User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
AltRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
AltRider's Riding Impressions for the Husqvarna TR 650 Terra

Hello everyone, Erik here with AltRider. Here at AltRider we've been fortunate enough to spend some time with the new TR650 Terra from Husqvarna. After checking out this bike in Germany at the Intermot show we realized that this bike was everything but your average dual sport. Upon further research of distribution and general quality of this awesome machine, we reached out to our contacts at Husqvarna USA and they graciously agreed to lend us the bike for a couple of weeks. Were taking full advantage of this time with the Terra and have already started development on several new parts. Weve spent a bit of time riding and testing out the bike in everyday riding conditions. Here's a sneak peak at what is coming soon from AltRider and a brief overview of our experience with the TR650 so far.

Engine:
This engine is smooth and I really like how it builds power all the way until redline. Its not the most powerful but its enough to rip a nice wheelie in first from a stop light and definitely enough to keep up with and overtake traffic on the freeway. My one gripe with this motor has to be when its idling. The motor feels like it likes higher RPMs and when sitting in traffic, the bike has the tendency to stutter and sometimes even die if you dont manage the clutch well. But dont let me discourage you! I was able to pull the bike forward in any gear at all speeds, in a smooth manner.

Clutch & Transmission:
Once again, all I can say is smooth. The shifting is smoother than most other 650cc dual sports out there and the clutch is like butter. This bike comes with a super wide transmission that makes everyday commuting on the freeway awesome. You can cruise this little bike at 90mph and it has a 5 speed which is surprising because not many bikes come with a 5 speed nowadays.

Suspension:
Adequate for street riding but there isnt any significant adjustments you can make. It will be fine on the off-roads but it may need some refinement.

Handling:
Very well balanced and easy handling at high speed and at low speed. Its a simple bike to ride, which makes it great for a variety of skill levels.

Brakes:
They stop you in a hurry and you can slide the rear by locking it up anytime you want to. No silly ABS to turn on and off or worry about.

Ergonomics:
Im 58 and this bike is very comfortable to me. However, I do think the seat height is a bit too high. On bigger CC ADV bikes, I find it easier to touch ground than it is with this smaller and light machine. If it were my personal bike, I would just switch the seat out.

Controls:
Everything is pretty straight forward and I like it except the placement of the horn and turn signal buttons. I find myself constantly hitting the horn when going to turn of the turn signals. I also would like the clutch and brakes to come with more adjustment.

Build Quality:
Its a solid BMW build quality which Ive come to know and love. The bike starts up and runs like a dream. Everything feels sturdy and high quality.

Looks:
Just look at it! This is a very cool looking machine.

Off-Road Thoughts:
Bike is light, powerful, and easy handling. The turning radius is also super tight and the bike is well balanced so off-road it naturally does well. It does have a wide gear box so unless you are sticking to gravel fire roads, you might have to mind your clutch and gearbox a bit more than you would like to.

Short Distance & City Commuting Thoughts:
This bike is almost perfect for this type of scenario. Light, and super agile, traveling on the roads, alleys, and anywhere a commuter goes will be a breeze. Plus if you need to hop on the freeway, youll be fine because of the powerful motor and wide ratio gearbox.

Long Distance Travel Thoughts:
This bike is unfortunately not very well suited for long distance. The seat is comfortable for a young guy like me but most would find this annoying at long distance. You can expect little to no wind shield in the rain and cold weather. Its been a bit of an endurance challenge just to ride this to work (40 miles for me). However, have no fear! This is where AltRider comes in as we will offer accessories to better accommodate this bike for travel.

Pros:
Strong motor
High Quality
Great Appearance
Incredible price
Light and agile
Cons:
Funky when on idle
No windshield

What accessories will AltRider offer for this machine? (Some are available now)
Crash Bars
Skid Plate
Radiator Guard
Luggage Rack
Rear Brake Master Cylinder Guard (available now)
Rear Brake Reservoir Guard
Voltage Regulator Guard
Side Stand Foot

Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
MichaelInVenice
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This is great news. The luggage rack is pretty important for anybody planning to use it for even short distance travel, and even for many of us who will use it for commuting. Some options other than the manufacturer's choice of topbox are really needed, and if you get this one out quickly, you may beat the manufacturer's own options, which are not yet available. For now, I'm going to repurpose an old inexpensive top-box with "generic" mount, but would love to have something more bike-specific.

MichaelInVenice screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 01:49 AM
MichaelInVenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I stop reading your report at "silly ABS"
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
toyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223

???? No ABS....That was the best part......

Need some bag mounts and some crash guards ASAP
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 221
Crash bars coming ?

I think crash bars are the only things which don't seem to be offered yet by any aftermarket manufacturers yet. Any idea when you might have something on the market ? Radiator protection (from side impact) is really needed on this bike.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Jeremy L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Just wanted to give an update...

The crash bars will be ready as soon as 4 to 6 weeks. We'll have photos of the prototype up soon.

AltRider.com
Jeremy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
I stop reading your report at "silly ABS"
Who knows with the KTM sale what happens with this bike, but if it survives I'm waiting for the ABS version.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Who knows with the KTM sale what happens with this bike, but if it survives I'm waiting for the ABS version.
First, not a KTM sale but a sale to a company owned by the CEO of KTM and separate form the company that owns part of KTM also partially owned by the CEO.

From what I have read BMW will not be supplying engines or parts to Husqvarna in the future. This says to me that the Terra is a one year model. A whole lot of news stories to sort through on CafeHusky.com. On the positive side there is a planned revamp of the model line-up.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
First, not a KTM sale but a sale to a company owned by the CEO of KTM and separate form the company that owns part of KTM also partially owned by the CEO.

From what I have read BMW will not be supplying engines or parts to Husqvarna in the future. This says to me that the Terra is a one year model. A whole lot of news stories to sort through on CafeHusky.com. On the positive side there is a planned revamp of the model line-up.
Really? Everything that I have read stipulates that" the new company has access to all parts manufactures currently available to husky."
Where did you read your info?

Thanks and cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
this has to be a very difficult decession bike for aftermarket companies to commit to or not. it's selling well but... if klxmac is correct then they would be comfortable making parts for this bike, but if switchback is correct then they might not want to commit R&D $ on a short lifecycle bike. this thread seems to say the current bike stays the same moving forward: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr6...concern.30380/

altrider, what is your perspective on this?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 06:12 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
Really? Everything that I have read stipulates that" the new company has access to all parts manufactures currently available to husky."
Where did you read your info?

Thanks and cheers
Parts yes, Husqvarna will have to arrange a supplier but complete engines for another model year not likely. Hundreds of posts on cafehusky.com.

Wind is strong and cold
I live on two wheels
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Quote:
Interview Manfred Grunert BMW Motorrad about Husqvarna
Thursday, January 31, 2013

(web translation)
Today Nieuwsmotor.nl talked with Manfred Grunert, Head of Product Communications BMW Motorrad. "I can now announce that BMW Group indeed will sell Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG for an undisclosed sum. This is subject to approval by the competition authorities, we expect that within a month can be completed. Due of the enormous drop in the offroad market, BMW has decided to focus purely on BMW Motorrad, so onroadmodellen of over 600cc. never say never, but in the short term, BMW will therefore not return in the offroad segment.

The new owner will be responsible for the service of the sold Husqvarna's. At the moment he takes over the brand will immediately cease all involvement of BMW, which also applies to supply engines and parts for current models. All "expat" employees from Germany at BMW are still on the payroll and will therefore return to BMW. The employees of Husqvarna'll just stay in service.

We do not feel this as a loss of face but as a logical decision after the collapse of the offroad market. I know the circumstances under which other major engine manufacturers withdrew from an Italian company, but for us this is not an issue. Your remark that this is very costly for BMW I can not answer, as you know we do not talk about the sums of money. "
This is my source: http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/motornieuw...husqvarna.html

The update says that parts will be available.

Wind is strong and cold
I live on two wheels

switchback screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:52 AM