Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #256
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Put a switch on it. Run normal lights most of the time and turn on the modulator when you get ready to cross an intersection. Especially in Florida the half awake cage drivers will usually hit their brakes hard, thinking that you are a cop. It works, and it's legal.
On the other hand, I've also heard of cases in which drivers pulled out in front of an oncoming headlight-modulator-equipped bike because they thought the rider was flashing them to indicate they could go.

Personally I think a better way to increase your visibility would be to run really bright auxiliary lights.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #257
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 896
NEW version of the City?

I bought a city tank bag a couple of years ago for an FJR and loved it. I sold it with the bike. Mine had a different top. Mine was flat with a phone pocket and this one is slightly raised. I guess they changed it recently. This one looks better than the flat top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
Here you go! Fits like it was made for it.
It's the perfect size. Big enough for daily outings without looking like the mini fridge from Triumph.
2013 800XC

Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #258
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Suspension

Is Suspension a Farkle?
Looking for what can be done to upgrade the suspension on these XC800.
I understand it is a weak point.. currently considering getting a XC800 if I get a job in Singapore.. I'm wanting a good all around and versatile bike that will do well in a big city, handle the bad roads up into Malaysia and Thailand and will do reasonably well on easier dual track/single track stuff. Entry price is is important as vehicles in Singapore are about 2X-3X expensive so need a bike that can do multiple duties. I can import a bike there but it can't be more than 3 years old.

My current bikes are KTM 950ADV, S2R1000 Ducati Monster and a Harley FatBob
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #259
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat View Post
Is Suspension a Farkle?
Looking for what can be done to upgrade the suspension on these XC800.
I understand it is a weak point.. currently considering getting a XC800 if I get a job in Singapore.. I'm wanting a good all around and versatile bike that will do well in a big city, handle the bad roads up into Malaysia and Thailand and will do reasonably well on easier dual track/single track stuff. Entry price is is important as vehicles in Singapore are about 2X-3X expensive so need a bike that can do multiple duties. I can import a bike there but it can't be more than 3 years old.

My current bikes are KTM 950ADV, S2R1000 Ducati Monster and a Harley FatBob
i wouldn't say its a weak point. its actually very capable. to my knowledge the only options are to have your forks and shock re-worked. Or for the rear there is an Ohlins.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #260
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i wouldn't say its a weak point. its actually very capable. to my knowledge the only options are to have your forks and shock re-worked. Or for the rear there is an Ohlins.

I think I saw somewhere that Progressive has a shock for the Tiger 800, but I'm totally happy with the stock suspension. Coming from a KLR that I had to spend $800+ for a suspension upgrade on, I'm very happy with the Tiger's ride... YMMV
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #261
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Here's a few pictures for those considering the different Bags Connection tank bags. I've got the "GS" tank bag and think it fits perfect for being a bigger bag. The slant on the back is perfect and its big enough to rest against while riding without getting in the way. Also took a pic of the clearance between my bars and the bag at full lock. No issues while riding and doesn't hit my controls. I have the touratech rises so not sure if it would be diff with factory risers.
You can also see my Omni-Cruise in the second pic if anyone is considering that.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #262
Clair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
OEM center stand
OEM Engine guard
Triumph tank bag (for long trips, otherwise Cortech Mini for running around town)
Pelican 40L cases
Givi 52L top case
Battery Tender
Warm and Safe hookup for heated liner

Future stuff ...
New deflectors, perhaps SWM, to replace stock as (noted here) they move and let the clutch lever (in my case) brake.

Heated grips ... not sure on this, may just buy some muffs. With the Warm and Safe liner on and going, hand's don't get that cold. With Muffs I'm sure I'd be fine really.

May put on some kind of "highway pegs" so I can stretch out my legs, short as they are.

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2001 Honda ST1100
Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #263
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
AMES heated grips are awesome an really easy to install. I run them on my Tiger and put them on my wife's bike. That got a nice thank you.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #264
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
What type of adjustability (Compression/Rebound) does the stock suspension have Front/Rear?
If it is not fully adjustable does the aftermarket offer some drop in kits that make it fully adjustable?
What suspension companies have been used to revalve/respring the stockers?

Per my post above I'd be looking at taking one of these to Asia on a long time job and would want to get it setup before shipping.
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #265
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
What type of adjustability (Compression/Rebound) does the stock suspension have Front/Rear?
If it is not fully adjustable does the aftermarket offer some drop in kits that make it fully adjustable?

Per my post above I'd be looking at taking one of these to Asia on a long time job and would want to get it setup before shipping.
I suggest checking out the Race Tech thread in Vendors and contacting them.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #266
fbj913
I ride

Quote:

I would ride one before you decide you want to spend a ton of money on suspension. It's really not bad stock.

Check out the Specs page on the 800XC. It gives you answers on most all specs. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/mo...specifications

Front does not adjust. Rear is adjustable preload and rebound. I'm not sure about aftermarket suspension drop in kits. Sasquatch suspension has been used by a few inmates but I hear (you can search for it in ADV, I do not wish to post the link because of the content discussed) he may or locked up by the big man. Tyson has used him, he talks about it in his thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552

I currently have the Ohlins rear shock on my XC. I may address the front forks this summer. I have replaced the rear shock at around 18,000 miles and will address the front at around 20,000. I ride my bike hard.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #267
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
I currently have the Ohlins rear shock on my XC. I may address the front forks this summer. I have replaced the rear shock at around 18,000 miles and will address the front at around 20,000. I ride my bike hard.
Did you do an Ohlins shock review? Huge improvement over stock? Just curious about your experience with it, since not many have made this mod yet.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #268
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Did you do an Ohlins shock review? Huge improvement over stock? Just curious about your experience with it, since not many have made this mod yet.
I haven't ridden it with the shock installed yet.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #269
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
List of addons....

I've got my bike up for sale, and in the post I've listed all of the addons I've put on it. Other than suspension, I can't really think of anything else you'd need that I didn't put on it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849597

UtahFox screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 09:20 AM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #270
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:

The stock suspension is actually surprisingly good. The forks are not adjustable, but Triumph nailed the settings; I wouldn't bother to adjust them even if I could. As for the rear, I found that slightly increasing preload and decreasing damping works very well for me.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote