Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #76
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I would like a pic of the Triumph crash bars with Touratech upper crash bars. Just to see if it looks natural or awkward. The happy trails bars look dorky in my opinion but the Holan crash bars match the bikes contours and look more natural I think its important that a farkle match the bikes styling and does not look like an after thought slapped on. The Holan Crash bars are 250 bucks. The Touratech upper crash bar is 200 bucks.
On your photo are unpainted Touratech bars. They are stainless steel. I have same but black version. Same material, just painted. I will take photos today in the evening and will post. I can assure you they are not standing out at all, almost "blending" in unlike unpainted version.
But I had some trouble with them - ones they sent me won't fit, LHS mount hole was 4-5 mm off and I refused to "force fit " it. I complained and they arranged new set of bars and free of charge fitting by distributor to identify and report what was the problem so that it will be corrected in next batches. Distributor mechanics did the work well and confirmed problem and did report for touratech. I hope new sets will be better.
They are VERY smartly made thou. Really well thought. Despite I usually fan of Touratech (at all) this time I was impressed with design.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #77
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The SW Motech crash bars use the same mounting system as the OEM at several points. The OEM gives absolutely zero protection for the radiator and tank. If you are repairing bikes with bent crash bars then they did their job. That kinda goes without saying. If the engine cases were cracked by the crash bars then the same would have happened with the OEM and maybe worse due to other aftermarket bars displacing the force over a greater area.
Can't agree - I guess each to each own.
When I say I fixed bars - I mean bars, that crushed bike, otherwise nor me not my buddies even bother with "fixing" them. My bars (Givi based, fully reinforced DIY) on my previous bike looked like they been through wars - I just spray them from rattle can to prevent rust at damaged areas.
SW not using same mounting structure or principle as Triumph bars. Since their bars protrude way up they have again 2 huge console lugs (at least with crossmember unlike their bars on Strom). There are no adequate "triangles" to distribute forces. Sure, bars supposed to break and bend saving bike indeed. Saving bike - is key there.
Agree, OEM gives zero protection for rad and tank and this is why I used Touratech tank bars together with OEM engine bars.
I believe closest to perfect "one piece" bars are Holans but not sure about console lugs lower part that supposed to protect engine side cases.

As long as it is not H&B bars it will be no big problem anyway. Those are worst for Tiger.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #78
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I know of the incident hes talking about it wasn't the SW Mototech crash bars but the Hepco and Becker bars.

Mine looks identicle to this one Same top and bottom engine bars same rad and light grille's and the same fog lights have got Triumph cntr stand, Triumph screen adjusters work really well with std screen, Givi Trekker panniers 33ltr and 46Ltr top box, removed Triumph heated grips useless fitted the latest Oxford ones much better, got the Rox Risers also great, TKC80s good compromise and look chunky, 660 Zumo Excellent, got the Plastic sump guard will get the Triumph alloy one next,
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #79
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
I am having my machinist modify a set of pegs for me. I have to find a set of pegs with a larger base first. If the optional Triumph pegs are larger then that's what I will use. I will post the results with pics here when I'm done but it will be about a week or two. We basically use stock pegs with a heal platform welded behind them and at a lower position than the peg platform. This is really great for off road while standing. We have used this set up for motocross over the last several years.
before you spend the money on the pegs you better check what they are made of. not all of them are steel... not sure what your machinist is capable of modifying.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #80
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
before you spend the money on the pegs you better check what they are made of. not all of them are steel... not sure what your machinist is capable of modifying.
Should be fine as long as they are not cast. And I certainly hope no one is offering cast foot pegs. The metal is too brittle. Aluminum is too soft. They should all be steel, but can be different types, i.e. chrome moly, carbon, etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #81
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
If you had any trust in that dealer, STOP.

THe OEM heated grips are plug and play, right down to a dedicated plug in the harness. The only potential fiddly bit is snaking the power wires through the bars.

Instructions for all Triumph OEM accessories are online at triumphinstructions.com- look up the part number, go there for the directions to decide if you can do it yourself.
You are correct on all accounts and I knew it before purchasing the heated grips.

The reasons I chose the Oxford units were Oxford's four levels of heat settings vs. only two for the factory Triumph and lower cost. I had already decided to install the fuse box so the factory plug was not a factor either way.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #82
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Can't agree - I guess each to each own.
When I say I fixed bars - I mean bars, that crushed bike, otherwise nor me not my buddies even bother with "fixing" them. My bars (Givi based, fully reinforced DIY) on my previous bike looked like they been through wars - I just spray them from rattle can to prevent rust at damaged areas.
SW not using same mounting structure or principle as Triumph bars. Since their bars protrude way up they have again 2 huge console lugs (at least with crossmember unlike their bars on Strom). There are no adequate "triangles" to distribute forces. Sure, bars supposed to break and bend saving bike indeed. Saving bike - is key there.
Agree, OEM gives zero protection for rad and tank and this is why I used Touratech tank bars together with OEM engine bars.
I believe closest to perfect "one piece" bars are Holans but not sure about console lugs lower part that supposed to protect engine side cases.

As long as it is not H&B bars it will be no big problem anyway. Those are worst for Tiger.
I have the SW Motech bars. My friend has the same bike and the Triumph bars. Both sets use the same mounting holes on the engine from what I see. The mounting points come with the plugs in them and its purposely there for the bar systems to attach. You are correct. They do not share the same the same structure or principal. The Triumph is better in that regard only due to it covering a smaller area that still leaves too much of the rest of the bike exposed. I agree, the Holans look really nice. If its a high speed off, then all bets are off the table for ANY bars. If its low speed or a simple parking lot fall, then I am putting my faith in the SW Motech, Holans, or some other bar system that covers the top as well as the bottom. My friend had a low speed spill and his radiator was damaged due to no upper protection.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #83
hh97
n00b

Oddometer: 5
While I am still waiting for my crash bars from HT, I did get the Omni-Cruise on and love it so far.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403
hh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #84
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have the SW Motech bars. My friend has the same bike and the Triumph bars. Both sets use the same mounting holes on the engine from what I see. The mounting points come with the plugs in them and its purposely there for the bar systems to attach. You are correct. They do not share the same the same structure or principal. The Triumph is better in that regard only due to it covering a smaller area that still leaves too much of the rest of the bike exposed. I agree, the Holans look really nice. If its a high speed off, then all bets are off the table for ANY bars. If its low speed or a simple parking lot fall, then I am putting my faith in the SW Motech, Holans, or some other bar system that covers the top as well as the bottom. My friend had a low speed spill and his radiator was damaged due to no upper protection.
you didn't read my post carefully. I suggessted triumph bars plus touratech tank rad bars.t
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #85
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

damn those smartphone keyboards. I tried to type more,.i meant that i agree about need to protect tnk and rad but nobody seem to read whole setup i proposed. i agree that reasion triumph bar look safer is because they kinda short
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #86
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Another farkle you should consider is the Barkbusters hand guards. The stock XC hand guards collapse in a tip over and can bend and brake clutch and brake levers. I've got a tip broken off one and another bent lever because of this. Both happened within the first two months of owner ship.

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #87
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Hand Guards for Tiger 800 XC

The stock guards on the XC are not sturdy enough. I bent one lever and broke the tip off another level in the first couple months of ownership. If the bike falls over they just collapse and impact the levers causing damage. After market options exist to fix this but not a very large selection.

Touratech Guards go for $130

Bark Busters Guards go for about 165.

Tusk D-Flex Handguard with needed big bar adapter goes for 80 bucks

HDB Billet Handguards go for 150 bucks

Acerbis guards go for 84 bucks.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 06:29 PM
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #88
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

I started another thread to discuss hand guards in more detail http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840845
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #89
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

The Tusk D-Flex Handguards/Spoilers although have a kind of funky look seem to provide the best protection per dollar spent. I like the Barkbusters but not sure they are worth the extra expense given they are twice and much doe as the Tusk D-Flex. The touratech guards seem to be just the spoiler with out a reenforced spine like the Tusk and Barkbuster guards, So probably aren't work the money.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #90
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,510
I swapped out the XC's stock guards for the Barkbusters with Storm shields. I was impressed by how easily they fitted on; I had, in prior installs of handguards, always suffered at least some measure of difficulty or fabrication.