User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Sir Dave OP
Big Dave

Oddometer: 67
What are You Using for Bike to Bike Communication

Ok...cut to the chase...Been riding a LONG time. Current bike is 08 GSA. Use bluetooth. Love not being connected to the bike...and for those very very seldom times I am ejected it is REALLY nice not being connected. I am currently running J&M bluetooth (don't hate me) ...bud is running Camos...(older version). What I want most is to be able to QUICKLY let my bud know when something negative (or positive) is happening. I mean like a dog on the right coming out, tire in the lane...pot hole, deep sand, naked woman with a free beer sign....looking for a bluetooth system which affords the ability to get an intercom call out NOW...and not having to wait for intercom connection to occur...a delay in signal...a delay in the intercom function on the most common bluetooth units being used today. (F5, SMH10 etc..). If you have a setup that works like I have described herein I would be very interested in learning what you use and how you use it!!!!
Thanks in advance.
Ride Safe,
dave
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
tree18is
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Very intrested in a reply

Some of these new Motorola walkie talkie's have a "hands free" communication option.

IM wondering if the Mic would pick up and transmit the wind noise the whole time.
Also if I could get a grip switch that allowed Push to talk would be nice too.

Just thinking about a little cheaper option to the chatterbox and besides, in the end if it didn't work you could always use the walkie's in another way.
anyone else have experience with a walkie based communication method?
xr500 *the reason im here*
tree18is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
BT Interphone. Cheap and works awesome.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 892
Sena SMH-10 bluetooth unit, Sena SR-10 two way adapter, FDC 5 watt radio, PTT mounted on the left hand grip.

Heaps more range than Bluetooth and works regardless of what radio or bluetooth system others I want to talk too are using.
And I can contact emergency services if the need arrises
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)

MudratinOz screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 01:04 PM
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,606
Rude gestures.

My primary riding partner (my wife) and I discuss bike 2 bike commo at least three times a year . . . .we've always asked the question "have we missed anything important due to the lack of voice commo." So far, the answer is no.

Add to that, visit any motorcycle forum, and some of the longest threads seem to be involving complex commo lashups on bikes that don't quite meet the rider's requirements . . . . . . .

But I hope you find something that works for you!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
tree18is
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Sweet

With the blue tooth is the communication instant? And you need service to huh?
xr500 *the reason im here*
tree18is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Radio Option

If your interested in a radio solution here's the info and links to order.

Here it is for about 50 bucks.

And the headset for 18 bucks on ebay

Another better quality option for 60 Bucks (MC-753)

If you already have a Bluetooth headset you can connect the radio to it via Bluetooth with this adapter.

It goes for 125 bucks. Its a push to talk button you mount and it bluetooths to the radio. So no wires and you get the added benefit of your Bluetooth headsets noise filter which cleans up your comms. This set up is going to work over a much larger distance than bike to bike bluetooth options. Plus allows you to work with vehicles etc. The radio also works with those GMRS radios you can get at department stores.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:37 PM
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Hand signals.

You only really need "pull over, we need to talk" sorted out before you set off.

In all seriousness though, you can establish quite complex communication that can be done with one hand whilst still riding and is visible from the bike behind you.

I can communicate:
Look out, police/speed trap.
Look out, something on the road.
Slow down.
Wow, look at that.
Shall we go down that road/trail?
I want to stop for food.
I want to stop for fuel.
Turnaround.
I'm leaving/going home.
You, turn off/leave here.
Pull over when you get a chance.
Stop immediately.
Some off your luggage fell off/is loose or something fell off your bike.
Film this.
Yes.
No.
Idiot/Tosser/you have displeased me.
Pass me.
Speed up.
Cancel you indicator/your indicators aren't working/you're not indicating.

I also have a signal for "let me pass" (from behind the rider) which allows me to get in front to then communicate (using the above) to the rider in front. I can then watch my mirrors for their response.

That covers most bases for things that need to be said whilst riding.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
Sena SMH-10 bluetooth unit, Sena SR-10 two way adapter, FDC 5 watt radio, PTT mounted on the left hand grip.

Heaps more range than Bluetooth and works regardless of what radio or bluetooth system others I want to talk too are using.
And I can contact emergency services if the need arrises
+100 on this set up. I've tried most everything and this works best us. Only we use 2 meter ham radios with 5/8 wave mobile antennas for even more range. Hard to beat.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,117
I bought the Scala Q2 system a couple of weeks ago. So far, I have been wholly dissatisfied with it. The automatic sound level adjuster doesn't work for shit. Even on the loudest setting, I can't hear anything intelligibly going faster than about 50mph without plugs. With plugs, I pretty much can almost never hear anything clearly. I'm at the point where I think that I either got a dud and need to contact the warranty department... Or just get rid of it and forget about bluetooth commo until it gets better.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

A few pics of my set up, which I'm basically happy with atm

So what I have now looks a bit like this

Rear mount antenna

SR-10 two way adapter and FDC FD45a 5w 80 channel radio

PTT mounted above left hand grip

I'm not impressed with the amount of wind noise I transmit above 90 klm, so plan to look into a throat mic when funds/time permit
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I bought the Scala Q2 system a couple of weeks ago. So far, I have been wholly dissatisfied with it. The automatic sound level adjuster doesn't work for shit. Even on the loudest setting, I can't hear anything intelligibly going faster than about 50mph without plugs. With plugs, I pretty much can almost never hear anything clearly. I'm at the point where I think that I either got a dud and need to contact the warranty department... Or just get rid of it and forget about bluetooth commo until it gets better.
Not a dud, more like a POS. I have the same effin issues and Scala is no help at all. I've been using Scala products since 2005. I will never buy another of their products due to SH!TTY customer service over this POS product

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
A few pics of my set up, which I'm basically happy with atm

So what I have now looks a bit like this

Rear mount antenna

SR-10 two way adapter and FDC FD45a 5w 80 channel radio

PTT mounted above left hand grip

I'm not impressed with the amount of wind noise I transmit above 90 klm, so plan to look into a throat mic when funds/time permit

Great work that's the basic idea i have except your set up cost more. Bluetooth headset, radio and Bluetooth adapter to connect the radio to the headset. Is the PTT button an accessory to the Sena? Also can you tell use more on your antennae setup?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Not a dud, more like a POS. I have the same effin issues and Scala is no help at all. I've been using Scala products since 2005. I will never buy another of their products due to SH!TTY customer service over this POS product
Guess I should consider myself lucky bc mine works great. Took me some time finding out the perfect placement of the speakers (otherwise its useless bc sound is very faint) but finding the sweet spot makes it pretty loud and taking calls etc = no problem. Yet to try it with a GPS but works great with my iPhone and Mapquest turn by turn promps.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Great work that's the basic idea i have except your set up cost more. Bluetooth headset, radio and Bluetooth adapter to connect the radio to the headset. Is the PTT button an accessory to the Sena? Also can you tell use more on your antennae setup?
Yes PTT comes with the two way adapter (SR-10)

some info on the antenna

"A 3dB gain flexible dipole tuned for 477Mhz UHF CB.

This antenna has a chromed brass ferrule which fits a standard S)-239 type base.

The antenna will fit our SO-239 base and lead assembly or will fit imported SO-239 bases.

When used with a suitable adaptor it will fit directly on a handheld radio and will significantly improve range performance."