Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #46
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Flat Squirrel Scooters in Lake in the Hills recently shut it's doors. They were the only authorized SYM dealer in the western burbs. I was really digging the SYM Wolf and was considering getting one next year. I was also checking out the Sach Madass bikes as I like how people have been tuning them.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #47
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Interesting, the OP has not posted in this thread since last year. It would seem he has put this project on the back burner. Personally I found it odd that he never once talked about service, even when others in this thread made suggestions regarding service, he never responded to anything having to do with service. I don't care how much business experience one has, if you have never worked with parts and service at a successful moto dealer, that is where the main challenge will be in starting a new dealership. Even buyers of second tier scooters want a competent dealer service department to work on their bikes.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
It probably just turned out to be not economically feasible in today's economy. Starting a small business has always been risky, it's almost impossible today, with many long established businesses failing.

As for experience, look at John Bloor and Triumph. He was a businessman, and knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles. But he made it a point to educate himself about motorcycles, even went to Japan to study their ways of doing things. But his smartest move was probably in hiring the right people, people with the knowledge, skill, and experience to put it all together. I'm glad he was successful, as we now have some wonderful motorcycles available that we didn't have before.

We lost 3 motorcycle dealers during 2008, and nobody has attempted to start another dealership since. The dealers we have left are just barely hanging on.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #49
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
His Naperville Scooter Facebook page appears to still be active, but it doesn't look like he opened a shop as of yet.

Brooktown Geezer screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 02:08 PM
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #50
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
His Naperville Scooter Facebook page appears to still be active, but it doesn't look like he opened a shop as of yet.
When you ve got scooter from 2009 , 2010 , 2011 still still around it's hard to get a dream into cash. You ve got loads of honda nch 125 , 150 etc still out there. You can find lots of sym scooter from then 2. It's like theres far to many still out there and everyone going its a toy . I can't afford a new toys. With so many old scooter out there it's hard to even consider buying new. 500 bucks vs 2 to 3 grand. 2 grand a trip for 1 month or so.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #51
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
When you ve got scooter from 2009 , 2010 , 2011 still still around it's hard to get a dream into cash. You ve got loads of honda nch 125 , 150 etc still out there. You can find lots of sym scooter from then 2. It's like theres far to many still out there and everyone going its a toy . I can't afford a new toys. With so many old scooter out there it's hard to even consider buying new. 500 bucks vs 2 to 3 grand. 2 grand a trip for 1 month or so.
For me scooters and motorcycles are both toys. For actual transportation I drive an older car. I understand someone with a new $35,000 car/truck with $500or more a month payments, full coverage insurance, and $4 a gallon gas doing a lot of complaining, and considering switching to a scooter. I bought a 2001 model car for $4000, paid cash (no interest) have minimum liability only (very cheap) and it gets 22 city 29 highway mpg. It had 98,000 miles on it when I got it. It has great A/C (an absolute necessity in Phoenix for more than half the year) I've had it for 3 years, it now has 136,000 on it, I expect it to top 200,000. I am a mechanic, and over maintain it, plus I can fix most of the things that might go wrong with it. When it finally does go belly up, I'll do the same thing again. I just can't see spending $40,000 for a new car which will lose 75% of it's value in 5 years. Wait 5 years and then buy it used. Not so hard to use a car when you do it like that. The money I save mostly gets spent on 2 wheeled vehicles of some type, which are mostly a hobby.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote