Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
jaredtowne OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 9
Best place to send off for valve seat replacement?

Hello all,, I purchased a 87 XR600 kind of blindly, the price was right, I was dieing for a street legal bike, have a NY MCY title for it.. Why so cheap? Motor wouldnt turn - period.

I certainly wasnt afraid, I figured for $150 I could rebuild the whole dang motor and still be alright.

I tore it down, popped the head off, and theres the problem, a chunk of exhaust valve seat sitting ontop the dome.

amazingly the bore is still great, nice crosshatching, no scores.,, shiny wiseco piston, some minor imbedding into the head from the chunk, but nothing to write home about.

Now I have never had valve seats replaced - nor had them fail like this, So I am not sure where / how to fix?

I am quite sure no-one in this po-dunk town is going to be able to perform this for me. we have to ship two towns over just to get a bore job!

Some searching referred me to xrsonly... they list "remove and valve seat - each - $60

I assume thats what I need? I tried contacting them, but have yet to hear back yet.

My question for you guys is... Who do you refer? whats the going rate? should I replace all of them or just the damaged one?

thanks!!
jaredtowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtowne View Post
Hello all,, I purchased a 87 XR600 kind of blindly, the price was right, I was dieing for a street legal bike, have a NY MCY title for it.. Why so cheap? Motor wouldnt turn - period.

I certainly wasnt afraid, I figured for $150 I could rebuild the whole dang motor and still be alright.

I tore it down, popped the head off, and theres the problem, a chunk of exhaust valve seat sitting ontop the dome.

amazingly the bore is still great, nice crosshatching, no scores.,, shiny wiseco piston, some minor imbedding into the head from the chunk, but nothing to write home about.

Now I have never had valve seats replaced - nor had them fail like this, So I am not sure where / how to fix?

I am quite sure no-one in this po-dunk town is going to be able to perform this for me. we have to ship two towns over just to get a bore job!

Some searching referred me to xrsonly... they list "remove and valve seat - each - $60

I assume thats what I need? I tried contacting them, but have yet to hear back yet.

My question for you guys is... Who do you refer? whats the going rate? should I replace all of them or just the damaged one?

thanks!!
Send a PM to cyclewizard and see if he does them. If he doesn't then XRsonly my be your only option. Honda doesn't sell replacement seats, so anybody that does it will have to be able to manufacture the seat themselves.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
jaredtowne OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 9
thanks for the response, I sent xrsonly a email asking about prices and turn around time,... This is the response I recieved ; (exact copy & paste)

Quote:
R&r VALVE SEAT IS 60.00 EACH..20.00 A HOLE FOR A 3-ANGLE VALVE JOB.

My email I sent ;

Quote:
Hello, I am interested in having some work done on an 87 xr600 head. one of the exhaust valve seats has cracked and lost a chip. I have no place locally who can do this for me, and was referred to you from a forum.

All I am interested in is shipping the head to you and having that seat taken out, and a new one pressed in. You would receive the bare head, no valves or springs.

What would the price be for the one, or if I had you do all of them (4) .

And what is the turn-around time?

Thank you!

Not a good start, I guess they answered one of my questions,, I didnt ask about the 3 angle job...

I replied asking if there was a phone number I could call to speak with someone.. Hopefully that works better..
jaredtowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
This is the response I recieved ; (exact copy & paste)

R&r VALVE SEAT IS 60.00 EACH..20.00 A HOLE FOR A 3-ANGLE VALVE JOB.

Not a good start, I guess they answered one of my questions,, I didnt ask about the 3 angle job...

I replied asking if there was a phone number I could call to speak with someone.. Hopefully that works better..
Stop and think about it for a minute. How much good will a new valve seat do you if you don't get the seat cut?

Their phone number is right at the top of their web page. http://www.xrsonly.com/

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 782
Personally, I would at the bare minimum replace the 1 bad seat and all 4 valves along with cutting all 4 seats at the same time. It's not like pulling the head off is routine maintenance on the big XR's so it makes sense to me to do it all now and forget about it for a few years. My local machine shop charged me $40 to cut 4 seats.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
thanks for the response, I sent xrsonly a email asking about prices and turn around time,... This is the response I recieved ; (exact copy & paste)

My email I sent ;

Removing and installing a seat is one operation. That doesn't mean it is ready to run. The seat then needs to be cut for the 3 angles and fit to the valves. I don't do motorcycle heads but their prices seem kind of high. I get $30 a seat to remove and replace and $18 a seat for 3 angle valve job (which includes resurfacing valves). I don't think I have cutters small enough for a motorcycle head. What size is the exhaust valve head?
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Send a PM to cyclewizard and see if he does them. If he doesn't then XRsonly my be your only option. Honda doesn't sell replacement seats, so anybody that does it will have to be able to manufacture the seat themselves.

Walter

I have bronze and powered metal seats for the XR's.......if one fell out the others will follow.