Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #1201
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I have one but on my last long trip I found that my hand kept falling asleep so I stopped using it.
I had the same experience. I found that the edge of it was compressing a nerve at the base of my thumb which was causing the numbness. If I moved my hand further left on the grip I could get that to stop but then I was in an uncomfortable position.

FWIW
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #1202
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I moved mine all the way to right of the grip - it works okay for me as long as I don't have thick gloves on.

If I were thicker gloves or ride on more challenging roads, I rotate it forward until it points down and is completely out of the way for me.

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #1203
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I moved mine all the way to right of the grip - it works okay for me as long as I don't have thick gloves on.

If I were thicker gloves or ride on more challenging roads, I rotate it forward until it points down and is completely out of the way for me.

Where I always use mine. I've never seen one on the inside of the grip.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #1204
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post
Funny -- I find my hand falls asleep without it just by holding the stock grips. I thought at first it may be my glove is too tight, but it could be the grip is too small (I have large hands) -- but, I don't want to give up heated grips for a wider version!

Regards
Craig
Your problem is that the bars are too straight which turns your wrists in at a strange angle. This is cutting off the supply of blood to your hands. If you analyse it, the weight you're putting onto your hands is not on the heel of your hand but is on the thumb muscle. You need bars with more sweep in them. Since swapping mine to Renthal 615-01 I'm in total, all day comfort.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #1205
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Your problem is that the bars are too straight which turns your wrists in at a strange angle. This is cutting off the supply of blood to your hands. If you analyse it, the weight you're putting onto your hands is not on the heel of your hand but is on the thumb muscle. You need bars with more sweep in them. Since swapping mine to Renthal 615-01 I'm in total, all day comfort.
X2, the explorer bars work well also.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #1206
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
There's some truth to this.

I have numerous issues with my wrists and hands (5 surgeries completed with 4 more to go). My 1050 has the same flat bend. I don't want to give up my factory heated grips, otherwise I'd experiment with other bends. I've been thinking of going OCC on them, by using a long pipe to bend them to where I want.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #1207
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've been thinking of going OCC on them, by using a long pipe to bend them to where I want.
FWIW this should be pretty easy to do. My bike has been diagnosed with narcolepsy and the bars have bent during it's last episode.

It was pretty easy to get them back into position

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #1208
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
My bike has been diagnosed with narcolepsy and the bars have bent during it's last episode.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #1209
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
FWIW this should be pretty easy to do. My bike has been diagnosed with narcolepsy and the bars have bent during it's last episode.

It was pretty easy to get them back into position
It wouldn't be an orange one, would it? From all the pics I've seen on ADVRider they seem more susceptible to this condition than the other colors.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #1210
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobeyamaGP View Post
It wouldn't be an orange one, would it? From all the pics I've seen on ADVRider they seem more susceptible to this condition than the other colors.
phantom black, maybe they used orange primer

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #1211
Applevalleyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Mirror Extenders

I looked at an old post where someone added these to make his field of view wider. I think he said that he purchased them on Amazon. Amazon does have them, as does EBay, but neither specifies one for the Tiger. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Applevalleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #1212
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
I looked at an old post where someone added these to make his field of view wider. I think he said that he purchased them on Amazon. Amazon does have them, as does EBay, but neither specifies one for the Tiger. Can someone point me in the right direction?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...i-triumph-40mm

I may have a set of these from my old Suzuki. I don't need them on my 800. If you want them, I'll sell 'em to you cheap.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #1213
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,666
Look what showed up... Took a ride yesterday after spoonin' them on but took photos with a different camera (Sorry no pics today). Incredibly smooth for such an aggressive tread, some decent howl at 65-75 but that's expected. Absolutely amazing grip in the dirt!!

Metzeler Karoo 3's front and back

EDIT: Uploaded for your viewing pleasure...

Dubl-A screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 04:25 PM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #1214
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
[QUOTE=Dubl-A;21764003]Look what showed up... Took a ride yesterday after spoonin' them on but took photos with a different camera (Sorry no pics today). Incredibly smooth for such an aggressive tread, some decent howl at 65-75 but that's expected. Absolutely amazing grip in the dirt!!

Look nice but a quick price check was even more than the k-60's. Are they better, longer lasting?

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #1215
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,666
[QUOTE=rustynut2;21764204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Look what showed up... Took a ride yesterday after spoonin' them on but took photos with a different camera (Sorry no pics today). Incredibly smooth for such an aggressive tread, some decent howl at 65-75 but that's expected. Absolutely amazing grip in the dirt!!

Look nice but a quick price check was even more than the k-60's. Are they better, longer lasting?

Not sure, they have only been out for a short time and an even shorter time on my bike (2 days)

There's a youtube video with a guy on a new BMW LC 1200 completes some knarly dual sport trip with these and reviews these highly. Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qy82xJi9Lg

Don't get me wrong I have heard great things about the K60's but I'm not sold on the center strip and how flat the tire profile is. I could order a different size to get the aggressive tread but didn't feel like going that route. IMO these were worth a shot.

When it comes to my bikes/ gear I want to purchase based on my likes, needs and finally my budget, a few dollars usually doesn't make the decision

I'll keep ya'll updated
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote