User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
dirtrulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Planning vacation to the south

Me, the wife, and the dog are planning a vacation around thanksgiving. We are thinking of heading south, from colorado, and are wondering what some good areas are for riding that have free dispersed camping, we have an rv. Am not sure what toys we are bringing. For sure will bring the tiger1050 but am not sure if it is worth it too bring the polaris rzr. Would like to have a few destination in mind so am not planning on spending the whole time in one spot. The wife doesnt like heat so winter time in the only time we have to explore down south.

If anyone has some suggestions that could keep a person entertained for a day or two that would be great. Am trying to work up a rout this week. Like I said would prefer free camping but cheap camping with power would be ok too.

Thanks in advance.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,182
The amount of public land where the Polaris would be fun is very limited down here so the Tiger is probably your best bet. I assume you're planning on the Big Bend area? A lot of the dirt out there can be ran on big bikes from what I've seen. For example the road to Juniper Canyon is for high clearance vehicles and seems like it would be easy on a Tiger. The route up Juniper is a GREAT day hike where you can really see the overlapping of ecosystems. Unfortunately to reach the old ranch house and Fresno Creek it's an overnight yo-yo hike across the Dodson (for most people). That's really neat too if you're up for it and leaves from the same trail head as Juniper Canyon. Neither of these areas can really be accessed easily unless you're hiking the big Outer Mountain Loop or are can get to the remote trail head via SUV or bike.

veriest1 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:58 AM
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,969
The South is pretty big. Can you give us an idea on a general area?
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
dirtrulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At this point there isnt much of a destination. Was looking at getting a map of the texas hill country that butler came out with but other than that I dont know much about the area. Am thinking central texas, maybe Louisiana, never been there. Oklahoma will likely not be very warm. Maybe southern new mexico or arizona. Someplace warm and not completely flat.

Now that I have cleared that up.

Looking to leave the afternoon of the 16th and be back the 25th. So have about nine days. Would like to not spend the whole time driving so am looking at within a couple days drive from denver. If there was enough riding in an area to stay for a few days that would be great. We generally ride around 300 miles a day at most. wife gets grumpy.

Maybe someone has some rides planned for that week, pavement or easy gravel. 2-up on jeep roads isnt much fun and ground clearance is a little low.

At this point we are just spitballing, should have started looking earlier but I wasnt sure I could get the time off until now.

Thanks.

dirtrulz screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 11:13 AM
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
If you are bringing the rzr you should be looking for ATV parks. Texas Hill Country could keep you entertained for a few days on the Tiger with some nice TX State Parks and Privately owned RV resorts in the area to park your RV.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,969
There are a couple of off road parks in Arkansas that are fun on a side-by-side, Superlift OHV in Hot Springs, and Wolf Pen in Mena. There is also excellent street and dirt riding in both areas.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
dirtrulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
If you are bringing the rzr you should be looking for ATV parks. Texas Hill Country could keep you entertained for a few days on the Tiger with some nice TX State Parks and Privately owned RV resorts in the area to park your RV.

What area of texas is hill country?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Your Butler map will show you. Basically anything West of Austin and north towards Glen Rose and all points in between. You will find that Texas is not flat, like you Colorado'ans think it is. Is is also not COLD like your state this time of year. ALso, head to Big Bend for some of the best our Great State has to offer.

We welcome outsiders here. Not like Colorado.haha????
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 627
If you want to see the Hill Country pick a park: Garner, South Llano River...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f.../hill_country/

Reserve on line to make sure you can get a spot. These parks can sell out at the darndest times.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business...ervations/web/

Leave the Polaris at home and bring the Tiger. Pleanty of riding, maybe the Three Twisted Sisters or the Devil's Backbone.

There is lots to see so it is easy to try and do to much.

Enjoy your trip...

m

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,165
I've spent many vacations exploring the hill country and it never gets old. Good state parks for hiking too. Enchanted Rock and Lost Maples are my favorites. If I had a bike like a Tiger I could spend many more vacations exploring new stuff.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
If you buy the Butler Map of the TX hill country and visited, I think you would be quite surprised and very pleased.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,177
Here's a route for the RV... http://goo.gl/maps/CNSii

Base out of Carlsbad, and ride the Tiger to the Caverns, Guadalupe Mnts, and McKittrick Canyon.

Move Base to Big Bend, and ride the River Road to Presidio and explore the park.

Move Base to Leakey, and ride the best parts of the Hill Country.

Millions of alternatives... enjoy.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
dirtrulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Your Butler map will show you. Basically anything West of Austin and north towards Glen Rose and all points in between. You will find that Texas is not flat, like you Colorado'ans think it is. Is is also not COLD like your state this time of year. ALso, head to Big Bend for some of the best our Great State has to offer.

We welcome outsiders here. Not like Colorado.haha????

I kid about texas being flat, I grew up in eastern montana and western north dakota, I know flat.

Not kidding about outsiders. Personally dont think colorado is all its made out to be. I actually like dirt, not tons of it in the colorado mountains, riding rocks gets old fast.

I havent got the map yet, have to find a local place to get it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Big Bend

Long drive but worth the effort. Motorcycle trails, clear rivers great scenery and sky. Do research, trust me
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Big Bend II

Heres a vid pulled from YouTube, its on road but there are several off roads to enjoy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2PBH...e_gdata_player