Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldfamily View Post
WOW!!! You lucky bastard, awesome roller coaster of an adventure your on!!! I liked your youtube video. Looks like you got a hell of a work out in that deep sand! Between that and getting stuck on that killer mountain trail I think you burned a calorie or 2! Can’t wait to read the rest.
It's a good thing I brought extra calories
Good to here from you, as you can see the bike is serving me very well.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

This is the first time I've had internet access and wanted to make sure everyone back home knew I was OK, so a mass e-mail went out and I set off for the day.
Looks like it's going to rain.

I find a taco stand on the side of the road in Cativina and take in the local cuisine.

I love Mexican food, I might be wrong on this, but the road side stands seem to be the best.

Then water the thirsty beast.

Take the turn off to Coco's Corner at El Pedregoso and look who I find.

Ironically they where wondering if they'd see me again about the time they see this lone rider making his way down the road. They're happy to hear that I haven't had any more mishaps and let me know that Coco is home.

Pulling into Coco's, he and his friend are starting to work on a quad that was given to him. They ask "do I know anything about these things?".
"Sure, let me get my tools"
Coco " Where are you going?"
Me "Cabo then to Mainland"
Coco "Your going the wrong way"
Me "I know, I came down here to see you"
Coco looks surprised and gets a big smile on his face.
A short time later the quad is torn down and put back together, but this time it's running. Just a dirty carb. I stayed for a beer and he tries to get me to stay and work on another, but I decline. It's time to get moving again.

The happy Coco

On my way back out the winds are getting strong, not that a picture tells that story.

I head back to the highway to find the gloomy skies are still on this side of the peninsula.

I'm still new to the GPS thing, but feel I'm learning quick, but not quick enough as I past up one of my way points by 30 miles. I debate on whether or not to go back and ultimately decide to return. You never know when you'll be back in the area.
So I head back.

It's hard to be impressed when time has taken over to the extreme and now you've traveled 60 miles. 30 one way and then 30 back.

The only standing building, but also in bad shape.

I watch the GPS closely as to not miss the next way point and make the turn off to Mission Borja. A very rutted up road that doesn't seem like it gets much traffic, I wonder if this will be in ruins as well.

This is incredible.
Warning, Lots of pics.

I walk around the outside.

A lady comes walking across the property and with a hand gesture invites me in and gives me a tour.

I told you there'd be photos.

The 250 years of wear.

Their feet most have been smaller back then.

The original mission

This is what I was looking for, I love exploring stuff like this. I drop some money in the donation box and start to get ready to leave when the lady who gave me the tour looks at me and says "Vaya con Dios".
I almost laughed after a long pause.
I had always thought if anyone said that to me it would be a sombrero wearing hombre with a big bushy mustache and shiny pistols strapped to his sides.
I leave and the excitement level I carry now is about to explode.
One happy Booger

My plan is to now go to Guerrero Negra for the night, but I run into some guys prerunning for the race and tell me not much too see there and say I should go on to San Ignacio and tell me where to get a room. I'm concerned about the distance in relation to the sun sinking. They say I should be fine. So against my better judgment, I head to San Ignacio.
I'm running close to 100mph and it gets dark, and still no lights to be seen in the distance.
I finally pull into town around 9:00, find the hotel they recommended, but I feel that's too much. I head back out to the main road and the beginning of town to Rice and Beans, for a room and food, and of course wifi to let everyone now I'm ok. It's not like me to ride into the night like that.
Maybe they were getting some kinda kick back.

This is the next morning

booger1 screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 12:46 PM
Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Glad you are ok....

I am glad you ok and back on the road. Thanks for great pictures and cool video. Ride safe and enjoy Baja I will be down in In couple week
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
I am glad you ok and back on the road. Thanks for great pictures and cool video. Ride safe and enjoy Baja I will be down in In couple week
Thanks for your well wishes. I hope you have a great time.
This was the first time I've done any video, so I'm glad everybody seems to like it so far.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

The next morning I make my way into the centro of San Ignacio to watch the morning come to life.

The centro is where everybody goes for the community activities, in this case they where checking blood pressure and soon the kids show up for school and start running around, probably causing high blood pressure to some. These kids are interested in me, but I find it hard to get a picture of them. This must have been where the concept of Speedy Gonzales started.

The older kids wear different uniforms.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I set off for Volcan Las Tres Virgenes and it's not long before the volcano comes into view and it's lava rocks.

I ride down the road and pull into the ranger station. As I'm ready to start walking up to the observation platform a man comes out and invites me inside the station house.

He speaks perfect English. I find this funny at this point of the trip because everyone I meet who can speak English admit to not speaking it very well. We talk for about 3 hours.
I ask about the volcano and he tells me that they have tapped into it's thermal steam source and are able to supply 3 cities with electricity, then he starts talking about his passion and why he is here, which is to protect the big horn sheep.

The large deep rings in the horn are how they're able to tell age, like a trees rings.

We talk more about the Mexican politics and other various things that might help the world be a better place, but knowing that this is just talk and will most likely never happen. I get an invite to come back and he'll take me out with the big camera to shoot some big horn sheep.

I figure after 2 hours it's probably time for me to get moving, but the conversation continues for another hour. He gives me his e-mail address and phone number and tells me to call him if I run into any trouble. Pretty nice guy.
And I make my way back to the Sea of Cortez.

I'm starting to get a little bored traveling on asphalt so I find some dirt roads that lead to the sea.

I do the daily ritual of cruising through town to find a room and sometimes if it permits I go up to a high bluff over looking the town to scope it out.

Santa Rosalia is know for its mine. I only traveled 72 miles today, good conversation and interesting sites have slowed me down, but sometimes it's worth stopping to enjoy your trip.

Ever since the 2nd day in Baja getting stuck and not being able to communicate with friends and family I have settled in with the fact that I'm done trying to camp. Having wifi available, food and water close by, I'm just going to be getting rooms from here on out.
This place wasn't too bad for the money, so this is where I call home tonight.

Nice patio overlooking the sea and the city.

They're not done cleaning my room yet, so I head back into town to get something to eat.
This looks decent, and the waiter speaks English so I get a bit of a lesson on the preparing of the food.

The meat gets marinated and then piled on top of itself, then goes to a open flame source to cook. They then shave the meat off when ready to serve. Pretty simple and I try a few things off the menu.

Back at the room.

I hear some commotion outside my door just after sundown and go out to investigate. 5 guys are having a few beers after work and are staying at the hotel, as to not look suspicious, I walk back out to the patio and take a few night time shots.

Upon returning to my room I noticed a guy trying to stretch out a sore muscle and I offer him some Bio Freeze. I go back to my room and make the necessary e-mails and almost fall asleep. I go back outside the 5 guys are still there, but I get 2 beers handed to me. Alright, I took one.
Several beers later we're talking through google translator (mostly cuss words) and having good time. They keep offering beer and it's hard to refuse, but soon we're all to tired and probably drunk. It would have been fun to have recorded that night on video, 5 Mexicans and 1 Gringo (trying to speak Spanish) laughing at cuss works on a computer screen.

One of the guys who rides is interested in my bike. KTM magnetismo.

He asked me to send him this photo but I can't seem to get it to go to his e-mail, so hopefully he'll find it here.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 05:40 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
:

Great story telling most excellent adv.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Great report.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #24
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
That is the El Morro Motel....just south of town on the east side of highway....good place to stay...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Today I'm feeling a little more adventurous and want to try crossing thru the desert passing a couple of missions on my way back to the Pacific side.
I get up early, eat, top off the bike and make the turn off just after San Bruno towards Mission Guadalupe.
It's still early when the road starts to get narrow and rough.
There's a deer in the road and something caught my eye that made it out of place, there's a bell around it's neck, I slow down so not to spook it when I see another, but this time there's a guy trying to push it along. I thought deer where too jumpy for this kinda of behavior, must of been raising them from young.

I leave being amazed that this guy had the patience to raise this guys and gave me the opportunity to be this close to them.

The road starts getting rougher and further away from looking like a road.

After an hour of this.

And several times the bike gets tired and takes a nap.

I take a break under some shade trees and look at the map. Looks like I'll have at least 20 miles of this before reaching the Mission and decided to retreat.

This is definitely rough country.

Making my way back out to Mex 1 and heading to Mulege.

Hurricane Paul had done a number on this sleepy little town.

Mattress and clothing propped outside of homes to dry out.

I make it to the Mission but it's locked up, so no inside tour.

Water was passing through the 2nd story floor of this house. I missed these floods by a week, The ground was still drying out and everyone seemed to be working hard to restore order.

This helps explain the conditions of some of the roads I was taking.

Onward to Loreto the first settled town on the Baja peninsula.

I check out several hotels before settling on one.
I pay the agreed upon price and find my room at the furthest location from the lobby which is the only place to get wifi.

I don't have a good relaxed feeling here. A/C doesn't work, TV doesn't work, wifi is unreliable, parking lot is torn up, beach is dirty, mosquitos are insane, I'm the only guest, and it's a bit of a walk to town. But then again, they did just go through a severe storm, so I try not to let that get me down.

Bike barely squeezed through the door.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 05:50 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
That is the El Morro Motel....just south of town on the east side of highway....good place to stay...

Yes that is the Morro, and I would recommend it. Not only becuase I had good company.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
Great ride report! Our bikes are nearly twins but I'm not sure would have ridden through a lot of that stuff solo, cheers to you!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
The hotel in Loreto was the La Pinta. You should have turned right at the malecon and stayed at the Oasis Hotel. A much nicer place and unless it was tore up from the hurricane you would have enjoyed it much better.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Great ride report! Our bikes are nearly twins but I'm not sure would have ridden through a lot of that stuff solo, cheers to you!
The thing about these bikes. The more I ride it, the more capable I find it to be. The next thing is going to be S suspension.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
The hotel in Loreto was the La Pinta. You should have turned right at the malecon and stayed at the Oasis Hotel. A much nicer place and unless it was tore up from the hurricane you would have enjoyed it much better.
I did stop in there, however they don't take credit cards. I had planned on camping alot more, but things happen and I just got more comfortable getting a room.
After I crossed the border my bank canceled my cards, even tho I told them where I was going to be.
So I was burning through my pesos fast. After gettiing a hold of the bank they took the freeze off so now I needed to use the card to try and save some of the money. But yes, the Oasis looked nicer and the guy running the hotel was down to earth and cool.