needs to determine their own comfort though.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Mattb4rd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by starone View Post
Perhaps it was just not being use to the bike but is first gear on the bike like crazy tall?
Yes, yes it is. My wife and I rode two up today and I warned her that it would sound like I was revving for a drag race from a stop.

You get used to it. It likes 3-4K RPM from a dead stop.
1973 Honda CL350 Scrambler (retired)
Mattb4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
This is my major complaint with the Tiger 800's. The transmission definitely needs to be a wider ratio. Other than this, I love the bike.

Swap out the CS. Cheap and easy.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 AM   #8
babble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Swap out the CS. Cheap and easy.
what's the CS?
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #9
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Front sprocket.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
SkyOrDie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I agree. First gear is a bit tall on my XRx. It's ok for me, but I would definitely want a lower gear for more off road use. I would have thought they'd put wider ratios in an adventure bike.
SkyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #11
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyOrDie View Post
I agree. First gear is a bit tall on my XRx. It's ok for me, but I would definitely want a lower gear for more off road use. I would have thought they'd put wider ratios in an adventure bike.
This is the one big flaw they should have fixed when they updated the Tiger. Until they do, I have no interest in a new one. I went down a tooth on the CS with my 2011 XC, but it could be lower.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
starone OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I thought they would of addressed it with the update. I currently have a Super Tenere and it just chugs along with little throttle. Twin compared to a Triple I would suppose, and gearing. Still thinking about getting one. Do not get me wrong I love my Tenere great bike, I off road it quite a bit..... but getting the bug for something new. Silly I know.
starone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
This is the one big flaw they should have fixed when they updated the Tiger. Until they do, I have no interest in a new one. I went down a tooth on the CS with my 2011 XC, but it could be lower.
The gear ratios that Triumph selected are too close between gears, too tall first gear and too short 6th gear for the bike's intended purposes, all well documented.

However, as delivered in the US, Tigers' fuel injection is calibrated quite lean at low RPMS and low throttle openings, leading to the difficult take-of from dead stops, as described in the posts above. The solution is to enrichen the fuel mixture.

There are various ways at achieving this objective: download the 'Arrow map' into the bike's ECU, dyno tuning with Tune ECU, Boosterplug (http://www.boosterplug.com) or the Power Commander method described here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965753, which is what I did.

I continue to be very pleased with the Power Commander farkle, however the Boosterplug method appears to achieve the same performance at lower cost and with less effort.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 351
Note to Mods

This post about Tiger 800 (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965753) has erroneously been moved to the Land of the Rising Sun sub-thread; please move it to the British Invasion sub-thread.

Thanks,

WD
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,587
Hmmm...sounds like noobish riders, no offense. The taller first is something you get used to very quickly. I stalled mine a time or two in the beginning and then that was it.

If it was lower then you would complain that you can't get across an intersection without shifting.

BMW addressed this issue with the GS and GSA - the latter has a lower first gear from off pavement riding, while the former is more road oriented. They also put a bigger fuel tank on the GSA.

Changing the counter addresses the taller first gear, but I prefer my 6K rpm 80mph cruise so mine stays stock.

Fueling is extremely smooth on the bike, so you can accelerate from pretty much any gear at any speed.

If you're planning to pick your way amongst the rocks at a trials-bike type speed you chose the wrong bike.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote