Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #781
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Notice it's not called a 'skid plate', cuz it's not. It's a rock guard for the engine sump. It's mounted on rubber studs.

The centerstand is for lifting the bike off the ground.

Mount it anyway...go ride the bike...enjoy. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Thanks. I was under the impression that this piece was going to be much stronger than it really is.

I would have prefered to be able to lift it up and roll it out of the way at the end of the season.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #782
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
New Leo Vince Pipe, BMC Air Filter, and Factory Arrows Tune

Untitled

Air filter was not as easy I as had expected...

Untitled

Untitled

I'm LOVING this setup! The sound and extra power are just right. The Arrows tune fattens it up nicely, but it does make it a bit more thirsty.
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #783
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Yeah, I like the functionality of the storage space they include, but I wish they had an option to just buy the rider's seat. When I got my Sargent for my SV, they included a cover to put over the stock pillion seat so that the two would match. It would be nice if that were an option here as well.
Call Rudy at Sargent, direct. He should be able to help you.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #784
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Anyone familiar with a company called Weiser? I just came across these LED turn signal inserts. Looks like a simple install at a decent price:
http://www.weiserstore.com/triumph/t...m1003-tri.html
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #785
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
New Leo Vince Pipe, BMC Air Filter, and Factory Arrows Tune

Untitled

Air filter was not as easy I as had expected...

Untitled

Untitled

I'm LOVING this setup! The sound and extra power are just right. The Arrows tune fattens it up nicely, but it does make it a bit more thirsty.
Nice! I was looking into that filter as well. Have you considered using the UNI pre-filter as well? I'd love to hear your after-use report of how long it took dirt abuse and how dirty it was.

Good luck!

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #786
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Nice! I was looking into that filter as well. Have you considered using the UNI pre-filter as well? I'd love to hear your after-use report of how long it took dirt abuse and how dirty it was.

Good luck!
I use a DNA air filter (same as that one and the K&N) with the pre-filter as well. After 6000 miles the prefilter was black with dirt but the DNA filter was as clean as it was when I fitted it. Seems their claim that the pre-filter takes 95% of the dirt out is more than true.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #787
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Anyone familiar with a company called Weiser? I just came across these LED turn signal inserts. Looks like a simple install at a decent price:
http://www.weiserstore.com/triumph/t...m1003-tri.html
Not familiar with them but would like to hear your option if you install them.
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #788
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 333
Tiger 800 Fender Extenders

I find it baffling that a motorcycle designed in a country with 160 to 200 days per year of measurable rainfall comes equipped with inadequate fenders. The issue is to prevent spray on the front of the engine and exhaust pipes and especially crud from being deposited all over the rear of the bike and luggage while riding in the rain; form over function, I suppose. As an engineer, I find this approach to design to be disagreeable but usually relatively simple to improve upon.

Pyramid Plastics and Triumph, and probably other suppliers, provide front fender extenders. I went for the Pyramid Plastics version, having had success with this company’s products in the past. Just clean and roughen the surfaces of both the extender and the inside of the fender, use a good quality epoxy, clamp overnight and all’s good:

A rear fender extender presented more of a challenge. Triumph lists a fender extender kit on its web site, variously as P/N A9708214 or PFKL2061167. I placed several orders with both Triumph dealers and non-dealer web sites, only to learn that the kit was not available. One supplier even suggested that Triumph may have pulled the product due to concerns of one sort or another; there may be some truth to this opinion.

I was tempted to design my own rear fender extender but decided to visit the local dealer’s parts department one more time, Foothills Triumph in Lakewood, CO. The counter person got creative: “Yes, the rear fender kit is not available, but that is due to the reflector fasteners being out of stock, the extender itself can be ordered.” Apparently, this is a stock item on Tiger 800s that are delivered to New Zealand and Australia. The part number is T2302037, the price $29 and it was promised to arrive within a week. I was skeptical that it could be that easy, but surprise, surprise, the part came in and was as promised.

There were no instructions in the package nor on the Triumph web site with instructions, which I have used for other OEM parts. On the UK Tiger 800 web site in December of 2011, “tigertom” gave installation instructions. About the only thing that gave tigertom trouble was the need for longer license plate bolts, which was not necessary for my unit, leading to a conclusion that some re-design may have taken place.

So here are my instructions:

First remove the side reflectors and rear reflector, the license plate and two bolts hidden behind the license plate. Then remove the inner fender panel, two bolts. The panel will fall right out in your hands:

Slide the new larger fender extender into the same location as the panel you just removed. It snaps into the existing fender / license plate holder and stays in place, even without fasteners:

Install the two bolts below the seat (the bolts that held in the original inner fender panel) and the center fastener below the license plate, the fastener that held the reflectors in place, use the side reflectors if you wish. There are two additional holes behind the license plate for bolts to tighten the new extender to the existing fender. The bolts that were removed earlier will fit but you will need to provide your own nuts and washers as these bolts fastened on to clip-nuts in the removed inner fender panel and these don’t fit on the new part. Then install your license plate with the same fasteners that you already used for the license plate.

One additional item: the rear deflector. It is held in place by barbed-type washers on two plastic posts on the deflector housing. The barbed washers can easily be removed with a bit of care, using pliers and a flat-bladed screw driver. Slip the reflector on to the new fender extender, re-use the barbed washers and you are all done. Total time for this work should be less than 15 minutes. Pretty good deal for $29 plus tax.

Now for the next form-over-function design flaw: does anybody have a good and solid solution for adding about 3” to the chain guard to prevent chain lube to be slung all over the rear of the bike?
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #789
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I use a DNA air filter (same as that one and the K&N) with the pre-filter as well. After 6000 miles the prefilter was black with dirt but the DNA filter was as clean as it was when I fitted it. Seems their claim that the pre-filter takes 95% of the dirt out is more than true.
Did you see any drop in performance from the pre filter? Also, I'm curious about water intrusion once the air snorkel is removed.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #790
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

I just ordered these 30mm risers from Wild @ Heart

triumphhandlebarrisers

I love the clean look! Has anyone else used them?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #791
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
i love the clean look!
+1
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #792
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Did you see any drop in performance from the pre filter? Also, I'm curious about water intrusion once the air snorkel is removed.
None at all.
It should be better in resisting water as the pre-filter is oiled whereas the snorkel just has big holes.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #793
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Triumph Adventure Tank Bag Tail Mount

I have the factory Triumph Adventure Tank Bag and Mount installed on my 800 XC, but I find that it is better to use as a Tail Mount if I'm not using any luggage. I'm not sure if anyone else has any mounting systems, so I thought I'd share mine.

The magnet on the bag is super strong so I made and test fit a metal plate to see if it would hold in the rear:

Untitled

That worked like a charm so I sprayed it with a rubber coating and riveted it in place:

Untitled

As you can see it is a great fit:

Untitled

Untitled

I also cut off the stock loops and added a couple of straps to the front to secure it:

Untitled

I hope this helps anyone else looking to do the same!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #794
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Dane View Post
I find it baffling that a motorcycle designed in a country with 160 to 200 days per year of measurable rainfall comes equipped with inadequate fenders. The issue is to prevent spray on the front of the engine and exhaust pipes and especially crud from being deposited all over the rear of the bike and luggage while riding in the rain; form over function, I suppose. As an engineer, I find this approach to design to be disagreeable but usually relatively simple to improve upon.

Pyramid Plastics and Triumph, and probably other suppliers, provide front fender extenders. I went for the Pyramid Plastics version, having had success with this company’s products in the past. Just clean and roughen the surfaces of both the extender and the inside of the fender, use a good quality epoxy, clamp overnight and all’s good:

A rear fender extender presented more of a challenge. Triumph lists a fender extender kit on its web site, variously as P/N A9708214 or PFKL2061167. I placed several orders with both Triumph dealers and non-dealer web sites, only to learn that the kit was not available. One supplier even suggested that Triumph may have pulled the product due to concerns of one sort or another; there may be some truth to this opinion.

I was tempted to design my own rear fender extender but decided to visit the local dealer’s parts department one more time, Foothills Triumph in Lakewood, CO. The counter person got creative: “Yes, the rear fender kit is not available, but that is due to the reflector fasteners being out of stock, the extender itself can be ordered.” Apparently, this is a stock item on Tiger 800s that are delivered to New Zealand and Australia. The part number is T2302037, the price $29 and it was promised to arrive within a week. I was skeptical that it could be that easy, but surprise, surprise, the part came in and was as promised.

There were no instructions in the package nor on the Triumph web site with instructions, which I have used for other OEM parts. On the UK Tiger 800 web site in December of 2011, “tigertom” gave installation instructions. About the only thing that gave tigertom trouble was the need for longer license plate bolts, which was not necessary for my unit, leading to a conclusion that some re-design may have taken place.

One additional item: the rear deflector. It is held in place by barbed-type washers on two plastic posts on the deflector housing. The barbed washers can easily be removed with a bit of care, using pliers and a flat-bladed screw driver. Slip the reflector on to the new fender extender, re-use the barbed washers and you are all done. Total time for this work should be less than 15 minutes. Pretty good deal for $29 plus tax.

Now for the next form-over-function design flaw: does anybody have a good and solid solution for adding about 3” to the chain guard to prevent chain lube to be slung all over the rear of the bike?
Nice posting and nice bike.

On the front fender extender: I and most people use the outdoor rated 2 sided tape. It is very tough and is known to last literally forever. Anyway, epoxy works, if you select the right one, but they all aren't created equally.

The rear fender extender is interesting. However, I can see why it's not on US (EU?) market bikes. That's because it doesn't have the side reflectors, which are DOT mandated. That requirement is only for bikes sold and AFAIK is not an owner mandate, but could be in some states.

As to the chain lube, at the risk of sounding snarky, which I'm not trying to be, but you should use a modern chain lube that does not fling off everywhere. The proper chain lubes are rather tidy and have minimal waste. For me, I like to apply it, let it soak/dry and then blow it with my air compressor in one hand and a rag in the other. I rarely lube them on the road, but that's me.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #795
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
I have the factory Triumph Adventure Tank Bag and Mount installed on my 800 XC, but I find that it is better to use as a Tail Mount if I'm not using any luggage. I'm not sure if anyone else has any mounting systems, so I thought I'd share mine.

The magnet on the bag is super strong so I made and test fit a metal plate to see if it would hold in the rear:

Untitled

That worked like a charm so I sprayed it with a rubber coating and riveted it in place:

Untitled

As you can see it is a great fit:

Untitled

Untitled

I also cut off the stock loops and added a couple of straps to the front to secure it:

Untitled

I hope this helps anyone else looking to do the same!
nice and clean, good work
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote